1950 Pontiac Hood Ornament

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I hope I am posting in the right place. I just bought my first classic car!!! and after a long painful search ended up with a 1950 2 door Chieftain. It is restored, and I am told based on original specifications (but I don't know enough to verify that). The car is now being shipped to Paraguay, tiny-tini small country in South America, so I guess I will be the sole member in the Paraguay Chapter of the POCI and other clubs! I want to know if there are different hood ornaments for that year. I notice a discrepany between mine which is all chromed and the ones I see on pictures for 1950 Pontiacs, in which the ornament has an orange-color indian head as a cap. I know you will ask for a pictures but I tried unsuccessfuly to add them to this post (I guess the forum has too many options and I am still navigating my way around it). Any comments from the experienced Pontiac guys for this novice car enthusiast? I am sure I will be posting a lot as I become more familiar with the forum. Thanks. Manuel

Guest 49 Streamliner

Welcome, Manuel. Both the chrome hood ornament like you have and the amber colored one were available. I believe the amber ornament was available as an option, or possibly only on the "Deluxe" models. It lights up when the headlights or parking lights are used.

Bill

Thanks Bill for your reply. Nice image you have with your name! My Chieftain is not a "Deluxe"; that probably explains why I have the chrome ornament only. Where or how can I confirm that the amber ornament was an option for the "Deluxe" model only? Manuel

Guest 49 Streamliner

Manuel,

The accessory price list for 1949 shows the lighted amber hood ornament as an option available on all models. I would guess that it is the same for 1950.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you join the Early Times Chapter of POCI. They put out a great monthly newsletter and have a number of members very knowledgeable about Pontiacs of this time period. Their website is http://www.earlytimeschapter.org You can get a membership form there.

Bill

Guest 49 Streamliner

Manuel,

I've cut and pasted instructions originally written by Bob Shafto for adding pictures to your messages here. We'd like to see your car if you can get the pictures up.

Here are the directions for posting a picture:

1. Create a new post or click "reply" below a post you wish to reply to.

2. Click "File Manager" below the post edit box

3. Click "Choose File" and choose a file from your computer (make sure its less than 1mb in size)

4. Click "Add File"

5. Add more than 1 file with the "Choose File" button if you like.

6. After your done adding photo(s), click "Done Adding Files".

Finish your post by simply clicking "Submit".

If you use the quick reply (at the bottom of an existing post) be sure to click the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" button.

Bill. Let's see if it worked. I think I successfully uploaded 5 pictures. By the way, I have not seen the car in person yet. It will take 6 weeks sailing through the Atlantic Ocean until it arrives in Paraguay. The inspection states is in full working order though, complete and restored. You can see on one of the pictures the hood ornament lacks the indian head which is what I asked at the beginning. I found a company in CA called California Pontiac Restorations (CPR) and they sell reproductions for $86.00. (It's funny for me as a doctor to see the name of a restoration company being CPR!!!) Yeah, indeed some cars do need CPR! but hopefully mine doesn't.

I noticed very little activity on this forum. I guess they are just too busy driving their Pontiacs around. Thanks again and hopefully the pictures make it on the forum.

Manuel

post-60252-143138042007_thumb.jpg

post-60252-143138042011_thumb.jpg

post-60252-143138042015_thumb.jpg

post-60252-143138042018_thumb.jpg

post-60252-143138042022_thumb.jpg

I just checked and the pictures were uploaded fine except one; something crazy happened with the last one. It shows a boat speeding like an airplane but that was supposed to be my car's engine picture! I have no idea how this picture appeared. I don't even have it on my computer. At least I am glad is not an indecent picture that gets me kicked out of the forum so soon after my registration.

Manuel

Guest 49 Streamliner

Manuel,

It looks like it's in very good condition. Six weeks probably seems like forever. Let us know when it arrives. Are there any special requirements for licensing a historic vehicle in Paraguay?

I am aware that this will be the only early 50s Pontiac in Paraguay. Licensing requires a certificate by the local antique car club (there is only one club in the country) verifying that the car is 80% or more original, which is issued after an inspection by a club representative. Authorities will issue registration plates once the certificate is presented to them. I will become an official member of the "Club de Autos Antiguos" when my car arrives. Yeah, 6 weeks is a long wait. Expect a lot of Pontiac questions from me beginning in late March !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Manuel

I was looking for technical specifications of a 1950 Pontiac and found your message in this forum.

I have a 190 Pontiac Streamliner Coupe, Rio Red, motor is a straight six. I have the Deluxe hood ornament, the one with the amber indian Chief head. It lights up when you turn lights on. I see in you pictures that you may have the Deluxe steering wheel, in any case is not the same as mine. I have seen the amber ornament is indeed an option.

In your pictures I noticed you have not the right headlamp bezels, seems more the bezel from a 1953-1954 Chevrolet, aftermarket ones. I also see your car lacks all the mouldings the car has. You may look this picture in this link:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/578820/Searchpage/2/Main/128205/Words/pontiac+1950+motor+specifications/Search/true/FS_1950_Pontiac_Silver_Streak_#Post578820

It also has the chromed ornament.

