Redyeing Leather

speed

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chuck Conrad

About 15 years ago, I re-dyed the leather in a Bentley, using products from somebody called The Clausen Company. I still have some of the material. The address on the can is 1055 King George Road, Fords, NJ 08863. I have no idea if they are still in business or not.

It was a water based dye. They also sold a very good "rejuvenator oil" and a crack filler. The dye was water based, and sprayed easily. You could even brush it on, and it dried with an interesting and attractive "grain." As I recall, it took me about two weekends to do it. Removing and reinstalling the interior was the big part, and the "prep" was also time consuming, but probably the most important part.

I still have the car, and the leather still looks pretty good. It was time well spent.

Guest imported_Julian

interesting topic..do you think that dyeing a pair of medium blue leather seats (out of a 95 Olds Aurora) can successfully be dyed another color?? also..does the dye wear well??..

Guest Chuck Conrad

If the surface is properly prepared, you can change color. I've re-dyed a black seat and made it light gray. It still looked OK when I sold he vehicle several years later.

I believe that the preparation is the most important part of the whole process. Interestingly, you can treat leather more or less like you treat wood. You can use a paint remover on it, sand it and fill it. Applying the dye to a very clean surface is most important. A little dirt or residue will mess up the whole process.

Different types of dye behave differently. I've been very happy with water-based versions, but many dyes are not much more than automotive paint with an additive to make it flexible. They also can work quite well if you prepare the surface properly.

Guest Chuck Conrad

I've used some water-based versions from the Claussen Company. More recently, I've used some petroleum based versions form English Color, who has stores around Texas, and maybe elsewhere. I've also used some aerosol versions from SEM, which worked OK as well. Just like paint, the preparation is the big part.