Sign in to follow this  
keiser31

Which of your past rides do you miss the most?

When I was in college, we had a '51 Studebaker Commander State convertible in light blue. Boy, I wish I had that car today.

Rog

Newer stuff...A 1975 Chevy Nova, 250 CID 6 Cylinder,and a 3 speed automatic transmission. Light blue with light blue interior. The toughest dang car Chevy ever built.

Old stuff... 1911 Stoddard Dayton Roadster. I only had part of the car. If I had the motor and Transmission it would still be in my garage. whistle.gif Dandy Dave!

i miss my 1958 chevy impala convertible that i bought for $50..from an elderly lady... it was my first car and i loved it.. we made it a family project to fix it up.. it look so gorgeous with its baby moons and jet black body and red interior and dual exhausts.. i have a pic of it somewhere....

1956 Austin Healy 100-4. I suprised many 307 Chevys and Mustangs with it. Got beat by a Sunbeam tiger though.

One day the car was parked at the beach, when I returned there was a young lady sitting in it waiting for a ride.

Pickins don't get any easier than that. Wish I had a picture of it, but they burned in a house fire. I paid $900 and a 49 Plymouth for it in 1966.

I had a Triumph TR-4 in the early early 70's that had an Olds/Buick 215 V8 in it. I always remember it fondly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldsDoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was that the engine (or derivative) that was used in the TR-8? I'd forgotten about them... </div></div>

Yes it was. GM sold the tooling to the British. The revised metric version was used by Rover, Triumph, Morgan and perhaps others.

The guy who built my car had a "TR-V8" emblem made to replace the trunk lid "TR-4" It was a lot of fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Dube</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The guy who built my car had a "TR-V8" emblem made to replace the trunk lid "TR-4" It was a lot of fun. </div></div>

I bet! Long ago, guy I went to high school with, his brother had an Austin Healey 3000 with a Chevy V8 in it... that was pretty cool! He always talked about putting a V8 in a Metropolitan...

The car I miss the most and wish I had kept rather than some of the older iron I did hang on to, was my '64 Chevelle 2 dr, SS, in white with a black vinyl interior, 4 speed, positraction, and big V8. It drove well, looked good, and was a pretend muscle car. I bought it new, but a growing family soon made it impractical, so we traded it in on a Ford Station wagon. Big mistake.

Pete P.

The car I miss most was my 1979 Continental Mark V Cartier edition. Most people here do not seem to like the 1970's cars, but I thought it was great. It had beautiful styling, handled well for a car of its size, and was loaded with every modern convenience, even moonroof. Plus it had the extra fun of the designer snob appeal to even further distinguish it from other Mark V's. And it was a real Cartier, not just one with a Cartier clock like they try to pass off on Ebay all the time as a Cartier. I bought it as my only car in 1996. The guy bought it new and had offers on it, but didn't want to sell it to anyone that was going to just use it as a beater. I was the only one to promise to take care of it, so he even drastically reduced the price so I could afford to buy it when he had other higher offers. We even argued about who would keep the Cartier dash plaque with his name engraved on it. I won.

I used it as a daily driver until 2004. Then it was "retired" and was used only as a show car. I was slowly minting it out and had just spend $1200 on repairs in May 2007. Everything that had been irritating me about for years had been fixed. Less than 24 hours later it was rear ended by an 18 year old idiot with no insurance that was too busy talking on his cell phone to notice that all the cars were stopped in front of him. He just plowed into it at about 40 mph and totaled it. The Cartier dash plaque and a few other small items are all I have left of it.

It took about a year and a half before I found a 1976 Mark IV Givenchy to replace it. It is a nice car, but I liked the Cartier better. And of course the Givenchy has no interesting history behind it or sentimental value.

I have probably owned 50 vehicles in my life, but the one I would like to have back was a '63 Studebaker Daytona 2 door hardtop. I paid $29 for it while I was in college and ended up selling it at the end of the school year for $60. No way to get it back as the new owner (who I am still friends with 30 odd years later) parted it out. A well optioned car with power disc brakes, AT, AM radio, vanity, etc.

As far as beaters, the '70 Pontiac LeMans Sport I bought for $75 in 1979. It hadn't been run in almost 2 years, but with a battery and 5 seconds of cranking, I had it running. Nothing fancy (350 2V, AT w/ console), but it was reliable and fun to drive. I parked it because I was too cheap to fix the upper control arm bushings.

