Sign in to follow this  
OldsDoug

What car brought you home from the hospital when you were born?

Hi, I think this is the greatist thread. I think my mom and dad walked me home because they didn't have a car. They lived close to the hosptal. The first car I remember was a 41 willy's coupe. My dad made a seat with a piece of wood across the back and I and my two sisters

sat on this whenever we went some place. He also played a game wih us when we were on the road, we had to identify every car that went by. He loved cars and that is were I get it.

Like Old Ohioan I was born at home 12/22/40. But, my dad had a baggage delivery business (picked up your baggage and delivered it to the the train station or vice versa) and had a 34 Ford commercial panel delivery (like a sedan delivery but on a pickup chassis and truck front sheetmetal). He was killed in this truck while I was less than a year old. He lost control and hit a utility pole. I have seen pictures of the truck and it split open like a ripe water melon. Really glad that modern cars and trucks are built better and safer.

i was brought home from the hospital in a 1956 pontiac safari station wagon, my dad was a car salesman at the fresno,ca. pontiac dealership then, the safari was his demo car. my second car in high school was a 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, still have it today. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, pontiac oakland club international

I was born in April 1949.I don't know if that was in time for the 49 Ford custom tudor my dad traded a 47? Studebaker in on.I still have the invoice to that Ford,I should look at the date the next time I see it.My dad was in the seabees in WWII.After the war, he came back to the home base in Quonset Pt,RIand married my mother who he had met in the USO.They drove toward Philadelphia,honeymooning along the way but their 42 Plymouth 4dr broke down 3 times along the way. They had to leave it in Connecticut and continue by train.His uncle took him back to pick it up later but that turned him off to Chrysler for all time.

1962 Ford Falcon.... the cardboard box the hospitol put me in was my crib for the next 3 months I'm told. We were poor, but Mom and Dad worked hard and many years later Dad now drives a 57 Red T-Bird for kicks.

Brought home to a new house and a new 1950 Pontiac "2569D" Chieftain DeLuxe Eight hydramatic in Berkshire green.

Don

I was brought home in a 1938 Buick, in January 1946. Still have some photos of that car. We lived in a two room log house that my Dad had built there in the 30s when he homesteaded the place. Then when I was six months old we moved into the new house that Dad had built on the place. Dad farmed and logged on a smaller scale and was owner operator of a school bus route there for 38 years. He even used the 38 Buick for a couple years on the bus route till there got to be too many kids and then bought a new 1941 Ford bus which I still have the original bill of sale for. Oh, I also have the bill of sale for the 38 Buick yet. Dad was great for keeping receipts forever, and I still have bills of sale for other cars and farm equipment he bought also.

How I would love to go back to those days again.

Ray

Edited by rayfromray (see edit history)

A blurry picture my Dad took of his prized possession..he told me how he loved this Packard..and should have never sold it.

He wrote on the margin..

I came home from Hospital on the day this was taken...from what I was told.

picture.php?albumid=2781&pictureid=22914

A good hard working married blue collar veteran..that had a Packard..and now a son..

Miss you Dad every day..

Edited by Docc (see edit history)

I came home in a dark green 1951 Buick Special two-door sedan. I was born in 1952. My son was born in 1980 and I drove him home in a Cameo white 1979 WS-6 Trans Am with the T/A 6.6 engine.

Edited by dooscoop32 (see edit history)

Dark blue 1947 Ford Super Deluxe 2 door sedan. I still remember riding in it even though I was 3 or 4 when my parents traded it for a '51 Ford Crestline Victoria hardtop.

I came home in a 50 Plymouth.

My sons came home in an 89 volvo 240. I tried to persuade them to take their drivers test in it, but no dice. It was the mom mobile and morphed into my everyday driver. 290K and counting.

Zimm

My Dad & Mom had a 1953 DeSoto Powermaster 4 dr.

This car had an electrical shift system with a clutch on an automatic transmision. Transmission also had parking break drum on tailshaft !

As a kid I loved that big two-tone green monster with all those great big chrome DeSoto teeth !

I thought it was alive !

You could live in the back seat area.

I still have the owner's manual !

Seems like I've answered this but maybe not. My parents had a '47 Ford Super Deluxe 2 door fastback when I was born. I remember riding in it as a child. I remember when they traded it for a '51 Ford Crestline Victoria 2 door hardtop. I can see the '47 in the driveway with the '51 behind it and the salesman and my mother and father standing in the driveway talking. They didn't keep the '51 very long; my mother said it shifted hard. They traded it for a '54 Crestline Victoria with Ford-o-matic and power steering. It's interesting, I've owned about 30 cars in my lifetime, my father had the '47 Ford, the '51 Ford, '54 Ford, a '59 Impala and a '66 Impala when he passed away in 1973.

How about the car my friend John Stuart came home from the hospital in, a '36 Cord Westchester. forward about 50 years to around 15 years ago; I purchased a derelict Cord-bodied hot rod built in the early '50's called the Cord-O-Matic, as it had a rocket 88 engine with hydramatic, linked to a Columbia 2 speed rear. All the inside goodies were still Cord, which was what I was primarily after. Incidentially, did I say that it had a '47 Lincoln front, held on by 32 pounds of lead? Quite a deal, cleverly executed, though a bit crude. Anyway, cutting to the chase, after removing everything right down to the Cord body hulk, I called John to ask him how he had gotten rid of a similar Cord hulk. As I described it to him I could almost hear his jaw drop. It was the Cord he had come home in, confirmed positively. Where did I dispose of it? You guessed it, John got it. Though there wasn't enough there to restore it as a Cord, he made a very cool rod out of it, complete with ac and ps. Didn't chop it up either, so that it could still become a Cord again. I'm not a rodder, but I applaud how this hulk which otherwise had a very doubtful future was saved. Just thought I'd string you along with this Cord tale.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

I was brought home in a 49 Monarch, the Canadian version of the 49 Merc. I don't realy remember it as a few years later it was replaced by a 51 Ford. I do remember that one. Then a 54 ford. My father has always had a preference for Ford, even though he worked for a GM dealer for 35 years. He still drives a Ford F150. I have a 1969 Merc Cyclone {428 C.J Ram air} in addition to my early cars.

Greg in Canada

A black 1952 Plymouth Cambridge 4-door sedan. I have a carbon-copy sitting in my garage today.

Heres what brought me home, my folks 1985 Chevrolet Astro, the first year they came out. Here it is parked in front of our apartment on Parkside Drive on the northwest side of Chicago. On the other side of the trees was the Kennedy Expressway. They bought it brand new, it was a completly stripped down model. I think the only options it had on it was AC and an FM radio. Im probably one of the younger members, I was born Feb 14, 1986. They drove that van untill the wheels fell off, I remember when my Dad sold it in about 1996 with well over 200K on the clock. I know its nothing special and probably will never be a collectors item, but I have lots of fond memories riding around in that thing!

post-60198-143138317787_thumb.jpg

Edited by mercman86 (see edit history)

I was rushed to the hospital in my sister's 1978 Camaro Z28.

My mom said dad hit the rail road tracks in town around 80 and she thought I was going to be born in the car.

sc0008d5e6.jpg