Spinning Starter

padgett

When I bought the white car, about 33% of the time, the starter would just spin and not crank. This is a pretty common occurance with Delco starters, the rollers stick in the clutch and fail to lock.

On a lark and since I knew where the bits were in the starter I sprayed a bunch of PB blaster into the drain hole at the bottom/front of the starter. Has worked just fine since.

Have not had to change or tear into one of these. Padgett, are these gear reduction starters? It is hard for me to imagine that corrosion was enough to keep the solenoid from activating the arms. More likely the issue was electrical and the PB acted to sufficiently clean the contacts. Might have achieved the same results with spray electrical contact cleaner. I got a small can from a large electrical discount house [Fry's] and use it on balky window switches. Good stuff.

Not gear reduction, same Delco starter GM has used for many years - has an overrunning clutch that uses sliding rollers to engage. Starter spun fine (which meant the solenoid was pulling in fully)just did not turn engine which is a classic sticking roller issue. Tried the PB Blaster since easy and has worked since. Is even a small rectangular drip hole in close to the right place (where the nosepiece attaches to the body).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has an overrunning clutch that uses sliding rollers to engage.</div></div>Commonly referred to as a starter Bendix. Maybe the Bendix company patented the design?

I believe there are at least two different size starters that fit. Mine has a small starter that appears to be a reduction starter. It may not be original.