Sign in to follow this  
OldsDoug

What car brought you home from the hospital when you were born?

I'm believe it was my dad's worn out 1928 Star. The year was 1933. Does anyone have a picture of this car? The next car dad owned was a totally worn out 1934 Dodge Brothers. I learned to drive with this car. My first vehicle was a 1950 Studebaker half ton. Today my daily driver is a 1980 Plymouth Volare with just over 100,000 km (60,000 miles) original on it. I bought this car when it had about 40,000 km on it. It had always been stored under cover, and the back seat had never been sat on. It looks and runs like new, and best of all I can look under the hood and recognize everything. Thus I can still fix it, if need be. The only modification I have made is to convert it to propane. This is my 4th propane powered vehicle. My first propane powered car was a 1972 Buick Skylark, which I used to pull my holiday trailer across Canada with in 1988. I have never had any desire to own a new car and likely never will. Today's cars are mostly look-alike rolling blobs with no style, and are impossible to work on in many cases. I look under the hood and say; "that's nice. What is it?" This ends my history of the road lesson! Bye for now.

A 1956 Cadillac Limousine. My brother and sister came home in a 1949 Cadillac Limousine. Both of my daughters came home in a 1983 AMC Concord Station Wagon.

post-30704-143138064406_thumb.jpg

post-30704-143138064407_thumb.jpg

What brought me home was a 1949 Buick ,what brought my daughter home was a 1967 Buick GS 340 drag pack car that I bought new and I still have , It has but 20k on it and has never been wet .It is original and as new . Stuart

It was a maroon 1947 Hudson Commodore Eight Drivemaster sedan.

My father thought a lot of that car. He said he never had a car that handled as well or held the corners until he bought a Mercedes in 1972.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I don't know for sure. But I belive it was an 28 dodge. My first two daughters came home in a 51 ford viick. Next two were in 62 2 dr. vick. Plan to take my last ride in my 37 Dodge buisness coupe. This one of the best postings ever.

Duanek

Not sure if it was a 1950 or a 1951 red Plymouth "Savoy". One of their friends had a similar one but it was more of a Chinese Red. Our's was true red. Dad loved red cars with lots of chrome. :)

How about getting back the car you came home from he hospital in, 50 YEARS AFTER IT WAS GONE, GONE, GONE.. It happend to a friend, and I was involved unknowingly.

John's father bought a disabled '36 Cord cheap in the early '40's. John got the ride from the hospital in it when he was born. The car was sold to a race driver/mechanic who In the early '50's created a lead sled rod called the "Cord-o-Matic" out of it. At the time it got some note by the automotive press. It had an Olds Rocket engine with hydramatic, and was converted to rear wheel drive with a Columbia 2 speed rear. The front sheet metal was stretched and converted to 47 LINCOLN! Over the years it became a derelict. A last attempt by a UPS driver at making something from it ended with all removeable sheet metal rusting away because the parts weren't primed after being sand blasted. I found it for sale in Olney, Md. and bought it because it still had some very desireable Cord parts, i.e. radio, instruments, windshield frames, you get the idea. All this while I had no knowlege at all of the provenance of this hulk. After picking it clean of Cord goodies (and melting 32 pounds of lead off it) I went about trying to decide what to do with the decrepit Cord body shell. I called John, now in Georgia, who had restored a Cord and stripped another, a derelict too, himself earlier. As I was describing the remains to him, I almost heard his jaw drop (as if you could over the phone), when I told him about a placque on the dash that said "custom Built by Walter Wenger". He said THAT WAS MY FATHER'S CORD! It all checked out, and it was. John got it, spent a ton of time on it, and look what he made out of it.

post-54604-143138132949_thumb.jpg

post-54604-143138132952_thumb.jpg

My dad had just bought a NEW blue Buick 2-dr fastback. He thought he was on the top of the world (I was the only son). We had that car until I was 10!

I ditin get brunged home in nuttin, I was borned at home. But more years ago then I like to think about. The first family car that I can remember was a Buick sport touring, used to my parents of course, we were in the depression.--Bob

Like several others, born at home. As an aside, what was the latest anyone was born at home? Me, 1948.

W-e-l-l-l-l-l-l...I was born at home but rumor has it I was conceived in the back of my Dad's 37 Chevy convert. ;-)

The 1941 Dodge took my grandma to the hospital in 1957 to have my mom, see link to article....

My dad: 1957 Impala brought them home

Me: I think it was a Chevette

My sister: 1993 Corsica

Born in June of '63, my dad's ride at the time was a white '58 Olds Ninety-Eight Coupe, my Mom's favorite car, as she remembers all the chrome, the red leather interior, and the sparkles in the carpet. About two months later, my dad parked his car along the side of the road, walked across the street, and heard the awful sound of a drunk driver crashing right into that beautiful ride. But, as is sometimes the case, bad things lead to good things, and as a result of this, he ended up getting the Willow Mist '62 Olds Starfire Coupe that is the first car I remember him having, and needless to say is the reason I purchased a black '62 Starfire Coupe. Both the '58 and the '62 are my favorite cars, and I hope to have the good fortune of someday owning a Chromesmobile as well.

Like several others, born at home. As an aside, what was the latest anyone was born at home? Me, 1948.

My youngest grandchild, Wade age 6 1/2, was born at home and delivered by my step-son Richard. They had a mid-wife there also but Richard had taken wilderness first-aid training that included how to deliver a baby so he was qualified to deliver his own son. :)

Wow. Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I think it's neat. I never thought about this. I guess I would have been brought home from the hospital in a 1983 Buick Skyhawk that my dad bought new in '83 when his '77 Datsun B210 gave out. His first car was a '71 Dodge Duster. Not very glamorous, but they're all AACA eligible now. I wouldn't mind the Datsun or Dodge. :) The Buick looked just like this:

photo.jpg

P.S., I was born in 1991.

Also, I remember when I was three, my dad teaching me how a manual transmission worked and letting me shift when he told me in the Buick.

1971 AMC Hornet Sport About. Brown with woodgrain sides. I also remember from my early childhood a '73 Sport About and later an AMC Eagle 4x4 wagon. My Mom loved those things.

I came home in a '77 Pontiac Firebird with a 301 and a four on the floor. My brother came home in that car's successor which was a 78 Firebird with a 305 and an auto. We were born in '86 and '89 respectively.

I was brought home in a new 1955 Buick Special 2-Door Hardtop painted

red and white with wide white wall tires by mom and dad.

The hospital where I was born is now deserted and boarded up,the car

is long gone and my dad has past away.

Time and age sure changes things. Jeff