New paint job

Guest alex_houston

Guest alex_houston

The answer is 2000 Mustang spoiler. Perfect fit, just drill 4 small holes. Yes the trunk stays up.

A new shop by my house opened up. Maco wanted $1400, but this guy did a better job for $580. He is looking for more to do.

Strange story, while my car was there, some man stopped and inquired about my car. He said he has 8 Reattas and will likely let this guy paint some of them. Who else could that be here around Houston/Pasadena area?

Guest alex_houston

Yes, pin stripe was incidental to the paint job. In fact, the guy even removed my old tail-light instead of painting around it just so he could install my new one for me. Somehow he even masked out the black rubber around the door handles.

That does bring up a good question for me to ask. Who provides the silver cover kit for the trunk latch?

Guest daveagain909

alex, Is the paint clear coated or is it single stage., color and finish all in one? how does it really look up close? Is it really nice? looks great in photo. ask him if he can come to raleigh and pint for us here.

Guest alex_houston

No, I did not check the milage. I don't really think it makes any difference here in town which is where I drive it. I never take it out on the highway because when I take trips, etc, I always have to haul things and I use my truck.

Guest alex_houston

send your e-mail and I will give you photos of the spoiler.

That spoiler gives the car the 2000s look which makes a lot of people think it is a new car. Many are shocked when they find out it is almost 20 years old. That is one of the nice things about Reattas.

Guest Reatta1

I'd be curious too about which method was used to paint it. If it's one of those all in one steps where the clear is mixed into the paint. It looks great initially but it won't last very long. Had that experience with a Cimmaron I had. It looked absolutely terrible after only about a year and a half. I would of had to have the whole car sanded down to the metal and then repaint in order to make it look good again.

A shame so far from Maryland. I would get my Reatta painted in a second. Clear coat or not. Remember guys, cars didn't have a clear coat years ago and the paint shinned.....My spoiler via the flee market for $8. Came that color, honest.

ken

post-30972-143138036458_thumb.jpg

post-30972-143138036461_thumb.jpg

Forgot:> don't know what car it came from.

have heavy duty boat struts on the trunk lid and it

used to open all the way by itself.

now just acts like normal. unlatches.

once up the heavy struts hold it up..........ken

Guest MauiWowee

Ronnie, I know yours is from an Alero. Mine too. His is different, doesn't look quite like the Mustang units some have used. cool.gif

(This is where VV says he hates them all)

Guest SwiftBuicks

Why did you choose White? I had a white Firenza which I kept on the road for more than a decade. After that I would not have any color that wasn't dark. That's also one of those phoney convertible tops, right? Is that a replacement? Do you have any idea what a replacement for one of those costs?

Guest Jim Piro

<span style="font-weight: bold">When mine was repainted, my guy took braided cooper wire and very gently lifed each inch of the seal and put the wire under the rubber, masked under the gasket and did his thing. It was a good job! No paint lines where the gasket and the glass come together. My job, besides paying, was to remove the mirrors (painted separately), trim at the tops of the doors, body side moldings, rear light assembly and the antenna. Took me awhile to reassemble but the car is a show stopper! </span>

Swiftbucks,

Looking at the pictures of the car, it is a real convertible. Easy enough to spot by the high mount brake light being in the outside rear deck rather than inside the back window. Also I imagine he chose white because that was the original color, and is easier to repaint to same color.

As well, it appears to have a burgundy interior, so that limits the suitable paint colors to white, silver, grey and black. Anything else that was a stock Reatta color would look, uh, strange. Well, I guess claret red would work also now that I think about it.

While I like some dark colors; claret red looks good on a Reatta and I love polo green, I prefer white cars. In my case it looks good with the red interior, stays cleaner than I thought it would and is statistically proven to be safer to drive.

Preference for paint color of course is purely subjective.

Not to loose sight of the original purpose of this thread, the new paint job does look very good. Hopefully it holds up well in the long term. A failed repaint can be a nightmare to correct.

KDirk

Guest SwiftBuicks

Yes, it looks good, but I was always cleaning my white car. However, I lived in Mass. and the winters leave plenty of crud on your car there. By the way, I have a couple of those phony convertible roofed cars and wonder what it would cost to replace them.

Guest alex_houston

That is not a phony top. It is a replacement with original type material (used the original headliner) and glass window with the defrosters. My cost $800 at a shop down here. Double that at most shops.