48 Desoto Fluid Drive problems

Guest Billyzack

Guest Billyzack

I have a 48 Desoto with a Fluid Drive trans. It runs and drives well but will not upshift in either low or high ranges. I have tested the solenoid, governor, switches, everything seems to be working but when I let up on the gas to upshift, I hear a click but no clunk and no upshift. Anyone out there know anything about these? Or, anyone know someone in Phoenix that works on them? Thanks, Billyzack

Guest Billyzack

I did not know there was 2 places to check the fluid. I checked it on the trans and filled until it was up to the hole on the side. Where do I check the fluid drive unit and how do I check to see if it's full? This may be my problem. Thanks, Billy

martin927, Hi,I bought a '50 Chrysler Windsor Coupe with

the same problem as Yours. I finally found that on the side

of the transmission there are three plugs, one above the other. bottom one is the drain,centre one is where the oil level should be, In My case,somebody filled the oil level up to the top hole,which is a access hole only for a set screw.This high oil level allowed the oil to get in the govenors,that contain electric contact points,which could'nt make contact because of the oil. If this is Your problem,drain the oil down to the middle plug,remove and clean the govenor with enthylhydrate,or similar cleaner,touch up contact points with fine emery cloth and You should be in buisness if thiswas Your problem.

Hope this works for You, worked for Me.