interior color code

Guest Michael Minnie

Guest Michael Minnie

I recently purchased a console lid with a cup holder in it . It is blue my 1990 convertible is red exterior with a tan interior and I need the correct color code to change it to. I am currently in FL til spring and my car is in MI. would appreciate

any help thank you

Mike

Mike,

just go to any auto paint supply store and ask them for S-E-M

interior paint. the correct corporate color name you are looking for is medium beechwood.

the S-E-M will come premixed, and will not require thinning for use on any interior component other than carpeting. I'll cover spraying carpeting in a later post on this thread. S-E-M is available in pint or quart sizes. you will find yourself spraying all sorts of things inside (like the steering wheel), so be sure to get enough. you can buy a Preval sprayer there (propellant cartridge on top, glass bottle on the bottom) for about $5.50.

before you spray the armrest, be sure to remove the black plastic inner liner. for a really professional look, remove the cupholder assembly, and spray it separately. be sure to clean everything with alcohol before spraying.

Mike

buickreattaparts.com

Guest Michael Minnie

Thank you . will I need two different paints one for the soft vinyl and one for the hard plastic cup holder itself ?thank's nMike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just go to any auto paint supply store and ask them for S-E-M interior paint. the correct corporate color name you are looking for is medium beechwood.</div></div>Mike,

Do you have a list of the "corporate color names" for the Reatta interior colors? I have added this info to my website and would like to include a list of the colors as reference to aid in buying the correct S-E-M paint.

Guest daveagain909

reattadudes, I saw in your comment that this paint can be used on steering Wheels, How do you prep a steering wheel for this paint? also what is the color code for a 1990 convetible with burgandy interior? Is there a specific color I ask for?

On another topic where would I get a dye to color for the leather seats (burgandy) where small cracks show no color?

Dave,

I would recommend using a product called Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. most auto paint supply stores will have it.

first, clean you steering wheel with alcohol. follow the directions on the Bulldog label, and then spray with the color after the Bulldog dries. it is (obviously) best to do this with the steering wheel out of the car. be sure to mask off the Reatta logo on the airbag assembly, and spray the airbag assembly, too. it will give a much more finished look, and everything will look like new.

I should mention here that this is not something someone should attempt to do "on the cheap". quality automotive paints are not inexpensive. expect to pay about $14 per can for the Bulldog, and the S-E-M spray will be between $20 and $45 per can depending on color, and whether you buy a pint or a quart.

both products will go a long way, and you could respray your entire interior with a quart. skip any ideas about buying premixed cans; none of the colors are exact matches to any Reatta colors, and the mixture in the cans is near transparent. it will take many premixed cans to equal of pint of the custom-mixed S-E-M, so there is no real money saved at all, beside the fact that the premixed colors are off by a mile.

here are the color names for all Reatta interior colors:

-Sapphire Blue (1988-1991)

-Medium Beechwood (1988-1991) on Reattas, this color is called "saddle", but the Medium Beechwood is actually the correct corporate color name.

-Medium Dark Gray (1988-1989 only)

-Light Slate Gray (1990-1991 only)

-Garnet Red (1988-1990 only)

-Flame Red (1990-1991) 1990 as a trim color on select-sixty convertibles, 1991 for complete interiors. dash tops on 1991 models with this color interior will be satin balck.

-White (1990-1991 convertibles) there will be a standard GM white in the S-E-M color book for 1990.

hope this helps.

Mike

buickreattaparts.com

Guest daveagain909

On another topic where would I get a dye to color the leather seats (burgandy) where small cracks show no color? now I KNOW IT IS GARNETT RED, Is there a liquid shoe polish anyone has used? if so where can I get the liquid,

Mike you information was a big help.

I found a source for SEM paint and they have a color chart, see link

http://www.vinylprosem.com/page/1285420

They do not list Medium Beechwood and we all know that the color charts are seldom the actual color. Does anyone know the SEM part numbers for the colors.

Where I live, the auto parts stores mainly carry Dupli-color spray cans. SEM is very hard to find and the selection is poor.

Example...for orignal tan interior...Dupli-color HUP113 Medium Geige is lighter and wash-out looking compared to the original. I found a can of SEM Saddle tan 15033 and it looks like olive drab next to the original.

The above is why I sell the reproduction visor clips unpainted.

Guest spyhunter2k

In a recent thread where I asked about restoring interior vinyl a member advised that they'd tried both of the pre-mixed SEM colors that are the closest to the Reatta tan, and that neither was close enough. I'm not sure if SEM can custom-mix a color for you.

