Level Control - Riviera

sosuzguy

Gang,

Recently I had a problem with my ELC on my 85. The exhaust solenoid is closing after it opens to let air out but still leaks down after it closes. These exhause solenoids or valves as GM calls them are discontinued and no one has any. Same thing with the level compressor Part No. 22049806. However the dryers are still available, 22153445. I've been through all of my salvage supply and only had one that didn't leak. Doesn't make any sense that the dryers are still available but none of the other componets. I've been calling around and checking online for either replacment compressors or rebuild/aftermarkets. None to be had unless you want one for the 95+ Riv's or for Lincolns. The service manuals says "E-body cars are to maintain minimum of 15-20 psi in the rear shocks at all times for improved ride characteristics" and it really does make a ride difference. Does anyone know of someone who can repair these solenoids or compressors or who offers replacements? I found it hard to believe that with all the other Cadillac, Buicks & Olds out there that used these no one carries them. When I reconnected my ELC system I had to use a plastic T with a schrader valve to connect the air line where it had been cut. I'd like to replace the T/schrader combo with a T I could permantly screw in a pressure gauge but I've been having problems finding anything to fit it for that application. Any ideas? Thanks

Jayson,

Try car-part.com; I at least saw air ride compressors listed for 79-85 Buick Rivieras and compatable autos (eldos, etc). Then when you call the particular yard dealer, you can ask if they have any other related working parts (?).

Today I shipped off my compressor to a company to rebuilds the 95+ Riv compressors and the 85-93 Deville/Fleetwood compressors. I also included the schematic for the tech who said he would look at it and see if they could rebuild it but he didn't see why not. The only problem might be the valving arrangement in the dryer that is specific to Riviera. Keeping my fingers crossing.

Hello Jayson:

Please keep us posted as to the success of the compressor rebuild. If you are satisfied, provide the company contact info. I'm sure some of us have (or will have) ELC compressors which need attention!

I checked my shop manual and see that our style compressor has a few 'O' rings and a 'head' gasket. One or more of these air sealing area may be leaking and a rebuild should correct the issue. I can't imagine the newer style compressors are that much different.

Paul