Location, location, location

jim43

I must be missing something. I really don't understand why people don't post their location and the price of their car, part, or whatever when they are trying to sell it. Are they paranoid? Are they worried they really have a stolen car and the rightful owner might recognize it if they put a price and location in their ad? I don't see how. "Know all men by these VINs" Are they worried that by letting the world know they have it it may be stolen from them? Don't advertise it then or at least don't advertise your vacation plans. If one is serious about selling something, location and price have to come out sometime. Why waste peoples time keeping secrets that will at best stymie the sale of the item? And that remark under the heading of price "please inquire". I can never decide if that is intended to keep the commoners and the IRS out, or it is a ploy so they can tell me I can't afford it. Most folks when they can read a price actually are able to figure out whether it is within their budget, if given a chance. Just my opinion. jim43

jim43......You are SOOOOO right! I don't know about most folks out there, but if the price and location are not provided, I will not go any further to communicate with the seller. I ignore all those who are afraid to let out those to bits of information. Makes me nervous. Why would I waste time to "hunt down" the pertinent information just to find out that it is way too far away or out of my price range?? What a waste of time. That's just my opinion, too.

Hi keiser31;

I seldom, if ever linger on those ads either. Most are innocent enough I am pretty sure, but how often do we get scam messages on the email from someone eager to buy our item. If it is a forth right offer, then lets be forth right in advertising. They make me nervous too.

Did you get my recent private email about my being left at the Henry Ford Museum when I was five by my school? jim43

Guest Dean_H.

I agree with you guys 100%. Sometimes I try to annoy the no price advertisers with a one question email, "how much". I've heard salesmen say they don't put a price because they want the interested party to contact them. Once they have you on the phone, they attempt the high pressure treatment. Normally, I pass on any no price adds as well.

Guest Skyking

It must be the new world. Not only in ads, but you see this in stores as common practice. NO PRICE!!!!! You have to walk around aimlessly to find someone that does know the price. It sucks.

While we're discussing this, can someone please tell me why people cover their license plates in pics? If you take the car out the plates are there for everyone to see, and in NY, they even put the Vin Id right on the windshield registration sticker. This information hardly seems private and appropriately so. So why go to the effort to conceal the plate?

JohnD1956.....I can only imagine that those folks who cover up their license plates in photos are paranoid about someone researching their license plate number and finding out where the car is in order to steal it. Why else? It may be just another one of those unsolved mysteries. We will have to call Robert Stack to find the answer. Oops...too late. He's gone now.

If I was embarrassed about the high price I was asking for

whatever I was selling I might omit the price. But then I would have realized that callers would expect perfection and could only be disappointed when the discovered there are no perfect cars.

By the way the 8 digit license tag of RAWJA is one better

than Florida where we can have only 7 digits.

Mine is XXXV on my 1935 Buick and it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know their Roman Numerals!

I find it just as annoying when they don't have any pictures. I usually figure it's so bad they don't want you to see it. Really, does anyone pay $10,000, $20,000, $50,000 for a car sight unseen? Why bother even listing it? I assume they have to pay for an ad no one is going to respond to.

LINC400.....I think that maybe it's an attention getting ploy. They try to suck you in and get you to get them to email you the photos so that someone is paying attention to them longer. Personally, I always try to post a photo of whatever I sell. That way I will be certain to get the buyer's attention for the right reason....to sell the item.

Guest Hydroglen

I agree but I think it is generally an innocent omission. Much more serious and aggravating are websites that DO NOT show clearly were the business is located. There are many cases were I find that the Company is not in North America.

Nothing against other countries, but it does add shipping costs, duties and delivery times.

Dorien

As to pictures,there can be extenuating circumstances. Lack of knowledge of how to post pictures, deadline dates that require advance payment, no credit cards allowed( that happened with me yesterday), and some just may not want to spend the money. Circumstances vary, but we all like to see pictures, and they must help sell the item.

Look at the classified supplier ads in all of our car magazines and see how many have an email address and an 800 or 866 area code and no location. If they have a website, there may be a location listed there, probably not if it is strictly an "etrader", But others too fail to post their location. It irritates me too, and I try to reward those practices with my non-business. What are they trying to hide anyway? jim43