Pontiac Build Sheets (full sized pre-1961)

60 Catalina Guy

Looking for help. I own a 1960 Pontiac Catalina. I have been attempting to research the vehicle's history as completely as possible. Pontiac Historic Services only has information back to 1961. I have decoded the VIN and Cowl Tags, but am curious about factory build sheets for this car. I found a 3x5 style card stapled under the rear seat with several sets of numbers typed on it but they need to be decoded (with the exception of what appears to be a date). I can't imagine Pontiac taking the time or resources to pin this into the seat bottom unless it was important. Is this an early attempt at a build sheet?? If so, can anybody decode this if given the numbers?? Any insight would be great. Thanks.

I would think that there are codes on there that will explain many options on the car. I have an Olds but also have a smaller style sheet that has options for the car. I got mine decoded from a book about restoring this car. Have you tried a book store to see if you could find anything like this?

Also you could try http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/

They may have some information for you.

Thanks for your time. It seems like cars from the mid to late sixties onward have a ton of information on these build sheets (decoding information, where people are finding them in their cars, etc). I have seen very little on cars from 1960 and earlier. I've been trying to do a lot of research online, but libraries are next. I will try your link as well. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 60 Catalina, I am the 1957 Technical Advisor for the Pontiac Oakland Club, if you send me a personal message I can try to help decode them, and I know a 1960 expert if necessary. I suspect this card was probably placed inside by Fisher Body and probably has body-related items from their plant. Such codes are not totally forgotten but you will not find a restoration book on 1960 Pontiacs, that is for sure. At your service, Todd C