About the database for those reatta's....

Guest CL_Reatta

Guest CL_Reatta

Since it is unsure about how many Reatta's are still on the road, wouldn't it make sense to maybe construct a team (or one very dedicated person) to obtain the list of VIN#s... get the inlimited carfax, and search for every VIN number to check the status of the car?

Guest CL_Reatta

LOL.... in all reality, I wouldnt mind doing it as a little project here in there... I didnt mean for someone to like sit down and start doing it until done... my god that would take forever lol... just ment as you know, 50 cars this day, 10 cars that day etc. etc.

I started compiling the database that is located at www.reatta.net in 1996.... in 13 years I have compiled around 5,000 or about 1/4 of the Reattas made.

I have spent many Saturdays at my dealers computer searching and printing the information that appears on the SPIL (Service parts Information label)

It sure will be nice to get some help.

Guest CL_Reatta

I just sent carfax a question about their TOS since it seems a bit harsh, excesive use of the unlimited service will lead to cancellation of the service... If a get a reply to be allowed to use this I will be really happy to help out

CL,

that question has a (somewhat) easy answer. Carfax's parent company is R.L. Polk. hand them $1,700 (last time I checked), and they will spit up a list of all REGISTERED Reattas in the US. Canada is another $500.

some caveats here:

1) the totals will NOT include unregistered vehicles.

2) the totals will NOT include NEW, unregistered vehicles (est. 400)

3) the totals will NOT include Reattas abroad (est. 700).

bear in mind that the information you receive from them is only as accurate as what they have been given; another BIG caveat. a mistake of one digit in a VIN changes everything.

my own personal experience with Carfax has been beyond awful, with their inaccuracy rate approaching 70%. I would not expect the R.L. Polk to be too much better.

I've been seeing customers in Southern California for the past few days. a customer I've had for over seven years is going to sell her Reatta and get a new car. in the time I've known her, I have sold body parts for her car for eleven different accidents.

...and what does Carfax show? absolutely nothing. no police department entries, no body shop entries, nothing.

Mike

buickreattaparts.com

Guest CL_Reatta

I have questioned the accuracy of crafax at times as well. On my Land rover discovery I purchased, I ordered a carfax when I was selling it to include with the vehicle. When I got the report I noticed a problem. I bought the truck with about 101k showing on the odometer, and about 108k when I sold it.... Carfax report had told me that in like 1999 when it was registed in california the mileage was 106k.... but yet according to carfax it checked out for the odometer turnback check.... I was always wondering why the truck was sucha POS for what I had thought was such low mileage.... that same schmuck that sold me it is still selling cars too.... everyday I pass his house and want to smash the windshield of one of his cars for sale.

But anyways... accuracy wouldnt reallt be that big of a deal. getting these reports could help to deterine how mcuh of a chance there is that it is still running and where it is.