your opinion on this

Guest ricko1

Guest rickomo1

on ebay there is this 1947 60s cadillac up for sale.

i want to know what you think, is the first car off the production line increase the value when it comes to resale or just for investment purposes. Note the picture of the body tag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170293983185&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

post-53945-143138034688_thumb.jpg

post-53945-143138034689_thumb.jpg

post-53945-14313803469_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> for investment purposes.</div></div>

If you can find someone that it matters to, #1 may be worth a few bucks. As far as investments, the best way to make a small fortune in the old car hobby is to start with a large one........Bob

Guest whotmewory

Rickomo...I think it's a fake tag. Look at those numbers...all whonky and misaligned. They were done with dies on a machine I THINK. I'm guessing because the numbers have usually been very trim and aligned. I've seen other "early off the line" car tags and seems they still used a few zeros first before getting to the 13 or 142 or whatever number. I.e. 000123, 000002, etc.

I am not informed about GM tags, but I know that all of the Chrysler Corporation body tags have all of the numbers and letters aligned and certainly not "over stamped" on the letters by the numbers. As far as I know, the early numbers on Chrysler products have the zeros in front of the numbers, too. I agree with wotmeworry.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K8096</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ad claims they spent 40K on it already. That's more than a perfect 100 point 1947 Cadillac Sixty Special is worth. You're better off finding a decent original one. They're out there - 1947 Cadillac's are not rare. </div></div>

I would have expected more for $40K.

Guest rickomo1

To be clear i was not looking to buy,just questioning a number one tag but if i paid myself on paper for the hours i worked on my cars i would still wounder where 40 k went, i think the frame should be crome!!!

Comparing to the Fisher Body tags I have seen I would give them the benefit of the doubt that this tag is original and correct, the #1 in this case would not have been preceeded by any zeros (this is not a VIN tag, it is a body tag). But in this case it would not really add value over another Cadillac produced later in the year, except as a mild curiosity. Even so, for $40,000? No thanks! Todd

It is a different deal on that, as that was the first of the entire Thunderbird line and not just the first of a random model year. Plus, that car was famous in old car circles, known and visible to the hobby for 40 years. Steep price on it? Yup, but I am not the one explain the logic of bids at those auctions, that's for sure.