Sign in to follow this  
adam_knox

Finding original owner...

Howdy gang! What's your thought on finding your car's first family? My uncle found his car's original owner a long time, and they were glad to see the old Dodge. I have a 1949 Chrysler from Cali (I'm in WI). It would be nice to see if a family member somewhere has a pic of the car from then. (I'm guessing the original owner has passed on by now). Is it worth the hassle to research to find out. Is it difficult to obtain the car's history? And lastly, if not most importantly, do you think the original family would want to be bothered?

Through the Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Michigan you can get the original delivery order and may cover the information about the first owner of the car. It's a part of the historical collection that they maintain and will cost about $45.00. It will show the exact equipment etc. that the car came with as new. And, yes....sometimes the original owner's family would like to see the car as it is today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam_knox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And lastly, if not most importantly, do you think the original family would want to be bothered?

</div></div>

Back in May of last year Bill and I purchased a 1974 Mercedes Benz 450SL. As luck would have it the embossed metal plate with the original owner's name and address was still in the glove box. It was a simple thing to get on the internet and find that she is still living in the same house.

I called and talked to her and got the story of where and why she bought this car. I was thrilled to talk to her and she was excited to know where the car was and that it will be cared for.

Hopefully in the spring we will get some good photos of the car and send them to her. I hope, like you do, that she has photos of it when she first got it. I would love to have one of her with it for it's "Baby Book" as we call the binders we have for each of the three antique cars we have.

post-36313-143138041224_thumb.jpg

A few years ago GE closed it's manufacturing plant in San Jose. Included with the milling machine I bought at the auction, was a box of six new boiler control valves. I was going to scrap them out for the brass, but decided to call the maker and ask if they would be interested in them first. It surprised me when I gave serial numbers off the units, the secretary told me GE bought those and a date. Manufacturing plants keep a lot of records.

Almost everyone has a picture of their car when it was new. That would be a nice addition to owning a collector car. I'd think most people would be pleased to find out where their old car ended up

Good luck

California had a fire that precludes getting information on motor vehicles from way back. I tried it once for a 1941 Buick. So, haven't tried it for my 39 convertible, but I do have history back to 1972 on this car. Also, these cars that are left have been circulating around the country and you don't know where they came from. Currently, however, I found a car in Illinois that was sold new in Hanover, PA and I knew the third owner who had it from 1958-1976 many years ago. He knows who the original owner was, a local doctor. He knows the last name of the second owner, too. Knowing the history of this car all the way until now makes it a more interesting car.

I had a 1971 Caddy Eldorado convertable a few years back. It also had the Original owners and dealer information in a pocket that is part of the glove box. I also searched the internet only to find that the Owner was deceased. Dandy Dave!

i was very lucky to have the complete list of owners for my 1950 DeSoto . which started out in Iowa and made it to New York .i am owner 5. looking for owners can be a real challange .states like NY point blank tell you they will not trace owners[against the the law there] try the white pages website when you have names.over at find a grave website there is the Social Security death list which tells if they have passed away[but not everybody is on that list].

i have the orginial owners drivers license .he was retired when he bought the Desoto. from 1950 -1955 ,25000 miles were put on it [i have the reciept for the tires put on it]i have all the oil change stickers still on the door .i figure he died about 56 because the mileage dropped to nothing .the wife had the car til 1983 [she died in 1986 at age 92]the next owner keep it til the 90s when he gave it to his daughter in NJ ;she moved to NY where i got it.it has 34000 miles on it.

This 37 Hudson Eight was owned by the father of my mother in law. I called her up a and she gave me the name of the first owner and the dealership that sold it. He father traded a 33 Hudson in for the car when it was two years old.

He wrote his name on the back of the owners manuel.

I found the 1938 city directory for Scotia, New York and found ads in the business section for the dealership and the buisiness of the first owner.

Sheldon

I not so long ago picked up a 41 Plymouth..in and about the car was reminders of the past..one was an old registeration slip..for grins I traced the name and address by internet and phone a reasonable choice for the owner..got the kinfolk, man had died..person was not happy I called...

its hard to say how people will take it when you get in touch with them.myself i would be very happy if some of our family cars were found .that 57 chevy 4 door or the 59 chevy wagon. i would make copies of family picture and tell them a story or two .but some people dont have good memories of growing up so it opens stuff they dont want to remember.

cars i wish i could find are the maxwell that my grandparents owned ,the model a my mom learned to drive in [while my uncle was running next to it telling her what to do]that 59 chevy wagon.but i know that those cars dont exist anymore except in family stories.

I would love it if someone now owning a car that I used to own, found me to ask about it. I have stories about each one.