Car Corral at Hershey

Guest lschirato

A logical place to put it, given the present field set up. Sometimes difficult with people and moving cars occupying the same space but not really something you can avoid.

Overall a good choice, IMO.

Thank you and the rest of the Hershey Region members for another excellent job of planning and execution this year. I can't imagine the work involved.

Since you asked... smile.gif

I have never cared for the car corral in it's current layout. I always liked it better when it was in a parking lot layout like it used to be over near Chocolate World, or in front of the Giant Arena. This year, we were in a small lot to the west of the arena. That was nice - like it used to be.

I've car shopped at Hershey in the past, comparing two or more cars to each other. That's hard to do when they're a mile apart. I think the corral is just too far spread out.

Say, for example, that a buyer was interested in a '61 Bonneville bubbletop. There were three of them in the corral, but they were scattered everywhere. If you were truly interested and wanted to make comparisons (and I would at those asking prices!), it was a hike! Under the old layout, they'd have just been a couple of rows away.

I've also sold in the corral and twice I've gotten stuck in the parallel spaces over along the front. Not fun trying to parallel park a big 60's car (or, I would imagine, an older car without power steering, or automatic transmission) in one of those small spaces. Parallel parking is a lost art. And with all those people watching... crazy.gif And, sometimes you get there early to get in your space, and then you're parked in and can't get out.

I was with a gentleman with a car for sale. He was hoping to sell it and buy something else. Once we got there, he was afraid his car would sell, and he would have to walk all the way around the corral to shop for another one. He would never have made it.

Paul

I agree with Paul, I liked the old parking lot configuration much better. You could look across rows, and go to the car or cars you were interested in seeing, without walking a mile. I'd like to see the southern section of the Orange field transformed into car corral, still using the entrance on the southeast side of the Giant Center, and you could still have cars along that section of the drive. The rest of the now-car corral drive could be used for parking. When sending out requests for spaces, ask for people who only buy one or two spaces for parking only to volunteer to get a space along that drive to park in. That would help consolidate the real vendors. David Coco Winchester Va.

Guest my3buicks

for viewing pleasure (mini car show) the setup now is great - but I agree if trying to compare cars at either end, it's hard to do.

I liked this year's setup after finally figuring out that the road curved in sort of a "U" shape, so that the return walk was not so far as the first time, when I returned by the long way back. However, got a chance to take a second look at all of the cars. I wonder what percentage of these cars sold this year? How disappointing to a seller who trailered or drove a car sometimes hundreds of miles for a "no sale". There must have been some last-minute price reductions on Saturday.

Fred

Lisa, thanks for a great show. Although you will get some who won't like it, I think it is better to have it all in one place versus having it over in the old white field where you had to go across the street (out of your way) to see the cars. We'd get to the end of a flea market field and cut through the car corrall as a quick way to get over to the opposite end of the flea market field without having to tangle with the bridge.

It isn't like you're ever going to put vendors in the space where the car corral is, so you might as well use up every square inch that you've got. The cars aren't in the mud and dust, they can be seen from the road, it's easy to get them out if they sell.

I'll volunteer to run a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">free tram</span></span> back and forth, back and forth, back and forth from one end of the corral to the other. My vintage 1962 Laher stretch golf cart is just the answer to your tired feet; just needs a engine, brakes, paint job, and a fancy tasseled top.

lahersm.jpg

Now if HQ will let me put a tip jar on the cart like those porta-potty folks do... it's a deal...!

Laher Sixom Restoration Project

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vintage 1962 Laher stretch golf cart is just the answer to your tired feet; just needs a engine, brakes, paint job, and a fancy tasseled top.</div></div>

Isn't that called a complete restoration some places??? grin.gif haha Maybe you could fit it with a steam engine and make it eco-friendly??? Sounds like a great idea to me, including the tip jar....B

The Laher originally was an electric cart with lots of batteries. I did some research and the only thing left of the Laher company are their toxic factory locations listed on the Superfund Site.

Looks like a modern hydrostatic lawn mower engine will be the power plant. I've been collection horns whistles and sirens for several years now... there will be a multitude of buttons on the dash board that will dazzle the ears. Overall visual I'll keep original.

Anyone remember the trams that ran nonstop at the Ocean City Md boardwalk... they were always full of people. I always felt in that instance it kind of defeated the idea of a boardwalk smile.gif

I'm pulling for you Randy. As a foot challenged Hershey fan, I can see how your machine might make many happy. You surely want to contact Hershey about getting permission to operate this machine of yours though. After reading about the many complaints about abusers endangering foot traffic, I foresee Hershey cracking down a little in the years to come.

