Mission Impossible: Building a 1932 Stude Indy car

I’ve embarked on a “Mission Impossible” project to build a Studebaker Indy car like the 1932 versions, especially Bob Valpey’s #37 car.

Stude32_37_sm.jpg

I’ve already ordered the key component: a replica of the special chassis. Now, I need a bunch of other parts. I’m trying to stick closely to the original formula, except to use one of the 1934-style 250 cu in straight 8 racing engines instead of the 337 cu in engine. I’d also like a little later edition of the transmission.

I’ve spoken with a couple of the owners of the existing cars and they have been very helpful, as have a number of other SDC and ASC people, including some here. Any help or advice is appreciated! I have the 1935 magazine article with plans, though they are not exactly complete or 100% correct. I’m also modeling the car in 3D CAD to get the dimensions right and create a parts list.

indy_frame9.jpg

Here’s what I am currently looking for, hopefully near the East Coast (I’m in Massachusetts), but I’ll take what is available:

1935-37 President 8 engine, complete and rebuildable.

1932-33 President 8 front axle (58” track width)

1929 Commander EW or GB rear axle with 3.55-3.73 ratio

1938 B-W overdrive transmission with floor shift (sideways box)

1930's Ross steering box with shaft to left side

What have you got hidden away in the barn or garage? I’ll be at the York Swap Meet.

• 10 months later...
I’ve embarked on a “Mission Impossible” project to build a Studebaker Indy car like the 1932 versions, especially Bob Valpey’s #37 car.

Stude32_37_sm.jpg

I’ve already ordered the key component: a replica of the special chassis. Now, I need a bunch of other parts. I’m trying to stick closely to the original formula, except to use one of the 1934-style 250 cu in straight 8 racing engines instead of the 337 cu in engine. I’d also like a little later edition of the transmission.

I’ve spoken with a couple of the owners of the existing cars and they have been very helpful, as have a number of other SDC and ASC people, including some here. Any help or advice is appreciated! I have the 1935 magazine article with plans, though they are not exactly complete or 100% correct. I’m also modeling the car in 3D CAD to get the dimensions right and create a parts list.

indy_frame9.jpg

Here’s what I am currently looking for, hopefully near the East Coast (I’m in Massachusetts), but I’ll take what is available:

1935-37 President 8 engine, complete and rebuildable.

1932-33 President 8 front axle (58” track width)

1929 Commander EW or GB rear axle with 3.55-3.73 ratio

1938 B-W overdrive transmission with floor shift (sideways box)

1930's Ross steering box with shaft to left side

What have you got hidden away in the barn or garage? I’ll be at the York Swap Meet.

Dear Gary

how's your project with the Studebaker?

Please email me if you still need help...I probably can help you with the whole project or at least, with some.

fkunzendorf@hotmail.com

Regards,

Fred

Fred:

I sent an email to you. I'm making progress, but many parts are hard to find, especially a rear axle from a 1928 EW or GB with 3.07 or 3.31 ratio. Thanks for the offer of help.