Sign in to follow this  

BAFFLES IN WATER PUMP MTG ???

I am STILL disassembling my '41 V12 for a TOTAL rebuild.

This engine was rebuilt in the mid-1990's. (and abviously not

well done.)

Upon removing the water pumps, I have found "baffles"

cut out of thin brass "shim" stock that was carefully cut to fit in the recesses of the pump mounting "oriface".

TWO questions:

1) where to send the pumps for rebuild, AND

2) If I do have them rebuilt, do I need to re-use these "baffles"?

Thanks for any help!

Michael

Skips ( Fords R Us) does a great job rebuilding and up-grading water pumps with higher flow impellers at a reasonable price. Those "baffles" are actually divertors that even-out the coolant flow especially at low speeds. They force more coolant to the rear so that it can't "short circuit" around the front cylinders. Some folks don't like them but Lincoln put them in for a reason. With the new higher flow pumps they may not be necessary?

I had skip rebuild my water pumps after a big Lincoln vender rebuilt them and they only lasted 1 month.

I havent had a problem with skips pumps and with the diverter plates in the temp in fairly even from front to back. I use a infared temp gun to check it and there is no more than 15 degrees from front to back. Im also using the new felpro gaskets with even sized water holes.

What vendor rebuilt your pumps originally? Send me a private message if you don't want to put it here.

this is what I like to read... I'll be pulling out my waterpumps to send to Skip this weekend if weather cooperates... (my coil(s) are going his way too...) Ideally the car will be much more drivable come this spring.

I can't remember, help me out here, is there a spot where you oil or lube the water pump? I have one that is making some noise, but not leaking. On my Auburn there is a place for oiling.

on my lincoln ('47) there's a small tube with a flap down cover used for oiling it, though I'm not certain if it looks the same on earlier models (I'll try to get a photo up this weekend)

Thanks. That is what I thought. My shed is too dark for me to examine without a flashlight. I will pull it out tomorrow and take a look. What type of oil do you all suggest?

Found them. Gave them a good oiling, now I am thinking I might just need to tighten the belt. I will give that a shot tomorrow.

You might want to spray a little Armoral on the belt, it should quiet it down. Can't have a "squeaky" Lincoln!

on a similar note, I just pulled the waterpumps out of my '47's V-12 (now boxed and enroute to Skip) and noted the absence of the divertors/baffles -- were they still used in the later V-12's? If so, anybody have any idea where I might be able to obtain a couple?

earle brown listed in sources on lzoc site has them with installation instructions. ask skip if you need them with his newly rebuilt pumps.

good idea on asking skip (why didn't I think of that?) but thanks for the heads up on Earle Brown...

Thoses baffles ( diverters) were first used in the '41 engines and continued on to the last v12 in '48. The parts book shows they could also be used in the early 12's. Their purpose was to even up the coolant flow and help mitigate overheating problems.

what are turn around times for water pump upgrades and coil repair at skips? Pricing? and contact #'s ? I just took all the stuff off my engine and am trying to decide if I am going to get all this done . The pumps seem sufficiently tight and smooth and diverter plates in place but the gentleman who rebuilt this engine back in the 70s or 80s passed away and I dont really know all I wish I did about it. I do know that he never really ran the engine much after the rebuild and that compression tests cheek out fine. His son said the engine probably had less than 500 miles on it after the rebuild and I drove it maybe 50 - 100 miles before I started the restoration and it ran better than my new car. The problem is now funds after sinking so much into stainless polishing, crome, painting, rubber, wiring harnesses,etc, etc, etc. WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?

Skip told me to expect about a 1 week turn around for my Coil and Water Pumps -- but your mileage may vary. Also he does <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> recommend using the stock lincoln water deflectors with his upgraded water pumps.