Chickasha Swap Meet - Any Advice?

RansomEli

I am planning to attend my first Chickasha, OK swap meet this March and need some advice:

1. What is the best day to attend? The meet lasts from Thursday to Saturday, but I have been told vendors leave Saturday morning.

2. How are the hotels in the area? Do they jack up rates? Am I better off staying in Norman or Lawton?

3. I've heard this is the place to find lots of brass stuff. What are the prices like?

4. Any other advice for a first-timer?

1. Best days to attend are Thursday and Friday. I usually go on Friday and it seems that all the vendors are set up. But Thursday is probably when most of the swapping happens within the first four hours after setup.

3. There is a lot of brass era and pre-war parts. The prices are usually higher than other swap meets because the part owners know what they have. But these experts could be helpful in finding a rare part that is not on the table.

Good luck and have a good time.

I have attended the Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet every year it's been held. To answer your questions:

1. Like most swap meets, it's best to arrive early. Vendors can set-up on Wednesday evening, and, contrary to the official "rules", much buying and selling occurs then. The meet officially opens Thursday morning and it's a feeding frenzy until about noon. After that it really slows down.

2. If you don't already have a room reserved, you probably won't get one in Chickasha. Try Anadarko or anywhere else you like. The SW Chapter of the WOKR (Willys Overland Knight Registry) reserves (and fills) 50 rooms at the Days Inn. Prices are in the $65-$70 range.

3. There is lots of brass, lots of Model T & A parts, and lots of interesting things to look at. Prices are generally lower than Hershey, but nobody is giving away brass these days.

4. The meet is largely indoors, but interesting things turn up outside as well. (Last year an unrestored, pre-teens, 3-cylinder, air-cooled Chase truck appeared.) The weather can be anywhere from the 30's wet and windy to the 80's and beautiful. To quote the BSA, Be Prepared.

An unrelated "feature" of this meet is the opportunity to visit a couple of marvelous private car collections in OK City (approximately 40 miles from Chickasha). The owners are kind enough to open their garages in the evenings. Ask around when you get to the meet.

All the advice is correct. I usually stay in Oklahoma City by the air port. There are a lot of nice motels there and it is about 30 minutes from Chickasaw on the toll road. I never seem to find much there, mostly Ford stuff. Wed. evening and Thur. morning are best. A lot of venders start packing up Friday afternoon.

I went for the first time last year and loved it. I got there midday friday, stayed in Norman, came back saturday. Sounds like I missed the thursday action but all the vendors I saw on friday were still there saturday. I had just gotten my Pierce so I spent a lot of time just talking to people and soaking up information, although I did find a number of items I needed. I also buy and sell hubcaps and automobilia and found many reasonably priced items. There was also quite a few cars for sale ranging from rust piles to really nice, great to look at if you aren't buying. I plan to go back this year on thursday / friday.

If you can get to a certain private collection in Oklahoma City near the Cowboy Museum do not hesitate for a second! It is a brass car lover's heaven.

I see no one tells you to visit your cardiologist before you make the trip as you can find french fries sitting in oil and other culinary instant heart attacks! At least that is where my friends took me to! grin.gif

Hey Don, did I ever tell you about the Pierce Arrow mascot I found in an antique shop on the square in McKinney Tx? I was out there for the Paris Natl Meet a few years ago and while doing some hunting in the antique shops there, happened on a pretty good used furniture store. After breezing through and not finding much, I was near the front door waiting for a friend to catch up and looked down at a small table. On it was a small desk lamp that was made out of a Pierce mascot! Only thing missing was the bow and arrow, which I carefully crafted later. Nice find for $15.

Never been to Chickasha but it's on my bucket list for sure. Steve, where are those fries? You're making me hungry!

Terry