'90 Speedometer Went Kerflooey

ol' yeller

I think that's the technical term for it. It worked fine on the 2 mile trip to work today but on the return, it began reading way faster than the car was going. Like it said I was going 60 MPH when I was going 35. I verified my speed on one of those portable "Your Speed Is" radar locations. Everything else works fine in my gauge cluster. Is there a speed sensor somewhere? I'm going to disconnect the battery and see if it resets on my return trip this afternoon. Anyone have any ideas of what to look for? I have made no changes in the tires or brakes lately. The only thing I have worked on is the sunroof and headliner. I did have to remove and reinstall an electronic box that was located inside the lower "B" pillar to fix one of my drains. It was located on the driver's side just behind the driver's door. I didn't even unplug it, I just removed it from its mounting to pull the drain line out. I reinstalled it in its original location. I think it was the brain for the door locks and alarm but that is only a guess. That was last Saturday and my troubles began this morning. Could there be a connection? Thanks!

Upon edit (I hate getting old!) I remembered also changing out the lightswitch on Saturday. I never removed the dash cluster and all I did was pop loose the bezel surround, unscrew the switch, disconnect the wires and reinstall the new switch. I'm just spitballing here hoping to shed light on the subject.

Greg

Greg…

I do not think anything that you did will have any relation to your speedo problem.

The sender can be bad. Remove it and check the gear and wiring plug. KennyV.

PS.I have a 91 it is a different trans, but I think your speed sender will be the same.

post-43115-14313803729_thumb.jpg

After disconnecting the battery, letting it sit, and then reconnecting it, my speedo now works as it should. I didn't even think about the MPH/KPH switch. Maybe I did bump it unintentionally. When power was removed maybe the default was back to MPH. The difference does roughly calculate MPH to KPH. Thanks.

Greg