'23 HCS "Stutz", former A.K. Miller VT barn collection piece

tntaylor

I am posting some photos of this vehicle for those that have an interest in HCS vehicles. The car is owned by a Vermont collector, whom I did some restoration work for. He is not someone, who seeks attention or recognition for his well restored and cared for vintage vehicles, so I will not reveal his name. I am proud to have been instrumental in bringing this beauty back to it's former glory. The restoration was completed in 2006. The car retains the orginal backseat leather (refinished) and is 99% original down to the fasteners. The bright work is nickle plated. The car has started but will not run because of the need for a Stromberg carb rebuild. If you or someone you know is expert at rebuilding these carbs, drop me an e-mail at radegast1961@yahoo.com and I will forward that information. Just thought some might enjoy the photos. Be well. 3213144792_36c4ea0e83_b.jpg3212298743_e6eeec79eb_b.jpg3213145132_68644b770d_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To Mr. Taylor.

After being unsuccessful in finding anyone remotely familiar with early brass Strombergs, I just finished rebuilding two Stromberg Carbs for my 1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster on my own. An OS-2 and a LB-2. Your HCS probably has some ones of these oddball Stromberg sizes.

In both cases I disassembled the carbs as much as possible and had them lightly beadblasted. The parts that wouldn't come out I left as these were factory settings anyway in the drill holes. I also bought several LB-1 and O-1 and OE-1 carbs on ebay to get spare parts as all the parts and knurled knobs interchange. The Stromberg numbers merely identify the throat diameter, while all else is the same. After getting the blasted parts back, I paintakingly reassembled the carbs after flushing everything out good with carb alcohol cleaner. The parts buff up beautrifully when they are disassembled.

I bought Carb rebuild kits from the Carb shop on ebay. They seem to have them for all these old ones. Just Google Stromberg carburetor and get to their site to order these kits. The products fit perfectly and replace the worn needle vave, seat, and the iron screws.

Tuning isn't as hard as you think. There is alot of Tuning information in the Kissel Owner's manual and I'm sure Stutz manuals give directions. In one afternoon of fiddling around, I got mine to idle, adjust for hi-speed, and economize (the three Stromberg adjustments) very well. Remember, these early 1920's cars were made for regular folks to be able to care for and adjust without mechanics.

If you can restore that beautiful HCS Stutz, you will be able to do the Stromberg!.

Ron Hausmann P.E.