Stutz Registry?

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Our museum has a 1918 Series S Bulldog that we purchased from the J. Parker Wickham Collection (NY). Previous owners include William Dawn (KY) and Milford Barker (FL). My paperwork shows a VIN of S621, although the shipper wrote S3073 on some papers so I need to do a follow-up check.

We also have a 1927 AA Black Hawk boattail speedster that we purchased from Bob Sullivan (WA). The motor number is 84588X--we haven't found a chassis number yet.

My concern is that these cars are dated correctly so that the signs I'm writing for the museum are accurate. We will probably join the Stutz Club soon. If anyone would like to contact me directly about either car, my address is projects@fdifairbanks.com.

Nancy

On your S series car, Stutz could be inconsistent with locations of the car number but the places to look are: front axle frequently on pad beside the leaf spring, round center frame crossmember, dash plate, and transmission case. One of your numbers may be the engine number, these seem to have been done when the engine was assembled and are not the same as the car number.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

I just checked and it's the dash plate that says S3073 and the engine # is S621, so that's settled. Thanks for the pointers!

Nancy

• 3 months later...
Guest Admirer4Stutz

try the right front of frame head next to where radiator mounts and in back left on frame about where the front shakle is.