Wayne

PS, A trolley still runs in Ocean City! wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After reading about the many complaints about abusers endangering foot traffic, I foresee Hershey cracking down a little in the years to come.

Wayne </div></div>

Hershey needs to crack down a LOT in 2009. They need to <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">stop</span></span> people with unauthorized/banned carts/bikes etc., at the gate and not let them bring them in. They need to be tougher in the flea market area on the vendors and their kids that violate the rules.

There were more unauthorized golf carts, personal mobility units and even a massive ATV with four men on it this year. Bikes being ridden (one had wired a wagon to the back of his bike) kids on skateboards and kids and adults on Razor scooters.

If they do that there will be plenty of room for Randy to help people get from one side of the tunnel to the other. I vote for Randy and his desire to help others and would gladly give him a nice tip for the ride. Heck, I'll even buy him a crabcake and a soda for lunch if he wants.

Anyone ever been to the Auburn Indiana Fall Festival ? At the Kruse Auction Center they allow people to bring their own golf carts... paying a $50 fee each for that luxury. Some get carried away and dress up their carts with fancy wheels etc.

My plan is to have the Laher restored and take it Auburn. I met a teenager this year at Auburn who says he'll be more than glad to drive the thing for me. Not too much time there after, I find out that this kids grandpap owns the Auburn Hotel downtown. Before you could say "bell hop" along comes his grandpap and before you know it I'm getting a red carpet welcome..!

Guest Debby Soucia

I have a question about Alburn Fall Festival. We heard you need a cart of some sort just to get around. Every thing is far from car correl, auction, flea market. Is it like Hershey where you can walk? We can walk but were advised to get a cart before we go!

Deby

YOU CAN WALK VERY EASILY AROUND AUBURN. DON'T LET THE FACT THAT A BUNCH OF "BETTER THAN YOU PEOPLE" THAT THINK THEY NEED A GOLF CART. IT IS A MONEY MAKING THING FOR KRUSE. THEY DON'T RESPECT THE VENDORS WITH ALL THE DUST CREATED AND THE SPEED THEY DRIVE EM. IF YOU HAVE A HANDICAPPED STICKER, GREAT. IF NOT, GET OFF YOU OVERSIZED DUFF AND WALK!!! WHEN I INFORMED THE SECURITY PERSON ABOUT THE GOLF CART PROBLEM, I WAS INFORMED THAT THEY COULDN'T LEAVE THEIR POST. FOR THE VENDORS AT AUBURN THE CARTS ARE A PAIN THE #%$@**!!!!!

DAN

Guest Debby Soucia

OK

I have never been there and have been trying to find out what they have. We love Hershey and wondered if they had it like Hershey or if it was harded to get to the venders, like spread out far apart.

Do you know if they hae a camping spot like Hershey white field?

Thanks

Deby

Debby... I've been to the festival two years running in a row and here is my 2 cents opinion. There are basically 3 festivals going on at the same time as far as I can tell.

A) Kruse HQ is in Auburn and they hold a HUGE auction that weekend with million dollar cars, hollywood cars like the Dukes Hazzard and I saw the Flintstones Movie Car there last year. Admission is $20 per person and that does not impress me. If you arrive on the first day it's half price, or after 6pm it's half price. There are lots of artists set up near the main auction hall with some great works of art, many transportation related. Vendors are in a wooded area and a flat dusty field. I walked the entire vendor field buzzing thru in 3 hours with no bargains seen. Golf carts everywhere... seems like the real "event" at Kruse is watching others bid up huge amounts of dollars at the 4 day continious auction. I figured I'd join the "pissing contest" and would in fashion bring a HUGE GOLF CART in my effort to be accepted. I attended Auburn this past year but did not attend the Kruse Auctions... just could not see myself spending $20 to watch other people spend money.

2) The ACD Auburn Cord Duesenberg club holds a extensive weekend festival that week and it's well worth the time and expense to visit Auburn. They start the weekend off downtown with a huge get together and I think a icecream social. There is a car show where all the fancy movie star cars are displayed. The ACD Museum is part of the original Auburn Motor Car Factory and is one of the best auto museums there is... lots of volunteers that add flavor to the tour. Final day they have a fancy parade of cars starting at a quaint city park, ending down town. Most events are free or low cost.

3) The town of Auburn and it's citizens take full advantage of all the visitors and they hold concerts, fleamarkets, and every other home looked to be holding a yardsale. I bought a box of old 1920's Federal Tube Tire posters for a mere $5 and was one of my best ever finds at any yard sale.

Ted.... here's the link http://www.acdfestival.org