Hemmings Classic Car Magazine March 2009

BUICK RACER

I'm eager to see this issue, Roberta. I nominated Alex Pfaff for "The Next Generation" column that Jeff Koch writes each month, and I understand that Alex will be in this issue.

Alex is a new BCA member, 17 years old, who recently purchased an extremely fine 1964 Electra 225.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I just got my issue yesterday and it is quite a nice summary of the post-war Buicks we all know and enjoy. My 1948 Special Sedanet is on page 16. I sent material on this car and on my 1953 Special 2 door Riviera (Model 45R)in response to their call for information and photos. Aaron's 53 Special is on page 29 in a very dramatic front shot. My personal view is that the 1953 Buicks, with the vertical teeth grille and headlight treatment, are iconic representations of Buick styling during this period. Most people I meet in shows and parades, from young through old, immediately recognize this car as a Buick.

Joe, BCA 33493

There are two statements about 1964 Buick transmissions in this month's HCC that I think are incorrect. In the Drive Report of a Le Sabre coupe it says that 1964 Le Sabres were available with either the Super Turbine 300 or 400 transmission and I believe they were only available with the two-speed Super Turbine 300. In the article about Alex's Electra, it states that the car was "unusually optioned" and one of the options they listed was Super Turbine 300 transmssion. I think the Electras were only available with the Super Turbine 400 tranmssions. Am I right?

rustyshepherd, you are entirely correct about the mistake in the article about Alex's Electra 225.

Regarding the '64 LeSabres, I'm not sure whether the LeSabre "400" option was available in '64 or if it was first offered in '65. The "400" option included the ST400. Does anyone know if this was available on '64's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centurion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rustyshepherd, you are entirely correct about the mistake in the article about Alex's Electra 225.

Regarding the '64 LeSabres, I'm not sure whether the LeSabre "400" option was available in '64 or if it was first offered in '65. The "400" option included the ST400. Does anyone know if this was available on '64's? </div></div>

Three speed manual trans was standard on Special, Skylark, LeSabre and Wildcat, T300 was optional on the same, T400 was optional on the Wildcat, standard on Riviera and Electra. A 4-speed manual trans was optional on Special, Skylark, LeSabre and Wildcat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't got my copy yet and I have not received the January Bugle either.

Hemmings Muscle Car is suppose to have a spread on Tom Gestwick's car (1967 GS)that is shown in the HMN this edition. </div></div>

Hemmings Muscle Car has an awesome article on Tom's '67 GS!

Thanks for confirming what I thought about '64 transmissions. Regarding the Electra, I'm guessing that Alex and/or the author of the article assumed that because the '64 range selections were PRNDL on both the Super Turbine 300 and 400 that the Electra had the two-speed 300 transmission. I've never understood why the first year TH400 and ST400 units had only one drive and one low position particularly in the case of Cadillac which had had a dual-range transmission since 1952.

Three speed manual trans was standard on Special, Skylark, LeSabre and Wildcat, T300 was optional on the same, T400 was optional on the Wildcat, standard on Riviera and Electra. A 4-speed manual trans was optional on Special, Skylark, LeSabre and Wildcat. So the Wildcat with the big engine was available with both the ST300 and ST400?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rustyshepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Three speed manual trans was standard on Special, Skylark, LeSabre and Wildcat, T300 was optional on the same, T400 was optional on the Wildcat, standard on Riviera and Electra. A 4-speed manual trans was optional on Special, Skylark, LeSabre and Wildcat.</div></div> So the Wildcat with the big engine was available with both the ST300 and ST400?

No, you could get a standard 3 speed manual or optional 4 speed manual or optional T400 for Wildcat.