What car brought you home from the hospital when you were born?

OldsDoug

Guest heftylefty

I was born in my grandparents' house, which in 1962 was considered really backwards and old fashioned. i guess that's why I've always been obsessed with old stuff.

Guest Rob McDonald

It was October '54 and my folks had a '39 Plymouth Business Coupe. They'd had what should have been a much nicer '49 Ford but it was such a lemon that they sold it at a huge loss, hence the very old Plymouth. Understandably, my dad never owned another Ford product. My own three kids were all born at home with the help of a midwife, so they'll never have this story to tell.

Guest heftylefty
It was October '54 and my folks had a '39 Plymouth Business Coupe. They'd had what should have been a much nicer '49 Ford but it was such a lemon that they sold it at a huge loss, hence the very old Plymouth. Understandably, my dad never owned another Ford product. My own three kids were all born at home with the help of a midwife, so they'll never have this story to tell.

Today, that's not shocking and in fact is considered fashionable in Hollywood but in the early sixties it was thought of as downright crazy. My mother still tells how they wanted to have her hauled to the rubber romper room when she and Dad went to the records office to get me birth-certificated. They were convinced I'd been kidnapped.

At any rate my first ride in a car was actually in a truck, Dad's 1960 International. I'm happy to report it's still very much running with its original driveline, but my brother had it repainted and reupholstered by Mexican lowrider types in Kansas City Kansas and a dopey sunroof put in. I learned to drive in a '65 VW Bug that is also still running and is also mostly original, besides having 12 volt electrics and so forth.

• 1 year later...
Guest Graham Clayton

23rd December 1964 - I was brought home in a brand new grey EH Holden Station Wagon, after my dad dropped my mum off at the hospital and traded in his FJ Holden ute for the EH!

post-88629-143142486717_thumb.jpg

A two-tone green 1956 Chevy four door sedan; my dad's first new car. Had that car until 1963 when it literally rusted apart. I can still remember him patching holes in the trunk floor with sheet tin and tar to trade it in!

Guest AlCapone

A 1929 Durant ( in 1945 ), blue in color. My father was a very hard working man that held a 6 day a week job and did lawn work in the evening to support the family. It was not a fancy car but it was ways clean and and as he said finally paid for. Those were as often said " the good ol days " !

Wayne