diagnosing sunroof

handmedownreatta

Based on your analysis, it appears you have something stuck.

The motor tries to run but nothing happens.

The motor pulls (or pushes) the cables. The cables are attached to the side mechanism. The mechanism opens and closes the sunroof.

I know that is not real technical but that's the best I can do from a thousand miles away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handmedownreatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cool.i removed the headliner today[surprisingly easy recause of ronnies site].i plan to remove the sunroof assembly from the car tomorrow and look at it </div></div>

Can you link me to Ronnie's site?

Guest steveskyhawk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handmedownreatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the motor? at the back will go about a half turn either way,then stops.the panel doesn't move. </div></div>

It moves "a little" when turned electrically or with an allen wrench? When it moves a little does it move symmetrically? Does the motor continue to run when the roof stops?

I have disected these roofs so I understand them.

A few years ago I had to replace the cables and attempted to adjust the clutch but was unsuccessful. Mine has always needed "help" to first open but has been fine otherwise. Have just put up with it since it is generally used as a roof vent I leave open (car is garaged).

I do lube the cables periodically but lately have felt a shudder when it slides back. Any ideas about either of these ?

Guest steveskyhawk

I have removed more than ten of these units and the parts are for sale on ebay. I don't believe it is possible to thoroughly lube these mechanisms without removing the outer panel. It comes right off with the removal of (6) 10mm nuts but to get to those you have to remove the small headliner. If you dont have replacement fastners you wont be able to reattach the headliner. (I'm going to find new replacements) That being said I believe a drop of oil in the right place will make this roof work much better. If there is any drag on the lifting mechanism (in the back) then they will do what you discribe. When the unit is out on the bench operating electrically without the outer panel the problematic areas become obvious. The first thing I would do is remove the outer lid and clean and relubricate anything that moves. Next I think you are right about the clutch mechanism. I have looked at that and I dont believe you can adjust it. Actually it isn't supposed to declutch. It is a gear reduction worm drive system. Actually when it "declutches" it is probably doing harm to the nylon gear. The "shuddering" you discribe is a sympton of contamination and lack of lubricant in the tracks. If not corrected this roof will stop working all together. Don't let this happen. When it quits working it is more difficult to get opened up for service. The sad truth is that if neglected these sunroofs become inoperative and impossible to maintain/repair. The EASIEST and CHEAPEST way to fix a factory sunroof is to replace it with a working unit from an RX7. I have them for sale on ebay like I mentioned earlier. I dont believe in soliciting business on this forum but if I can get rust/corrosion free sunroof parts from southern California cars to the people that need them it is a win-win.

the motor will turn about a 1/2 revolution and stop.the roof doesn't move.i tryed an allen whench on it and i think i stripped something.i pulled the assembly out of the car today but it got dark before i could look at it.i noticed the the drivers side rear of the sliding panel isn't attached to anything.also my gasket looks rough.are there new ones?

Guest steveskyhawk

The original sunroof assembly installed in a Reatta is a quality component. It was installed in other makes and models as well. Unfortunatly the sunroof is totally exposed to the elements and is a catch all for dirt and moisture by design. In a previous post I discribed what I thought would be a good service interval/procedure based on what I have observed. To my knowlege the FSM and owners manual have no maintenance recommendations whatsoever for your sunroof. Imagine what you would have if the engine and transmission of your car was "exercised" as seldom as the sunroof and there was no maintenance done for 20 years! The sunroofs are holding up well in my opinion. There have been posts where others have indicated the availibility and price of new sunroof parts. New parts are very expensive and dont solve the corrosion problems. The cheapest and easiest way to restore the function of a non working sunroof is to replace it with one that is corosion free and works. I have any sunroof part you may need listed on ebay.