Daves89 mentioned that he'd gotten the body shop to custom mix some Medium Beechwood vinyl paint, with good success, and provided the contact info for this source in case someone would like to call and mail-order some interior paint. If given the correct RPO code for the interior color, I'm sure that this same shop could mix up alternate colors.

Here's a link to that thread:

Restoring Interior Vinyl Thread

Barney,

the color chart you pulled up is for the STOCK pre-mixed colors. as I mentioned, you don't want to use these at all, and there is no need to. S-E-M could not list the thousands of custom colors they offer on a card.

that's why I mentioned to ONLY buy from an auto paint supply store. S-E-M provides them with a 300+ page formula book that allows them to mix the correct color by formula. I should also mention here to ONLY USE solvent dye, NOT latex.

an auto paint supply store is the place a body shop would go to get paint. the store will most likely have a rack of S-E-M stock premixed colors; walk right by, and go to the counter. they will have a box full of fan-deck samples by year. select your year, and find the color by looking at the back of the chip. an auto paint supply store is NOT Wal-Mart, Autozone, NAPA, Pep Boys, Kragen, Chief, Shucks, O'Reilly, Checker, or just about any other auto parts store.

most of our S-E-M quart cans have drips all over them (and I can't read the codes), but I do have a few of the S-E-M color codes:

-medium beechwood: 4310

-sapphire blue: (label says "very dark sapphire", but is correct color) 4259

if you have either of these two colors, this will save a lot of time looking up the color code.

I should also mention here that the S-E-M color can also be used on carpeting, but several things must be done first to make the job perfect.

1) the carpeting MUST be clean. use an aerosol carpet/upholstery shampoo like Woolite. clean carpeting, and allow to dry.

2) if the carpeting on your rear deck area has turned almost white (this especially goes for all of you with saddle interiors), or carpet fuzz comes off on your hand when you rub it, this will most likely not work well.

3) fill the Preval sprayer bottle about 1/3 of the way with the S-E-M color; fill the bottle the rest of the way with lacquer thinner. this thins the color, and allows it to become more transparent. shake well.

4) spray the carpeting in light coats, allowing it to dry in between.

5) THIS IS THE MOST CRITICAL STEP. take a stiff bristle brush, and brush carpeting in several directions after each coat has dried. this will soften up the nap of the carpeting, and will allow you to see any areas that need retouching. blend in the faded areas with the unfaded ones.

if this is done properly, the areas that have faded will be completly undetectable from the areas that were not.

DO NOT use the S-E-M full strength on the carpeting, thinking it will cover faster, or better. it will make an ungodly, splotchy, stiff mess. the thinning with lacquer thinner allows for tinted transparent coats, and they give a much more natural appearance.

a little tip for filling in cigarette burns in carpeting, if you have any; do this before the color coat.

move the seat forward, and select an area under the seat. using a sharp razor blade, move the blade back and forth lightly over the area. don't dig it in, just move it back and forth.

soon, you will have a little pile of fuzz, not unlike "funny fur", if you ever built model cars in the 60's.

take your fuzz pile up to the burn areas. put a drop of super glue in the burn hole, and pack some carpet fuzz into it. pack it well, and brush away any extra lightly with your hand. you burn hole will now be completely gone.

my Park Avenue had over 30 burn holes in the carpeting from the previous owner; today, you can't see a single one.

old car business trick.

Mike

buickreattaparts.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michael Minnie

I took a 1990 reatta door panel to my friends body shop and his paint supplier then took it with him to get a color spectrometer reading .The SEM color that was a good match is #15173 CAMEL.When parts that I sprayed are viewed along side the original door panel they look almost identical colorwise. Mike

• 1 year later...

SEM is definitely the way to go for all interior repairs!

Daveagain909: There is a crack filler that you can use to repair small cracks in the seats and on the vinyl. Apply the repair material, cure it with heat and then texture as needed. Then hit it with SEM that is mixed to the right color and bingo, like new.

Reattatude: The best chrome "touch-up" paint is made by a company called ALSA. Here is their website Alsa Corp | The World's Most Exotic Paints and Finishes. You can buy a complete package for about $115.00. They are called "killer cans" and are the best I have found on the market. It is a paint with finely ground aluminum suspended in a paint. The results are a very real looking chrome.

Don't use crap like dupli-color. You will be wasting your money and time. I am an auto painter by trade for the last 15 years and am now doing interior repairs for the last couple of months.

These are just my opinions and I don't work for any of these companies, just used their products and found these to be the best.

Jeremy