65 Riv GS on eBay Real?

cjp69

Couldn't find where this car had been discussed, which surprised me since it has been on eBay several times in the last year.

So is it real or fake? Things right and wrong about it? Pro's and Con's? Estimated value? I am currently in the market for a nice 65 Riv and would like some feedback on this car from the 65 guys please!

Also, if you know of a real nice 65 Riviera for sale (doesn't have to be a GS), please let me know about it.

Thanks in advance, Chris

You mean the one from British Columbia? It is odd there is only a 3 line descrition for such a sought after car with 41,000 mi. Uness you find someone who has seen the car you will want to collect the important info yourself. Too much at stake to get pertinent info second or 3rd hand. Start with asking the owner the engine code and serial number and see if it matches. Next ask about evidence of rust in the floors, trunk and body before it was painted.

If you aren't set on a GS model, your money will go twice as far when buying a non-GS VS GS car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a great article written by Ray Knott on the ROA's website on how to identify a Gran Sport. Check it out first before you start asking questions. Then you'll know what questions to ask to authenticate it.

Ed </div></div>

Unfortunately it is in the Members Only section of the ROA, so it isn't easily accessible for most non Riv owners to view. I have read it, and I think I have asked the right questions, except I am unclear as to what his build date is, and therefore what the proper placement is of the Gran Sport emblems. Can someone tell by looking at the pictures, is the front emblem the larger one?

For the larger emblem, is the "G" in the front fender emblem in the same starting point (below the "i" in Riviera as it is for the smaller emblem? There is only a picture of the smaller emblem placement in the memo so it was unclear to me.

The owner has confirmed to me that the engine is an "LX" code engine and it is numbers matching. I don't think he has checked the transmission for the BS Code. The rear is a 3.42 posi.

He says it is all original except for a repaint to black from gold. Waiting to hear back on whether there was rust before the repaint.

Thanks, Chris

If the engine is an LX code with serial number matching the VIN I don't think you have much too worry about as far as it being legitimate GS. There were only 454 65s that got the 2x4 engine option without the GS option. Thats the only other thing it could be and even if that was the case, its still a very sought after car.

For the estimated money this guy is asking, I'd want to go see it before buying. Again, the 3 sentence description is a red flag. The seller is leaving it up to the buyer to ask all the questions so he can't be blamed for misrepresenting the car. For what is likely a car with a minimum of a $25,000 reserve, the description should be more like a short story.

Thanks Jason. Here is some additional info from the seller (with my notes inserted). I am going to pass on the car, but figured I would post it here in case other's are interested.

I am still looking for a very nice 65 Riviera (or maybe a 64), please contact me with leads!

(How long have you owned it?) 1 year havent really drove it (any rust repaired when it was painted 20 years ago?) there was rust removed in the drivers floor pan and in the rear in the trunk there is some rust under the rocker panels (did you check the tranny for the BS code and #'s?) i just checked tranny on passenger side and it is a bs 65 1 it is painted green so that is all i can make out (are the miles original at 41k or are they 141k?) i think abot maybe 70000 i doubt 141 the motor and tranny run too well and it hasent been rebuilt the car needs going over thats why iall let it go for 14 as is

I don't know if this is a GS or not. If it has the carbs, emblems, tranny, distributor, springs, exhaust, then I'd call it a GS.

Here's the problem with the car: The VIN is too low to be a large emblem car. My car, which I think is an 11A build, has a higher VIN and has small emblems.

With that said, if the package is complete, it's a simple matter to correct the emblems to the small version if you know where to drill the holes.

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjp69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> there was rust removed in the drivers floor pan and in the rear in the trunk there is some rust under the rocker panels (are the miles original at 41k or are they 141k?) i think abot maybe 70000 i doubt 141 the motor and tranny run too well and it hasent been rebuilt the car needs going over thats why iall let it go for 14 as is </div></div>

Ahh too bad about the serious rust issues, that does really bring the price down. If they were fixed right the $14k price still wouldn't be bad but is a good reason to see a car in person. He seems honest when questioned but he should have revealed all that without asking so one has to wonder what other problems there are. I think you made the right call passing on it especially since you aren't deadset on a GS.

By the way, did you check into what taxes, duty, fees, etc are involved bringing a car across the border from Canada?

Joining the Riviera Owners Association prior to buying a Riv is a great way to make connections in the Riviera world and educate yourself on the model you are looking for. Some of the best deals aren't advertised on ebay and found by word of mouth. The ROA national is up your way this June in Sacramento. It'd be a good oppotunity for you to look at other cars and meet other member; or perhaps bring your car if you find it before then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JZRIV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjp69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> there was rust removed in the drivers floor pan and in the rear in the trunk there is some rust under the rocker panels (are the miles original at 41k or are they 141k?) i think abot maybe 70000 i doubt 141 the motor and tranny run too well and it hasent been rebuilt the car needs going over thats why iall let it go for 14 as is </div></div>

Ahh too bad about the serious rust issues, that does really bring the price down. If they were fixed right the $14k price still wouldn't be bad but is a good reason to see a car in person. He seems honest when questioned but he should have revealed all that without asking so one has to wonder what other problems there are. I think you made the right call passing on it especially since you aren't deadset on a GS.

By the way, did you check into what taxes, duty, fees, etc are involved bringing a car across the border from Canada?

Joining the Riviera Owners Association prior to buying a Riv is a great way to make connections in the Riviera world and educate yourself on the model you are looking for. Some of the best deals aren't advertised on ebay and found by word of mouth. The ROA national is up your way this June in Sacramento. It'd be a good oppotunity for you to look at other cars and meet other member; or perhaps bring your car if you find it before then. </div></div>

I have brought cars into the US from Canada before, the fees aren't that much, certainly alot less than the sales tax that we have to pay (9%) here in WA. It is actually more of a hassle to bring a car into CA if you aren't the owner than it is to bring one out that you have bought.

I have thought about joining the ROA, but haven't done it yet. I may go to a local meeting or two if I can find time. A couple of the members of my BCA chapter here are also in the ROA.

Sacramento is probably not doable for me, hard to sell my wife and two small children on a car event being a good family vacation, believe I have tried many times with no success.

I agree, lots of places better than eBay to find a car, and I have been searching the net and have recently started putting the word out. I have a couple of leads I am working on but I am pretty picky, as my other Buick's are nice, I need something of comparable quality or it won't get driven, and then it makes no sense to buy it.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

It might be a "Grand Sport" but it is not a Gran Sport in my opinion. If it doesn't have a 425 with dual quads it is not a GS. With the original motor gone, there's no way to know for sure if it ever was. Gran Sport's had a 3.42 ratio rear end and not 3.58 as the seller claims. If you truly want to buy a '65 Gran Sport, this is not it...