Judging 1965 Mustang K code Convertible

My 1965 Mustang K code Convertible is nearing completion of a complete rotiseree restoration and will be at Charlotte for its first judging.

My restorer tells me that the AACA judging is more strict that the MCA is, so this will give us a better idea of how good the restoration really is, is this true?

Usally you'll find that it is the other way around. AACA judges need to judge the possibilites of something like 2,800 different manufactuerers and all the different years, and models they produce. The is no judge out there that know everything about every vehicle made.

Now with the mustang you'll probably have some members of the judging team that are very fimialiar with them. If your car is good enough for a special mark club's judging where they can nitpick a car to death, you shouldn't have any problems in AACA.

I don't know much about Mustangs so I asked a friend who is both an AACA Judge and a MCA Judge. His explanation was what I expected. He said that AACA and Mustang Club of America are neither one particularly more strict. They are just both different. Like David said, it does certainly matter exactly who in either club happens to be judging your car.

My friend's advice is "Restore it according to MCA Standards and you should have no problems with AACA Judging."

A quick word of advice, make sure you bring any documentation with you that you have incase the Team Captain has any questions about your car.

Good luck in Charlotte. Bill and I will be there. We'll try to stop by and see your car.

I own a 1966 Mustang Coupe that I've shown in both AACA and MCA since 1999. It is a Sr Grand National winner in AACA and multiple (7 time) concourse (driven) gold winner in MCA.

Each club is different in judging. In MCA, the judging process takes about one hour on average. The judges will actually get underneath your car to judge the undercarriage. They will check bolts and markings on belts and hoses. I've had them find overspray on an A/C bracket underneath the dash. By the judges own admission, you had to be on your back and look up to see it. The judging sheet is approximately 15 pages long.

In AACA, the judging process takes about 10 minutes per car. The judges do inspect the undercarriage, but do not look at bolt markings on exhaust systems etc. In a class of Mustangs, the judgeing Captain will probably be an MCA Gold Card judge, due to the popularity of the model, so don't think AACA judging is easier. It's just a different style than MCA.

I believe the AACA judging system gives a very fair appraisal of each car. The MCA juding system is very detailed and time consuming. Thankfully, there are usually only 15 - 20 concourse cars at most national shows....otherwise they would never get through the judging.

Be aware of the large deduction in AACA for incorrect tires. Radials are not allowed and will result in a loss of 15 points (3 points x 5 tires). This is probably the biggest area of lost points that I see in the Mustang class.

Due to the complexity of MCA judging, I agree with the above comment, that is, restore it to MCA standards, and you will do very well in AACA. In both clubs remember that minor details can make or break you as far as awards go.

Hope this helps and good luck with your K-code.

Your car will do very well at an AACA meet. I have never seen a K Code covertible and look forward to seeing it at an AACA national meet. Hope you bring it to Gettysburg or Hershey. I have several friends with K Code coupes and fastbacks and that makes it special to me.

Jim

AACA Mustang Judge

1970 BOSS 302

1978 Mustang II

You're best resource of obtaining information and getting answers with your questions would be to Contact Randy Stone. If you're not a member, it would pay you to join and get into a Judging School. Randy Stone teaches the Mustang CJE, and he puts on a good program. If you live near Charlotte, I believe Randy lives in Greensboro.