CARFAX: Take a hike; new FREE Fed database coming online

Reatta Man

As part of the settlement of a Federal lawsuit, the U.S. Justice department should go online soon with a vehicle database designed to prevent "title washing" or moving the title of a salvage car from state to state in order to get a clean title.

Users should be able to type in a VIN and get a FREE report on the car.

New Federal Database Scheduled to Go Online 29 Jan New Federal Database

One source (Automotive News) says there will be a fee; the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says it will be free.

Lots of bugs to be worked out, but it looks like we will soon be able to tell Carfax to TAKE A HIKE....and take their $29.99 fee with them!

Guest cfBuick

Here is a better link... still not free though. From the article... <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DOJ claims that when the database launches tomorrow, approximately three-quarters of the nation's vehicle titles will be include, but unfortunately, the system won't be free. Online providers will act as the middlemen, but an announcement hasn't been made about which companies will handle the heavy lifting.</div></div>

Feds introduce used vehicle database for dealers, consumers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unclefogey

Had to try it for the heck of it. The response back indicating the initial title issued in Virginia in 1998 for my 1998 Ranger, confirmed what I thought when I bought it in 2004. It had not lived in an area subject to road salt. The wonders of auto auctions.

Its present title does not appear, because, evidently, Minnesota has not gotten with the program.