Manuel,

I was looking how to attach a picture and clicked submit without saying goodbye. I still don't know how to send you and other participants of this forum pictures of my cars: 1948 Chevrolet Coupe, 1950 Mercury Sport Sedan (4 doors), 1950 Pontiac Streamliner Coupe, 1953 Ford Sunliner, 1955 Mercury Monterey pillarless coupe. And also a 1939 Pontiac Convertible, which I have to restore. It has been for almost 35 years disassembled, so many parts are lost

My son has also a 1940 Packard sedan and a 1938 Ford Coupe Deluxe.

I hope I can find out how to send pictures.

Good luck with your Pontiac. By the way, $86 for the ornament you have referenced is a fair pice, I payed $250 for a used one, although in very good shape, 10+ years ago. The plastic part is very good, the chrome is good but could be rechromed.

German

German: Thanks for your comments. I copied and pasted the instructions I was given to post pictures. You are right about the lack of moldings on my car. It was restored by people willing to make money when selling it without careful attention to the original specifications. I will slowly restore the few things that are not correct. In the meantime I just want to enjoy my first old classic car.

Here are the directions for posting a picture given to me by Bill Brecht, POCI:

1. Create a new post or click "reply" below a post you wish to reply to.

2. Click "File Manager" below the post edit box

3. Click "Choose File" and choose a file from your computer (make sure its less than 1mb in size)

4. Click "Add File"

5. Add more than 1 file with the "Choose File" button if you like.

6. After your done adding photo(s), click "Done Adding Files".

Finish your post by simply clicking "Submit".

If you use the quick reply (at the bottom of an existing post) be sure to click the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" button.

Guest 49 Streamliner

Manuel,

You have either a 2-door Sedan (Style number 2511) or a Sedan Coupe (Style number 2527). You said in one of your earlier messages that it is not the Deluxe model. In that case, it wouldn't have had any side moldings in addition to what yours already has. It appears to be correct the way it is.

The original steering wheel, I believe, has been replaced with a Deluxe wheel from either a 1951 or 1952 model. If you look at this web page

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/displaycar.php?stock=122&location=CHA

you'll see a Deluxe steering wheel from 1950. Yours is very close to that, the only difference being a slightly different shape on the top two spokes. I would consider it a very minor and acceptable change considering that original steering wheels in as good condition as yours are hard to find.

Bill

Guest gecar

Manuel,

here are the mentioned pictures of my cars.

In Colombia we have an annual Antique Car Meeting, where there come enthusiastic people from all over the country. The last picture is in Santafe de Antioquia, a colonial town near Medellín, some 300 miles away from Bogotá, a trip of over 10 hours. Both the Pontia and the Packard (see the next reply) did very well climbing mountains up and down with lots of truck traffic! here I enclosed a pic of my Pontiac standing near a 1964 GTO at the same encounter, as we call this meeting (Encuentro Nacional de Autos Antiguos)

I wish you have a great time with your Pontiac!

Many regards to all of you out there,

German

post-60516-143138048129_thumb.jpg

post-60516-143138048134_thumb.jpg

post-60516-143138048138_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest kencary
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I hope I am posting in the right place. I just bought my first classic car!!! and after a long painful search ended up with a 1950 2 door Chieftain. It is restored' date=' and I am told based on original specifications (but I don't know enough to verify that). The car is now being shipped to Paraguay, tiny-tini small country in South America, so I guess I will be the sole member in the Paraguay Chapter of the POCI and other clubs! I want to know if there are different hood ornaments for that year. I notice a discrepany between mine which is all chromed and the ones I see on pictures for 1950 Pontiacs, in which the ornament has an orange-color indian head as a cap. I know you will ask for a pictures but I tried unsuccessfuly to add them to this post (I guess the forum has too many options and I am still navigating my way around it). Any comments from the experienced Pontiac guys for this novice car enthusiast? I am sure I will be posting a lot as I become more familiar with the forum. Thanks. Manuel[/quote']

Manuel,

I am in the process of purchasing a '51 4door, non-deluxe. like yours, I have many options, including the deluxe wheel but not the moldings or lighted hood ornament.

Here is a link to the options guide for the '51 which is very similar to the '50. This is from the early-times chapeter of POCI. 1951 Accessories

As for the hood ornaments: the following 2 pictures summarize each of the chome and lighted versions that differ year to year.

Personally, I am trying to find a lighte '51 for mine but I have had no luck to date other than an overpriced one on E-Bay that was missing the mounting studs.

Ken

post-64879-143138137343_thumb.jpg

post-64879-143138137344_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

In your photos of the inside i'm wondering about the steering wheel. I have that same one on my 50 catalina. Is it corect for the 1950 and is it some kind of deluxe wheel?Its different from others i see on 1950 and thought it was from a 51 or 52.

pete

Mauuel, Welcome to AACA and the Pontiac world. I believe I saw your car for sale in Hemmings a few months back. As noted before, your headlamp chrome rims are not 1950 Pontiac. The steering wheel is 1952 Pontiac deluxe. The interior shows carpet in the driver-passenger area. All 1950 Pontiac's have rubber floor coverings for the front driver-passenger area, only the deluxe and super deluxe have carpet and it is only in the rear passenger area. The only exception to this would be the Catalina series in deluxe and super deluxe as they are the only Pontiac's to have the carpeting front and rear. From the photo the car appears to be a two door Chieftain (standard) sedan, if it were a deluxe Chieftain it would have body side molding to go with chrome rear wheel house gravel guards. Gravel guards on a standard are black rubber.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)