What car brought you home from the hospital when you were born?

OldsDoug

Guest stuart Silverman

What brought me home was a 1949 Buick ,what brought my daughter home was a 1967 Buick GS 340 drag pack car that I bought new and I still have , It has but 20k on it and has never been wet .It is original and as new . Stuart

I don't know for sure. But I belive it was an 28 dodge. My first two daughters came home in a 51 ford viick. Next two were in 62 2 dr. vick. Plan to take my last ride in my 37 Dodge buisness coupe. This one of the best postings ever.

Duanek

How about getting back the car you came home from he hospital in, 50 YEARS AFTER IT WAS GONE, GONE, GONE.. It happend to a friend, and I was involved unknowingly.

John's father bought a disabled '36 Cord cheap in the early '40's. John got the ride from the hospital in it when he was born. The car was sold to a race driver/mechanic who In the early '50's created a lead sled rod called the "Cord-o-Matic" out of it. At the time it got some note by the automotive press. It had an Olds Rocket engine with hydramatic, and was converted to rear wheel drive with a Columbia 2 speed rear. The front sheet metal was stretched and converted to 47 LINCOLN! Over the years it became a derelict. A last attempt by a UPS driver at making something from it ended with all removeable sheet metal rusting away because the parts weren't primed after being sand blasted. I found it for sale in Olney, Md. and bought it because it still had some very desireable Cord parts, i.e. radio, instruments, windshield frames, you get the idea. All this while I had no knowlege at all of the provenance of this hulk. After picking it clean of Cord goodies (and melting 32 pounds of lead off it) I went about trying to decide what to do with the decrepit Cord body shell. I called John, now in Georgia, who had restored a Cord and stripped another, a derelict too, himself earlier. As I was describing the remains to him, I almost heard his jaw drop (as if you could over the phone), when I told him about a placque on the dash that said "custom Built by Walter Wenger". He said THAT WAS MY FATHER'S CORD! It all checked out, and it was. John got it, spent a ton of time on it, and look what he made out of it.

post-54604-143138132949_thumb.jpg

post-54604-143138132952_thumb.jpg

Guest 41_packard

My dad had just bought a NEW blue Buick 2-dr fastback. He thought he was on the top of the world (I was the only son). We had that car until I was 10!

Born in June of '63, my dad's ride at the time was a white '58 Olds Ninety-Eight Coupe, my Mom's favorite car, as she remembers all the chrome, the red leather interior, and the sparkles in the carpet. About two months later, my dad parked his car along the side of the road, walked across the street, and heard the awful sound of a drunk driver crashing right into that beautiful ride. But, as is sometimes the case, bad things lead to good things, and as a result of this, he ended up getting the Willow Mist '62 Olds Starfire Coupe that is the first car I remember him having, and needless to say is the reason I purchased a black '62 Starfire Coupe. Both the '58 and the '62 are my favorite cars, and I hope to have the good fortune of someday owning a Chromesmobile as well.

Like several others, born at home. As an aside, what was the latest anyone was born at home? Me, 1948.

My youngest grandchild, Wade age 6 1/2, was born at home and delivered by my step-son Richard. They had a mid-wife there also but Richard had taken wilderness first-aid training that included how to deliver a baby so he was qualified to deliver his own son. :)

Guest sdzaiser

Wow. Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I think it's neat. I never thought about this. I guess I would have been brought home from the hospital in a 1983 Buick Skyhawk that my dad bought new in '83 when his '77 Datsun B210 gave out. His first car was a '71 Dodge Duster. Not very glamorous, but they're all AACA eligible now. I wouldn't mind the Datsun or Dodge. :) The Buick looked just like this:

photo.jpg

P.S., I was born in 1991.

Guest sdzaiser

Also, I remember when I was three, my dad teaching me how a manual transmission worked and letting me shift when he told me in the Buick.

1971 AMC Hornet Sport About. Brown with woodgrain sides. I also remember from my early childhood a '73 Sport About and later an AMC Eagle 4x4 wagon. My Mom loved those things.

Guest 84TransAm

I came home in a '77 Pontiac Firebird with a 301 and a four on the floor. My brother came home in that car's successor which was a 78 Firebird with a 305 and an auto. We were born in '86 and '89 respectively.

• 4 months later...
Guest jeff1956

I was brought home in a new 1955 Buick Special 2-Door Hardtop painted

red and white with wide white wall tires by mom and dad.

The hospital where I was born is now deserted and boarded up,the car

is long gone and my dad has past away.

Time and age sure changes things. Jeff

Hi, I think this is the greatist thread. I think my mom and dad walked me home because they didn't have a car. They lived close to the hosptal. The first car I remember was a 41 willy's coupe. My dad made a seat with a piece of wood across the back and I and my two sisters

sat on this whenever we went some place. He also played a game wih us when we were on the road, we had to identify every car that went by. He loved cars and that is were I get it.

