1946 218 vs 1948 230

Maybe someone can help me out here, I have a 230 in my 1948 1 ton. I have found a 1946 rebuilt 218. Can someone confirm that they are the physically the same size. I know they are a different bore and stroke. Is there any difference between a car 218 and a truck 230. I'm looking to make a clean swap between the two does anyone see a problem ? thank you

Hello Forklift,

There is a differents in the flywheels .The 218 has a 4 bolt hole flywheel as the 230 has 8 bolt hole.other then that the engines should swap without any more problems.BUT I would check the size oh block as I have found the 243 chysler engine in the 1 ton trucks.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Vern

I run a 1952 251 motor bolted right up to the original 4 speed transmission in my 1936 Dodge LE31 dump. Motor is 2 1/2" longer than original so I use a multiblade racing fan which is pretty flat. I can just get my finger between the fan and the radiator. Never had a overheating problem in 4 years yet. Truck runs well with additional H.P. I think it would work.

post-57203-143138035418_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard it said that you can turn the front motor mounts around and gain enough space to install the larger Chrysler 6 cyl. engine in a '30's model dodge/plymouth. Never tried, so don't know the truth. Do know that the 230 flywheel will bolt on the 217 crank shaft and the '38 clutch and transmission will bolt up to a '42 230 ci engine, but you got to use the 8 bolt flywheel.

forklift there is no problems with the swap, i have done it a few times , as Vern says there is a difference in the flywheel bolt holes , just leave the flywheel on it , no problems , the cluch will fit .I've even converted a 218 to a 230 by changing the crankshaft and the rods and of coures boring it out . the swap to the long block moter involves a bit more than just turning the front mount's around ,i did it to a 54 plymouth that had been converted to a truck , i also had to reverse the mounts on the radiator to make it fit

Just a heads up. The cover on the master cylinder is on back to front. It's easy to do because the bolt pattern is linear. But the fill plug goes to the front. The reason is when the firewall is back in place it will be difficult to put anything like a funnel in the plug hole witht the firewall overhanging it. Pretty engine.