1964 Wildcat. See something different?

Guest BJM

Brian,

Yes - that was it - the right side AC Vent. I looked at the photo of the engine compartment for this Wildcat for sale, and there is no A/C compressor. I have never seen a 63-64 Wildcat/Riviera/Electra/LeSabre with a stock appearing dash A/C vent(s) without it being an A/C car.

Note the fresh air intake in the passenger kick panel. The dash mounted a/c vent IMPLIES a/c ducting. Why have a dash mounted vent if it was unducted? Was this a factory "mess up"?

I might have an answer for that one. Those dashes are in 3 sections: the gauge cluster, the radio and faceplate, and the glovebox and door. The left side of the glovebox door plastic section was notoriously weak at the upper hinge area (they opened up rather than down, like a garage door), and a 63-64 full size Buick is hard to find without the hinge mount being cracked or repaired. Most likely, the glovebox door broke off on the original, and they found a good one from a salvage and put it in. Relatively easy to install without having to disassemble the entire dash. The radio bezel also has the a/c vent, too, but the heater control panel above does not have the knob that the a/c cars have. Being a vehicle from DVAP, they may just have put the right dash piece and radio/bezel in it to make it complete to sell as a whole car, too.

Just a guess, but there would be no reason to have a vent there in a non-a/c car.

One other thing I noticed is it has an a/c alternator bracket (the two little raised tabs on the top are for the compressor), but the car is definately a non-a/c car, the firewall does not have an evap case or any of the plumbing. What is also strange is the PVC valve is on the driver's side valve cover, and the fuel filter fuel line runs through a cast hole in the water crossover/thermostat housing pipe. Also, that is not a correct carb for a 64 Wildcat. Definately does not look like the original 64 motor to me.

Matt

My guess is that the door is open in that photo and the interior door trim, detached from the door, is all we can see.

The other photos on their website show the door there with the vent.

Looks like a good project for someone, appears reasonably straight

OK Matt: You are the MAN on 64 full sized!

One major problem with the 64 Wildcat and Electra. They are being knocked out of the box faster than a speeding bullet. Why? I'm guessing that people are harvesting those 401s. and throwing away the carcasses.

This is a similar case with the 60 Buick Invicta Custom Coupe. The bucket seats are going into other GM cars. At least the 60 buicks are not parted because there is still quite a demand for the body style,where the 64 Wildcat W/O the motor is almost a dead horse. Mitch

Mitch, man you are right on the money. Honestly (and I might be a little biased here) that is the ONLY problem with these cars. The nailheads in the 64s are in demand for the hot rod crowd (can't say I don't blame them, cool motors, but...) and good driving cars are being knocked in the head. The 64-up nailheads I feel are more popular also because they have the awesome ST400 and not the Dynaflow. There was a particular LOADED Granada Red numbers-matching 64 Wildcat 425 2x4 automatic coupe for sale here and on eBay about a month or so ago. I talked with the owner at length about it and hopefully convinced him to keep the car, because most of the people contacting him about it wanted just the running gear. It was super cool, had almost every option offered in 64, and was a running/driving car. As far as I know, he still has it.

Now, the ICC, they are the low man on the totem pole compared to the Cadillac, Pontiacs, and so on. The seats are bringing such silly dollars that, yes, they are being parted to put the seats in a Bonneville or Barritz, even though the ICC is 10X as hard to find. Sad. I am like you, though, and am happy in the fact that the 60 Buick is not as popular as the rest, it keeps the prices reasonable.

Matt

This scenario reminds me of my Dad's '80 Chevy Monte Carlo, bought new. Dad didn't have a car with A/C until 1984. I always hated how on the '78-80 Malibu and Monte Carlo, when you didn't get A/C they stuck a plastic block filler in where the right-most A/C vent on the dash was, way up high where you couldn't help but be bombarded with its ugliness. But our '80, with no A/C, had an A/C vent right there...a factory goof! My Dad didn't believe me at first, until after he ran the vent and fan and saw that nothing came out of that vent! It sure looked better, being a chromed plastic vent, that what should have been a green hard-plastic block in there!

Bill