V.Milke

Elcar project. Parts needed.

Yes, of course I saw the car, and seem to have heard a sad ending to the story, in the sense that the plane was crashed afterwards... or something like that. Beautiful car!

I saw it in two tone blue, but it is now restored in silver and black. Send me a PM in case you want the pictures I took of it before restoration and a few I have of it after restoration.

Thanks Victor. I had not heard about the repainting to Silver & Black. I sent the museum a bunch of primary source material about the car a few years ago, including some pictures of my family(Dad, Aunt, Grandpa, Grandma) driving out to Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado and back in it.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Thank you for the pictures of Glenn's Elcar. It was nice to see it on display at the Gilmore Car Museum show. You're right about the plane; the new owner had it a whole day before he managed to crash it. It's debatable whether the Travel Air biplane or the Full Classic, Lycoming-Straight-Eight Elcar would be worth more if both were around today.

I see no recent posts so hope there are still Elcar enthusiasts looking here. I am George Byington Pratt’s granddaughter and will be visiting  Elkhart in May 2019. Is the Elcar Museum still open ? I cannot find information on it.

I'm pretty sure I have still one of those cowl lights like the '26 touring has and I always thought it was Elcar.  Not sure if I saw a car or a picture years ago but something identified it. Also not sure where it is now,maybe in the swapmeet stuff,but if it turns up,I'll sure give a holler.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, Linda Wilson said:

I see no recent posts so hope there are still Elcar enthusiasts looking here. I am George Byington Pratt’s granddaughter and will be visiting  Elkhart in May 2019. Is the Elcar Museum still open ? I cannot find information on it.

Hi Linda,

Much of the recent news about Elcars is on the CCCA, General forum here on AACA. "alsancle" started carving out spots there for "Elcar", "Dupont", "Classic Era Peerless", "Franklin", etc. within the AACA CCCA Forum. Just scroll down until you reach the right thread. It has 113 replies and 13,000 views.  Lots of photos of Elcars there, since no one  has started an Elcar Forum.

The Elcar Museum isn't in Elkhart. It is a small private museum in Bristol, IN, which IS in Elkhart County. Sorry, I have not been there. I'll send you contact information by PM.

These forums and their posts stay around forever, pretty much, so you can use the Search function; typing in "Elcar", and get a surprising amount of posts about Elcar.

Thank you so much for this information, I will look elsewhere on the Forum to see more recent Elcar news. When  my family had a reunion in Elkhart at least 20 if not 25 years ago, there was a wonderful museum there and was so much fun to see. 

The museum that you likely remember visiting was the S. Ray Miller museum. It was a wonderful collection of cars and assorted other interesting things. He had several automobiles including an Elcar and other cars that were manufactured in Elkhart. Mr Miller died in 2006 and the contents of the museum were sold at auction to settle his estate. 

Yes, it was the S. Ray Miller Museum. It was a very special visit for my mother who was born to George B. Pratt in 1916 when he was 58 years old! 

I have a attached a picture of the home she lived in for several years in Elkhart before they moved to Southern California.  Could you tell me if the car in the picture is an Elcar. 

Thank you for your help. 

image.jpg

The auto is from 1903-1905, way too early to be an Elcar(1916-1931).

I re-posted your photo on the "What Is It?" Forum. The guys there may be able to sort it out.

Hi Linda. You may be able to post significantly more detail. Look at the car in the photograph with a magnifying glass. If you can see more detail than what we see here, take a VERY close-up digital picture of the car only. You will want to fill the screen of whatever camera you are using, as much as possible while still maintaining very sharp focus. Intense illumination at a shallow angle to eliminate reflections, (or better yet 2 different shallow angles), along with camera stabilization/physical support may make identification more than just a guess. The guys on the "What Is It ?" Forum are absolute wizards who must have something like a photographic memory. Details which may be recoverable might include fender contour, door and entrance profile, or some specific identification cue to dead nail what this car is.

But again, this depends on whether you are able to see more details under magnification. Also, you may be a considerably more sophisticated photographer than I, and have a camera with a true optical zoom lens. Cell phones, nor iPads have such engineering.

Does your stately family home still stand in Elkhart ?       -     Carl 

Here is a  news story from the Elkhart truth . Pics Out of order but you get the drift. Three of my uncles worked at Elcar when the lived on Crawford street according to the city directory of the time. 2 minute walk to work.

Harold

car80001.thumb.jpg.ba26e97f73b3920a37d5bc9925edf8dc.jpg

car0001.jpg

car90001.jpg

Edited by one-shot (see edit history)

Thank you sooo much , all of you “Wonderful  Elcar/Auto Posters” for helping this Newbie. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions regarding Elcars and my Grandfather, George B. Pratt.

My mother’s nephew, also named George B Pratt III, is still alive, had a vacation home at a gorgeous lake by Elkhart, and he is the one who arranged this Pratt Reunion many years ago to take us to the Elcar Museum, to see where the George B Pratt Family Home used to be and the Elcar manufacturing building (although after  reading that the plant moved, I can’t tell you yet why we saw). I will contact him to see if he has any memories that you might like if you are an early Elcar Enthusiast.

On the back of the photo of George B Pratt’s home is the name EPD Haven written in cursive. Maybe the photographer, any of you live in Elkhart and know this name, maybe from the early 1900’s. See the pic I sent before which is mounted on old cardboard and 8x10.  Hoping to identify the car in the pic so will send a close up.

Wish the Gorgeous Home was still in Elkhart but was demolished to build a tract housing development. Only memory I have when visiting maybe 20 years ago is of it being right by the river, just “above” it...

CAF2EE44-21B5-4FF6-8D77-88AC50EEAB09.jpeg

Thanks, Harold, for the news article on the Elcar connection talk at the Elkhart County Historical Museum.

Here is My Innocent View of Elkhart: Grandfather involved in creating the Pratt/Elcar, Mom born there, RVs built there BUT never realized how close it is to Norte Dame! Is that why I couldn’t find a hotel for the third week of May? Graduation?

Sent this pic before but this website won’t allow me to post a closeup of the car. Don’t know when the pic was taken. My mother, born in 2016, only remembered playing up in the third floor ballroom before they sold this home and moved to California.

If anyone wants to enlarge it, that would be great. What a beautiful car. What is it? Seems like George Pratt should be featuring a pic of his Pratt/Elcar in front of his home!

1A0261B7-0DD7-49C9-987A-A044B8957E97.jpeg

Edited by Linda Wilson (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Linda Wilson said:

Sent this pic before but this website won’t allow me to post a closeup of the car.

If you have a close-up of the car that for some reason won't post, please email the image file to me at greg@slotblog.net.

If you know anyone with a high-resolution scanner, see if they will scan just the image of the car for you to generate an image file, and send me that file.

I'll almost certainly be able to post it here for you.