Guest Bob Call

Like Old Ohioan I was born at home 12/22/40. But, my dad had a baggage delivery business (picked up your baggage and delivered it to the the train station or vice versa) and had a 34 Ford commercial panel delivery (like a sedan delivery but on a pickup chassis and truck front sheetmetal). He was killed in this truck while I was less than a year old. He lost control and hit a utility pole. I have seen pictures of the truck and it split open like a ripe water melon. Really glad that modern cars and trucks are built better and safer.

i was brought home from the hospital in a 1956 pontiac safari station wagon, my dad was a car salesman at the fresno,ca. pontiac dealership then, the safari was his demo car. my second car in high school was a 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, still have it today. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, pontiac oakland club international

I was born in April 1949.I don't know if that was in time for the 49 Ford custom tudor my dad traded a 47? Studebaker in on.I still have the invoice to that Ford,I should look at the date the next time I see it.My dad was in the seabees in WWII.After the war, he came back to the home base in Quonset Pt,RIand married my mother who he had met in the USO.They drove toward Philadelphia,honeymooning along the way but their 42 Plymouth 4dr broke down 3 times along the way. They had to leave it in Connecticut and continue by train.His uncle took him back to pick it up later but that turned him off to Chrysler for all time.

Guest rayfromray

I was brought home in a 1938 Buick, in January 1946. Still have some photos of that car. We lived in a two room log house that my Dad had built there in the 30s when he homesteaded the place. Then when I was six months old we moved into the new house that Dad had built on the place. Dad farmed and logged on a smaller scale and was owner operator of a school bus route there for 38 years. He even used the 38 Buick for a couple years on the bus route till there got to be too many kids and then bought a new 1941 Ford bus which I still have the original bill of sale for. Oh, I also have the bill of sale for the 38 Buick yet. Dad was great for keeping receipts forever, and I still have bills of sale for other cars and farm equipment he bought also.

How I would love to go back to those days again.

Ray

Edited by rayfromray (see edit history)

A blurry picture my Dad took of his prized possession..he told me how he loved this Packard..and should have never sold it.

He wrote on the margin..

I came home from Hospital on the day this was taken...from what I was told.

picture.php?albumid=2781&pictureid=22914

A good hard working married blue collar veteran..that had a Packard..and now a son..

Miss you Dad every day..

Edited by Docc (see edit history)

Guest dooscoop32

I came home in a dark green 1951 Buick Special two-door sedan. I was born in 1952. My son was born in 1980 and I drove him home in a Cameo white 1979 WS-6 Trans Am with the T/A 6.6 engine.

Edited by dooscoop32 (see edit history)

I came home in a 50 Plymouth.

My sons came home in an 89 volvo 240. I tried to persuade them to take their drivers test in it, but no dice. It was the mom mobile and morphed into my everyday driver. 290K and counting.

Zimm

• 5 months later...
Guest Silverghost

My Dad & Mom had a 1953 DeSoto Powermaster 4 dr.

This car had an electrical shift system with a clutch on an automatic transmision. Transmission also had parking break drum on tailshaft !

As a kid I loved that big two-tone green monster with all those great big chrome DeSoto teeth !

I thought it was alive !

You could live in the back seat area.

I still have the owner's manual !

Seems like I've answered this but maybe not. My parents had a '47 Ford Super Deluxe 2 door fastback when I was born. I remember riding in it as a child. I remember when they traded it for a '51 Ford Crestline Victoria 2 door hardtop. I can see the '47 in the driveway with the '51 behind it and the salesman and my mother and father standing in the driveway talking. They didn't keep the '51 very long; my mother said it shifted hard. They traded it for a '54 Crestline Victoria with Ford-o-matic and power steering. It's interesting, I've owned about 30 cars in my lifetime, my father had the '47 Ford, the '51 Ford, '54 Ford, a '59 Impala and a '66 Impala when he passed away in 1973.

How about the car my friend John Stuart came home from the hospital in, a '36 Cord Westchester. forward about 50 years to around 15 years ago; I purchased a derelict Cord-bodied hot rod built in the early '50's called the Cord-O-Matic, as it had a rocket 88 engine with hydramatic, linked to a Columbia 2 speed rear. All the inside goodies were still Cord, which was what I was primarily after. Incidentially, did I say that it had a '47 Lincoln front, held on by 32 pounds of lead? Quite a deal, cleverly executed, though a bit crude. Anyway, cutting to the chase, after removing everything right down to the Cord body hulk, I called John to ask him how he had gotten rid of a similar Cord hulk. As I described it to him I could almost hear his jaw drop. It was the Cord he had come home in, confirmed positively. Where did I dispose of it? You guessed it, John got it. Though there wasn't enough there to restore it as a Cord, he made a very cool rod out of it, complete with ac and ps. Didn't chop it up either, so that it could still become a Cord again. I'm not a rodder, but I applaud how this hulk which otherwise had a very doubtful future was saved. Just thought I'd string you along with this Cord tale.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

I was brought home in a 49 Monarch, the Canadian version of the 49 Merc. I don't realy remember it as a few years later it was replaced by a 51 Ford. I do remember that one. Then a 54 ford. My father has always had a preference for Ford, even though he worked for a GM dealer for 35 years. He still drives a Ford F150. I have a 1969 Merc Cyclone {428 C.J Ram air} in addition to my early cars.

Greg in Canada