No heat !!! Help Please.

Guest fcr

Cold in Florida, 50 - 60 degrees. Never used heater before. A/C works fine in all modes. When pushing heat button and raising temp, nothing. Any suggestions. Frank R., Cape Coral, Fl.. Thanks. 1990 Convertible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fcr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cold in Florida, 50 - 60 degrees. Never used heater before. A/C works fine in all modes. When pushing heat button and raising temp, nothing. Any suggestions. Frank R., Cape Coral, Fl.. Thanks. 1990 Convertible. </div></div> Click here for No Heat-Troubleshooting instructions.

Look in the 90 or 91 online (at reatta.net) service manuals. "Insufficient heat" diagnosis and proceedure is in chart 6 section 1C (Climate Control) - page 1C24 in the 90 or 91 manual.

This shows the air mix valve control and the actuator rod that comes from the top of the HVAC Programmer (black thingie with the hose bundle on the bottom next to the ECM).

If not moved for a long time and particularly in Florida for some reason, the foam seal on the diverter valve can become glued in place beyond the capacity of the relatively weak servoactuator in the programmer to move it.

Long small fingers (can span an octave and a note, wear ladies watch bands) have been known to be able to reach behind the glove box and free the rod/valve (pull towards the programmer while set to high heat) but it is easier to just remove the glove box.

As these cars age, this sort of thing is liable to become more common such as a defroster that goes bang shortly after you start the engine.

ps I generally can feel heat starting when the coolant passes 100F, at 180F it will roast you out.

pps 46F out the back door right now (11 am)

Guest squiretom

had similar issue with my '91. remove glove box and watch actuator rod movement as you change temp setting from say 65 to 90. rod should move slowly to attain desired temp. if it does not move , carefully remove clip from end of rod and manually move to the left or right . if you get heat , the servo is bad. i never get much heat unless i set the temp to

90 and once the heat comes pouring out , i back off to about 80.

also check the servo assy as mine started to come apart at the joint. this will affect movement of the arm also.

if that fails ,at least in fla , back it into full sun and with all the glass it will be 90 + in no time

Guest squiretom

do not have a roof vent , but if i did and left it open i would have at least 3 geckos and 2 tree frogs setting up house keeping.

If you are pushing the button and there is no change in the reading, you need to clean the contacts. In the attached picture, there is a grey rubber pad that you need to clean between the rubber and the circuit board. It may be in the link Ronnie sent you to.

If the reading on the controller changes but you do not get heat it is the heat control valve (door) and you need to remove the glove box and verify that the rod is moving. see second picture.

post-30596-143138036419_thumb.jpg

post-30596-14313803642_thumb.jpg

Barney cleaning the contacts is something that appears to be needed quite often to getting the heater readout to work on 90 and 91 models.

Could you please give instructions on how to remove the assembly that contains the circuit board you show in your first photo? If you could I would like to add a tutorial on how to remove and clean the contacts on my website.

Thanks