Sign in to follow this  
abh3usn

How did you get started/addicted to old cars?

F&J....Thanks very much for the compliment. I love drawing old cars and would love to draw yours. What do you own? Send me a photo or description of it at keiser31@charter.net.

I also do photos of folk's cars, but I do not travel far to do it.

John

Yes....I am addicted and so here are some more early drawings of mine that helped me deal with not having a license yet.

post-37352-143138043486_thumb.jpg

I met my wife in 1988. At the time she was driveing a 71 Chevelle that was not fit or safe to drive. It had a bad master cyl. that no one SEAMED able to find. I think they thought she didnt have the money to fix it. I drove it awrond the block and brought it right back and put a new cyl. on. We married in Dec. of that year and I bought her a brand new Olds. Cutless. I just about gave the Chvelle away to a kid in the army,and thats when the trouble started. For the next 3-6mo. every time we saw a Chevelle I heard (I used to have one) I told her if she could find anouther with a fair or good body I would buy it. Dont care about the drive train,I can fix that.

Well she found a real beaut. Some ask me how much I was paid to haul it away. It was so bad it made her old rust bucket look show ready. I had to gut the whole inside, and I had a new paint job put on. About this time the drummer in my band (he is near blind) told me I should take it to a car show. I ask him what the heck is a car show and let him talk me in to a local show. Anyway that was 14 years ago, and yes I created a monster.

I was car-crazy since the youngest childhood.

At 4, I could name every car that drove by.

At 5, I stole my uncle's car for a very brief ride (folks, don't ever leave a kid in a car with keys in it, not even for "a minute". If uncle hadn't done a championship sprint to jump in as I was driving off, I might not be here telling this story today. But even while barely big enough to see over the dashboard, I already knew how to take off in a car with a MANUAL smile.gif )

At 11, dad bought our first family car, a used '74 Mazda RX-4 Rotary wagon. Nobody in our family ever owned a car prior to that. So knowing no better, of course our first car just had to be the worst lemon ever. The car died a few months later. Having no money - or garage, or proper tools - dad and I rebuilt that damned rotary engine in the street in the middle of winter.

At 14, I started working part-time jobs and saving every penny. So at 17, I was able to buy my first car with my own money, a '79 Monte Carlo.

20 years later, I found one just like it, same year, same color. And that's my baby today. During those years I've had several much older cars ('58 Chevy, etc.), but had to let them go. The Monte may not be a very interesting choice to most folks here, but it's for keeps.

Great drawings there, by the way. That pic of a kid doodling in class sure rings a bell. Here's some of the doodling I've done in my schooldays:

ec259fab43c4c39d41.jpg

Easy, an awesome father who always had old cars and an endless passion for them.

Grew up around it. My dad has had a barnfull of cars long before my time, so between that and going to shows, it's in the blood.

My dad has always been a car enthusiast. He, like others on the board, can take one glance at a car in garage a 100 feed off the raod as we pass at 45 mph and call it out, "'29 Model A or '63 Tempest or...". I always marvelled at his knowledge. As a boy, I enjoyed sitting in the garage with him as he worked on one of the cars, listening and learning, content to hand him wrenches awaiting the day the he would offer to let me turn a bolt or squeeze the grease gun. I eventually got my turn (or turns, if you will) So, here we are some 30+ years later, and the roles are a bit reversed. Now I'm the one under the Chrysler and he's handing wrenches (and usually giving instruction, needed or not). But caught at the right moment, I see that glimpse of anticipation in his face, awaiting the invitation to turn a bolt or grease a fitting. It's a love that never dies.

Rob

1931 Chrysler CD8 Royal Sedan (One Family Owner)

1959 Ford Galaxie

I'm older than most here (66) and always loved cars. I remember my father trying to keep his used '37 Ford running right after WW2. Also a '37-38 Cord conv junked on a street in the Bronx n.y. I also remember being in the back seat crossing the George Washington bridge from N.J. and there was a stop light at the Bronx end where we made a left to go home. In school all I did was draw cars.

Inherited my addiction (wife says craziness) from Dad (now 85). In 1963 he came across a 49 Ford that made it to Toronto from British Columbia. Had spent all its life there away from salt and being just a kid found Dad's appreciation for the condition facinating. I remember laying on the ground when he did the oil changes and looking at the floor which still had paint from the factory!

Then after moving to Windsor Dad joined the local Antique Car Club and when a member wanted to sell his 1920 Overland touring off went the Ford to help with the purchase. Dads favorite saying was "if I had only saved my first car, think what it would be worth today". That car being a 1926 Model T roadster. Well, that stuck for me and when he handed down to me a 1958 Buick limited 2dr in 1970 I still have that plus the next two cars, 1958 Buick Special convert (dated my wife in this car) and 1958 Roadmaster convert all bought within 5 years.

Here is where my wife is probably right, someday I will be inheriting the Overland along with Dad's 1928 Whippet cabriolet and 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman! My two car garage at home runneth over but is not boring to the neighbors.

And so it goes, my two sons so far have their first cars and only time will tell how that goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How did your addiction set in? </div></div>

I realized one day that I had way too much money. Thanks to modern sanitation, try as I might, I couldn't find a rat hole to p**s it down so I did next best thing.........Old cars.......Bob

I wrote what I feel is an entertaining article on this very topic for my online newsletter, <span style="font-style: italic">Car Collector Chronicles</span>. For anyone with an interest, it starts on Page 2 of the Inaugural Edition (11/2008), which you can get to from this link:

Car Collector Chronicles (11/2008)

The 1st earliest thing I can remember in my life was when I was around 3. Standing on the corner whatching the cool cars from the 50's drive by. I was born in 62. even the early 60's seemed cool to me. While standing on the corner one of the local cops came by and threw tootsie rolls out to me. I told my grandmother, and she said "oh, that's tootsie, he does that to kids to let them know cops are their friend. My uncle had a 63 Studebaker lark, I slept in the back window shelf on a trip, it became my first car. ( If I let my daughter sleep up in the back window, I'll go to jail for child endangerment), haha