1948lincolnstartersolenoid

Guest dag

having trouble with my starter solemoid switch on a 1948 lincoln I have a dash mounted starter button which only has a one wire conector.It appears to me when this button is pushed it grounds ou to the dash as the button is mounted there. Therfore the other end of this wire goes to the small terminal on the starter solenoid and grounds it out which trips the solenoid.This is backwards from every other solenoid I have ever worked on.Normally the small terminal needs a hot to engage the solenoid, not a ground.Does this car need a special solenoid? where can I get one ? Or am I missing something ? (a brain ) Can someone help ?

All old Fords/Lincolns use this system for the solenoid. The solenoid is "grounded" in order to activate. The "activating" coil inside the solenoid is connected to the battery terminal stud internally. The other end of the coil is the terminal that is grounded by the starter button.

Guest rickomo1

a good cleaning of the connections and burnishing of the contacts will normally help. Remember with 6 volt systems ground is very important. remotly you can fire the car by grounding between the pos on the battery and the terminal on the solenoid that the starter button is connected to.