V.Milke

Elcar project. Parts needed.

Hi:

I recently got a 1926 Elcar 8-81 project... and a very difficult one, by the way. Chassis is sound and very complete, and that is why I want to save it, but body is almost non-existant, and getting a correct one seems an impossible solution, so I am thinking of going for a woody body, made as close as possible to a period correct woody.

I am in the process of locating information (I already got 'Elcar and Pratt Automobiles: The Complete History: William S. Locke', which is a truly fabulous book!) and also buying books and getting information for period correct woodies.

The most difficult part has been finding any parts for the car. Can anybody point me to any source? I am missing radiator cap, emblem, tailight, headlight lenses and trim rings, sidelights, dashboard pieces, etc.

Does anybody know of somebody with a Elcar 8 cilinder car from the era that I could get in touch with?

Thanks for any help,

Victor Millke

Victor

Make your plans and reservations now for Hershey Pennsylvania for the show in October. It's one of the best places to find parts for cars. Bring good walking shows and some $. If your going to find parts it's going to be there for sure.

Mike:

Yes! I been at Hershey a few times. This past year, a few days after I had gotten the car, I saw a full radiator with emblem. I only needed the emblem but the owner was selling the full thing at a rather steep price, so I passed. I need the emblem, so perhaps I made a big mistake in letting it go.

Thanks,

victor

Watch e-bay for both the emblem and hood ornament. I've seen both there as well as an Elcar Moto-Meter in the past, but the word STEEP does not do the ending prices justice in any of these cases...

Yes! I have been running an ebay search for a couple of months without a single item yet! I guess this will not be an easy project for me, but I am enthusiastic about it.

thanks,

victor

You might try contacting the Hubbard Hill Museum in Elkhart, Indiana, the place where the Elcar was produced. They had one on display several years ago.

Never mind the previous response....the HHM was closed down and the old cars autioned off. I didn't know this until checking.

Several years have go by... and sadly, I have only found a handful of parts for my project, including the full radiator I had mentioned seeing in Hershey, that I finally was able to purchase.

Car is a 1926 Elcar. Any information on:

Headlights

Taillights

Hubcaps

Door handles, interior and exterior

... and so many others...

Any leads, greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Victor

Check with Sam Winer junk yard on Prospect Street Elkhart. Going in those building is a walk back in time. I think they had a truck made by the same company. The son (65 +/-) took down a old shed wall in the 60s and rolled it across folks yard to Crawford street, made the local newspaper. If I remember the story right the shutter car plant had a fire of unknown origins. The Hubbard Hill stuff was Mr. Fieldhouses life time collection. He had old cars stuffed everywhere around town. He donated paint (Fieldhouse Blue) to paint everything that didn’t move.

Victor

Have you ever talked with Bill Locke? He's pretty much the historian of the Elcars, and may know where the best places are for parts hunting.

Send me a PM if you need his contact information.

West: Yes, indeed I have. I visited Bill about 3 years ago. In fact, you gave me his contact information. He is an incredibly fine gentleman, incredibly knowledgeable about Elcars. He sold all of his cars and parts, and I already visited the man who has all of them, another great guy, and he has them in Elkhart.

One-shot: Thanks! Sounds like quite a place! I will try to contact them and see if they have anything Elcar, though I would be quite suprised if they did.

Victor

I talked to the night watchman (from the Elcars) as a kid. he still had his black round mechanical device that had to be wound at every watch station to prove you were making your rounds. He claimed the fire was not accidental and kept the device to prove he made his rounds. Most of the kids that sold newspapers and metal for scrape knew the truck and several old cars were back there.

I checked with my sister in Elkhart and the Ruthmere Mansion on Beardsley street has a restored Elcar, check the website for tour days. They also have a few other old cars. I don’t know if they came from Hubbard Hill or one of the other collections in town. I’ve been gone too long.

Spoke to my Sister this last weekend and she said the vehicle they took out of a building at the Sam Winer Junk yard was an Elcar converted to a truck. Check the online Elkhart Truth sometime in the early 60s and the story is there. The junk yard is only three or four blocks from where they were built.

One-shot: Thanks! Interesting story.

I looked on the net for the Ruthmere Mansion on Beardsley street hoping to find any pic of the restored Elcar. The mansion looks like quite a place to visit. I am sorry I didn't even know that it existed when I went to the Pedal car museum in Elkhart, where they have many Elcars. Next time I am in the area I will be sure to stop by.

Thanks again,

Victor

Beautiful ornament! Thanks for the pics!

I understand it is very rare. I had only seen it in one original pic. Most cars with ornaments had a winged ornament with a motometer in the middle.

post-31812-143139245569_thumb.jpg

Trying my luck again... I still need for my 1926 Elcar:

Taillight

Headlights

Hubcaps

Door handles...

Anybody? Thanks!

victor

Apropos nothing, Ralph Van Dine had two 1925 Elcars, one serial number apart. They were garaged in his property in Brookline, Mass. until he moved to Silver Spring, MD. He drove the first one down with no problem. The second one he drove down and the fan sheared off into the radiator. Disgusted, he sold it on the road in New Jersey to a wrecker for $50.00 and took the bus home.

Interesting story!

The pic I am attaching, which is one of my favorite pics, will show you the two cars that were down here, together, in a picture taken in the early 80's... and coincidentally, also one serial number appart.

The Touring car, serial 38772, was parted out and unfortunately I only received a very few parts from it when I got my Seven seater, serial 38773. The picture was given to me by Bill Locke. He had both cars listed in his registry and book...

post-31812-143143060777_thumb.jpg

Well, A.J., as far as I understand, not very large... a 4HM Lycoming 8 cylinder, 260c.i., with an interesting Swan manifold and carburator made to supposedly save on gas, which could be adjusted from the dashboard. I checked the size here:

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elcar_Seven_Passenger_Sedan-8-80

and it gives some more information:

• Eight cylinder, vertical, cast en block, 3-1/8 x 4-1/4 inches (260.78 c.i.d.; 4.273 liters); valves in side; H.P. 31.25 N.A.C.C. rating

My grandfather's '26 Elcar, now in the Elcar Museum, had a radio when it was new. Does your Elcar have one, too?

----Jeff

Jeff: I don't believe my car ever had a radio.

Which of the cars at the Elcar museum was your father's? I've been there. Great place with a very nice and helpful owner.

Have you ever noticed a dark Blue & Turquoise 8-81 Landau Roadster? From Kansas, my grandfather traded a Travel Air biplane for it.