OEM Key

charlie1

Guest CL_Reatta

Ebay has them around sometimes... otherwise try your Buick dealer.... Dont know if they are supposed to sell you them... but if you say you have a reatta then they might give you some slack (the parts guy at my local buick dealer gave me a discount on a new key, and a free bottle of touch up paint... after spending about 15 minutes looking at my car of course)

I still have both OEM keys from #828. The GM logo is more deeply engraved than the hardware store variety. There is also a notch in the plastic that lines up with the notch keyhole assembly. The PO must have used one of the keys everyday as it is quite worn out. Not a vats key in '88. As a side note I also have the plastic "emergency keys" too.

I purchase two keys identical to Vincent's photo from the Buick dealer, about two months ago. They're still available.

Called my friend at the Buick dealer, old part number shows discontinued. New number is 26025019-- $3.85. He also checked other dealers in the area, most had between 25 & 40 in stock. (Again, this is the ignition key with the black plastic GM logo). The door/trunk key is an all metal oval key with the GM logo stamped on it (also available).

Just be aware that each year uses a different key blank, make sure you get the right one. (Vendor should know and ask, parts jockey might not).

And now that I look, just a black cover is not enough. 88 is deeply embossed & on one side, 90 is on both & thinner, aftermarket (Curtis) has "GM" rotated and one side only. And that is just mine, how many others are there ?

Last time I looked 88s were the hard one to find, were 89s the same ?

post-31022-143138040658_thumb.jpg

Yes, the key padgett shows is the one I purchased. It will fit 88 & 89. Deeply embossed on one side. Also, there is a letter E stamped on the the key shank on the side with the GM logo.

The price I listed included them cutting the key also.

Just FYI, the door/trunk key has the letter D stamped on the key shank. (Both type keys work perfectly on my 89).

Guest AndrewReatta

The Ignition key from my '89 has the letter "C" on the emblem side. I've also been looking for these keys for awhile...would this "E" key also work on mine even if the letter is different?

I used to have the URL for the key blanks but they are usually sequential by year. This would make 88 ign - C, 88 trunk - D. According to the parts book, 88 and 89 used the same blanks for the ignition. 88-90 used the same blank for the trunk - "groove" D and the 91 trunk used "groove" H

90 and 91 use the ignition key with the pellet and there are 15 different resistor values.

Back in the day the general changed the "groove" code every year but apparently not in the late 80s.

CHAS1, I'm off Friday. I'll call my friend at Buick and varify the number I posted, and its availabiity. It's very possible he gave me the number of the ignition key without the thick plastic GM head. I didn't keep my receipt for the keys I purchased.

CHAS1, just got off the phone with my friend at Buick. He gave me a #26004351, and said this is the ignition key with the 'C' stamped on the shank. He also said it had the black plastic GM cover. I think I confused him with trying to describe the plastic GM cover. The keys are still available, but to make sure it's the one you're looking for, I'll stop in on Monday afternoon,on my way to work.

padgett, your key information is right on. After checking all my past receipts, I came across a receipt (July 07) to replace my IGNITION LOCK. What a DUMMY I am. Of course my ignition key would be an 'E' and not a 'C' (updated ignition lock set). At the time, the mechanic talked me into replacing the lock set since he had the steering column

apart to replace the ignition actuator rack. My apology for the confusion.

Charlie,

Stopped at Buick this afternoon, I checked the keys in question. This is what I found out. The numbers I listed are correct. E--ignition key 26025019 & C--ignition key 26004351. They both have the thin black plastic cover with GM on both sides. The ignition keys with the thick black plastic cover with GM embossed on one side only are discontinued. My replacement ignition lock came with two keys that have the thick black plastic cover with GM on the one side only. I believe that's the one you are looking for.

The ignition lock is still available through Buick, but I failed to get the part number from him.

Charlie,

The GM part description lists #26004351 as cover/key, which really means key with cover. Illinois Bell Telephone Company in the 70's & 80's used the same confusing language. If I needed to order a telephone set for a job, I had to order a set/telephone, or I wouldn't get anything at all.

Just reverse polish notation (original not HP), you start with the most significant qualifier and end with the least. That way all sensors are grouped together.

Programmers do something similar to set up a database to maximise sort speed. The General has been doing this since the early 60's (when you look at the option codes in binary you see that each selection is a one or a zero in a stream).