Robe Motor Corporation, Nansemond, Va 1924

C4GY

I have a 18 page prospectus for the Robe Motor Corporation, Nansemond, Va dated 1924. Any info on the company and it's Robe Light Six? It has a most unusual motor design claiming 30-40 mpg plus it has two pistons on a single connecting rod. The upholstery is "Textileather, art leather finish, gray". I can scan copies if interested.

Thanks for any info, Dan

The four cylinder should have been the odd one show in the prospectus. There is also two illustrations of the cars, a 5 passenger touring @ $895 and a five passenger convertible sedan @ $1145. It also says Robe made his own special metal call "Robe metal"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Roper Steam Car is listed in my book, but no date of manufacture or photo. </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Automobile Quarterly</span>'s book <span style="font-style: italic">The American Car Since 1775</span> lists over 5000 marques registered to manufacture cars & trucks in the U.S. and Canada, including all then (c. 1971) known who never made anything after incorporation.

Roper was a maufacturer of steam vehicles in Roxbury, Massachusetts. It made 10 vehicles total between the 1860s and the 1890s.

There are 2 listings for "Robe". One is a cyclecar manufacturer in Portsmouth, Ohio in 1913-1914. The other is listed as Robe (probably Robe Motor Corp.) in Norfolk, VA. It was organized by a W.B. Robe and a J.D. Strong, apparently both of Nansemond, VA. It lasted only one year, 1923. No production figures are given, but apparently it did progress to the manufacturing stage and produce at least one car.

I also posted to your question under the memorabilia category. Somewhere among my "stuff" I've got a photo of the Robe made in Norfolk Va. It was to the best of my knowledge the only car ever made in (or near) Norfolk. It is true they made at least one prototype and that's the one I've got a picture of. When we get near complete with our house remodeling project and I can unpack my office contents again, I'll scan and post the photo. I'd enjoy seeing (or having) a copy of the prospectus since it has local history and would add to my folder of Robe info. I think the company sold more stock than cars. Not certain they ever really made a car for sale before going broke. More info later,

Terry

• 2 months later...