Pulled the engine and helped an employee install it in his Firebird and dropped the rest at a junkyard. However, I did jack it up and take the 2 front wheels and tires as they only had 1500 miles on them. I also just ran across the bolt on U-Haul hitch I had for it.

I really miss my 1936 Dodge Brothers dual sidemount touring sedan. We (my dad) bought it for $450.00 from a guy in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. On the way home, we realized why it was so cheap for being so beautiful. The rear end gear had a tooth or two missing and every mile or so, the rear gears would lock up and we would screech to a halt. I found a parts car for $25.00 and replaced the gears. Went to back out of the garage and put the car in reverse. Let out the clutch and boom....the car went forward and hit the back wall of the garage! WHAT THE H>>>??? Tried it again with the same results. Turned out that I had installed the gears in upside-down. I had three reverse gears and 1 forward gear! I drove the car to my high school and let the auto shop teacher turn the gears right side-up. I always giggle about that dumb mistake. I always laugh aloud when I remember the look and the reaction from my father. He was very amused.

That car had a black lacquer paint job that was awesome. The interior was beautifully original. I did a manual valve cleanup on it and it ran sweetly. My dad said "Let's sell it and paint the '31 Dodge.". We sold it to a guy whose wife forced him to keep it outdoors and it was trashed COMPLETELY by vandals. I cried out loud when I last saw it. It was parked on the back parking lot at the Dolly Madison Apartments in Royal Oak, Michigan when I last saw it. I only hope that it was saved by some caring person.

post-37352-143138043716_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313804372_thumb.jpg

Projects, I rarely finish anything. 1933 Lagonda, 1912 AC 3Wheeler, Two man 1930's race car (sold it, bought it back, sold it again and REALLY regret it know that its history is known) and 1932 Ford Victoria.

My first car was a texas Tan and cream 52 Hudson Hornet and I owned it for 20 years, so I miss that one.

In newer cars I miss a new 77 Dodge Diplomat 2dr and a new 77 Dodge Charger that were demonstraters. Also a new Pacer X that was a good driving car.

sheldon

Two Corvair Monzas - my first and third new cars. Unkillable. I drove 'em like I hated 'em (I really didn't) and they always came back for more. Also right up there was my '63 Ferrari 250 GTE 2+2, which I bought used in '68. The Colombo V-12 was a lot less fussy than many people think. I put about 30,000 miles on it in a little over two years. Modern cars? I bought an '88 Mercedes 300E that I'd like to still have, but my 2002 M-B CLK430 AMG coupe is still runnin' like a train and may be the best car I ever owned --- overall. Solid, fun to drive handles great and stops on a dime. Most of all it's faster than my old Ferrari! But unlike the Ferrari, cops don't pay it much attention at all. laugh.gif

clovers (Pat Durkin)

post-60334-143138047335_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Z </div></div>

?

Restored a 1963 Buick Riviera in the late 1980's.I only had about $3800 in the car but it looked great.Triple black with the wire hubcaps.Sold it to buy a house.Now I have a 65 riv,triple black,luv it,but it would be neat to have both.

Out of all the cars I have owned, the one that stands out in my mind was a 67 Cadillac sedan deville, sky blue with a dark blue interior. Low milage and great shape for a 20 year old. I saw an ad in the paper for it saying it was not running. Bought it from an old couple for 300.00 and towed it home. It had started "smoking" and quit running so they did not check what was wrong, just went and bought a new Chrysler. Replaced a blown radiator hose and dried out everything that had been saturated with antifreeze and it was ready to take our family on many outings.

I wish I had never gotten rid of my '75 Monte Carlo. I know, not exactly on anyone's hot list, but it had great lines and styling. Mine only had a 305, but that didn't stop it from getting up and going, and it cornered on a rail. I loved driving that car. It was always referred to by friends as the "Batmobile".

Hey Wayne, I think he fell asleep Before he could tell us if it was a Z-28 Camero, or a Z-280 Datsun. shocked.gif

I think he is still laying on the keyboard...ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. Hey you up there, wake up and smell the coffee. wink.gif

laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

Think we always have a special place for our first car. In my case it was a white XK-150S roadster (triple carb, gold head). At the time I really wanted a TR-3 (A or B) but could afford the Jag. Then I found out why (still have some whitworth wrenches).

Nine Jags later I kicked the habit (except for needing an oil pressure gauge in all cars) and for three decades have had GM cars that were made in the USA but that first Jag may be the reason I now have a white Reatta roadster. Even has 16 inch wheels (but not 6.00x16 RS5s). Just love the sound of a healhy six.

post-31022-143138047712_thumb.jpg