Sign in to follow this  
treysir

1931 buick 8-57 timing Help!!!!!!

Hi guys hope anybody can help? Did they have timing lights back in the 30's I need to set my points and time on my car. I have it on #1 cylinder and set each set of points on the high point of the cam in the distributor. set them to .018 she starts up and runs for a minute or so then wants to load up and putters out. I think I don't have my points and timing set right. Can anybody help?

Thanks

You want to have the points just opening, not at the high point. This will give you a good starting point. Then when the engine is warmed up you can advance or retard it for optimin operation.

Are you able to see the timing marks on the flywheel? (that's where they are on my '38) You can time the ignition statically by rotating the engine until the timing marks line up (with cylinder 1 ready for it's power stroke - both valves closed) This is 4 degrees BTDC on the '38. Then, rotate the distributor until the points are just about to open. Lock it down in this position and you should be to spec.

If you can't find any timing marks, then start where you are now, and try rotating the distributor just a bit in either direction. You can pretty much judge by ear - then drive it and repeat until you are happy.

Sounds like your timing is pretty close already, if it starts right up. Check to be sure your choke is not opening too soon or not soon enough - put the throttle cam up a notch or two, then operate the choke by hand as the engine fires. See if you can keep it running by a little more or a little less choke. How's your idle mixture setting? Ideally you would not disturb this until the engine is fully warmed up - then tweak to find the best idle. But, if you think they are way off, try gently turning them in until they bottom, and backing off about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns. (keep track of where you started, so you can get back there if need be!)

Good luck,

Jeff

hi there

Get yourself a copy of the 1931 Specification & Adjustments (Bob's Automobilia have them) It gives very clear instructions for accurate timing-you need to set one set of points for No1 cylinder and the other for No6. Having done that you can then use a timing light with the flywheel marks. If it's a 12 Volt light you just need to connect it to a 12v supply (battery or charger) to illuminate the light and connect the induction lead as normal on the No1 spark plug lead.

best wishes

Jules

I have a 1931 Series 50 too as well as the Specifications & Adjustments book. Can someone please explain to me why the point timing procedure described in that book is so complicated? I never heard of having to take a valve cover off of a car to set the points?

Thanks much!

steve

Jules has the answer... I too have a 31-57 with dual points... I also suggest you check the heat riser for leaks into the intake and that your exhaust is not blocked by the flapper valve above the down pipe....

My 2 cents...

Hi Jules, would you have a copy of the Specification and Adjustments manual in an electronic format that I could review. Not sure if it is the correct one for our car. We have a 1931 McLaughlin Buick built in Canada. This would really help us out. Thanks.

Hi Jules, would you have a copy of the Specification and Adjustments manual in an electronic format that I could review. Not sure if it is the correct one for our car. We have a 1931 McLaughlin Buick built in Canada. This would really help us out. Thanks.

Mark is probably right here. It seems mark And others on here never get tired of answering some of the same problems that arise. And for that we can all be great full. Thanks again to all who take time to help

Mark is probably right here. It seems mark And others on here never get tired of answering some of the same problems that arise. And for that we can all be great full. Thanks again to all who take time to help

Yes, this is very true but also note this is a question he answered 3 years ago as this is a somewhat ancient thread that someone resurrected.

Sorry Tom, no I do not have an electronic copy but can highly recommend the Specifications and Adjustments book-it covers all the engines for 1931 so will be good for your car

cheers

Jules