----Fuel (Gas) Cap on 1964 -----

alex bonino

Hmm. Thats interesting. My 1964 (which also has A/C) does have the fuel return (which you mention) routed to the front, ending up at the inline fuel filter.

I believe the fuel tank vent line nipple is located just to the left of the main filler neck. The hose from this nipple curves up and around the filler neck, and is attached by a couple of clips. Would they have used both a vented cap and the vent hose?

alex

You got me curious so I took a better look at my car. I was wrong, my cap is not vented and I saw the tube you describe. I assumed it was a vented cap because I was thinking of the modern style sealed cap, but there is no vent hole visible. I'm guessing this setup was to avoid gas leaks due to the filler pipe being so horizontally oriented. Lots of evidence of leakage out the vent tube on mine so it probably was not too effective. You do need a non-vented cap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexRiv_63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got me curious so I took a better look at my car. I was wrong, my cap is not vented and I saw the tube you describe. I assumed it was a vented cap because I was thinking of the modern style sealed cap, but there is no vent hole visible. I'm guessing this setup was to avoid gas leaks due to the filler pipe being so horizontally oriented. Lots of evidence of leakage out the vent tube on mine so it probably was not too effective. You do need a non-vented cap. </div></div>

Yes, non-vented cap on 1st generation Riviera. You need Stant gas cap 10646. When the rubber gasket under the cap goes bad with age, fuel will splash out of the filler neck. Not good; replace it when it does that.

The loop in the vent hose has to go pretty high. Even then, you will lose a bit of fuel out that hose when you accelerate hard. :-) Back when your gas was 35 cents a gallon, you did not mind too much.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I suspected I would need the non vented, but just wanted to double check.

Also, FYI, based on the Buick parts manual, the GM part number for the cap is 583604

They show up on ebay fairly routinely, so I'll start watching.

thanks again, Don & Jim.

alex

roa #11550