Sign in to follow this  
imported_Phil Knapp

Turn Signal Switch

Some time ago I posted a "Tech Tip" about adding the turn signals to the brake light using a turn signal switch from a 1956 Lincoln or T-Bird. Here are photos of the switches. You can see that they are the exact shape and size as the original 1941-48 Lincoln turn signal switch, and bolt right in. I've used one of these in my 1947 Continental for some 40+ years and have this pair ready to go into my '41 Continental and my '41 Zephyr project car.

I know that Larry's Thunderbird parts sells the switches (new) for about $90. I got the Thunderbird switch on ebay some time ago. The Lincoln switch (used) came from the Lincoln parts store in Ocala, Florida for about the same price. I had his card for a while but it seems to have escaped. However, I think he still advertises in the LZOC website in the parts vendors section.

The diameter of the stud on the Lincoln switch is identical to the original early switch and I think that the T-Bird switch would work too.

I just found the photo of the Lincoln turn signal switch with its original box and part number: FDL-14486-A. I'll post the photo here.

post-32768-143138034928_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143138034931_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143138035101_thumb.jpg

Phil,

Thank you for taking the time to post. As you know, I have a '41 3 window coupe. The turn signals work pretty good now. but I was going to add brake lights to the rear turn signal pods. I will look up your original post and get more info.

Keith

Just a thought, you might be able to use a 56-58 Ford Passenger car switch B6AZ-13341-A. Has a 35.25 inch wire cable instead of a 26.50 inch for the T-Bird switch B6SZ-13341-A. Should be able to acquire at a lower cost.

Abe

phil,

just received my B6AZ-13341-A switch in the mail today and noticed there are 6 wire leads on the switch but looking at your schematic there are 7 wire leads.I could account for all the color wires except for the short wire that is spliced into the wire that goes to the stoplight switch.do I just ignore that lead? your input would be appreciated.

mitch

Mitch,

That schematic diagram is out of a 1955 Ford shop manual. the color codes may not necessarily be the same for other years/models.

Only 6 wires are required:

1. Input from brake light switch

2. Power from flasher

3. Left front turn signal

4. Right front turn signal

5. Left rear turn signal

6. Right rear turn signal

The 7th one you mentioned might be just the arrow pointing to the green wire.

I would recommend "breadbording" the circuit and noting which wire performs which function, then assemble the switch in the steering column.