Sign in to follow this  
windjamer

Fess up.

Ok, I got ya all beat! Sure I street raced in the sixties, exceeded so many posted speed limits I should still be in prison, drove a car with a cell phone and hamburger at the same time.

BUT, without any shaddow of a doubt the most wreckless, most crazy and wild thing I have ever done with....keep this under you hat....I defied the Derry Township Fire Police and exited out an entrance of the Hershey Swap Meet back in 1979. THAT takes guts!!!!

Bob

I got home from Korea in 1961. Saturday morning a sit on the back porch with my older brouther having a morning coffee and looking at a pretty 40 something olds.Bob I said what are you gonna do with that coupe? Well he ans. thought I would give it to Addaline (his wife)or make a stock car of it.I told him Bob, Addaline cant chew bubble gum and walk stright,what the he** makes you think she can learn to drive??The tool box was on the porch and I reached down and picked up a ball pean hammer. I walked out to the Olds walked awrond it twice and smakwed the windsheld. Looks like a stock car to me I said. Like I said it was saturday morning, we had that puppy on the track sat. night. I quilfied it in the heat Bob won the main. Addaline passed away about five years ago, my favorett sister/in/law but she never did learn to drive.

In 1969 a friend of mine worked for a local drive-in theater. His Boss owned several theaters in the area and would have my friend run supplies between them. He would use his bosses 1958 Plymouth station wagon. I think the car had a 318 and one night he asked me to ride along. He wanted to see what the Plymouth would do on the Interstate. I don't remember the speed we got up to, but I'm sure it was over 100 MPH. We made it back OK, but the next day the car frame broke due to severe rust.

Five years ago while my oldest son was stationed in Korea, I had his 1970 Charger 500 here at the house. Some kid in a new Mustang pulled up along side and started baiting me at a traffic light. The Charger had recently been restored and the 383 was making 425 hp. I set the line lock and smoked that Mustang out....he never left the traffic light. What a great feeling!

Stories are meant to entertain, inform, and to share knowledge and experiences. So, this story begins with the order of a brand new loaded ’73 Pinto Runabout (approx. $2,300), but due to the gas crisis there was a run on them ad a wait for 3 months. I was working as an inspector at Chrysler Lynch Road assembly at the time making the ’73 Chargers and Coronets. The car that I was currently driving back and forth to work, a ’62 Ford Fairlane with a 6 cylinder and a 3-Speed on the column with no floor on the driver side just a piece of plywood and a floor mat, was almost out of life. One day driving home though the neighborhood streets I caught sight of a car in a yard behind the bushes in the corner of my eye. I stopped and went back to the house and up to the door, I knocked and asked if the car was for sale and the older couple said that it belonged to their son who was just of in the army and would be off shortly to Vietnam but thought it might be for sale. I asked if I could look at it and they said yes. After having a look I saw that it was a low mile ’69 Dodge Super Bee, 383 4-Spd., a very clean car. I went back to the door and after talking with the father he said that his son calls every other night and that he would ask if he might sell the car and if so for what price. I checked back a coupe of days later and learned that he would sell the car for $900. I took the Super Bee and cancelled the order on the Pinto; the salesman even gave me my deposit back saying that he would have no trouble selling the car as I ordered it.

Now we could get into a discussion on why I would purchase a Dodge Super Bee when the gas crisis was getting well under way but we’ll just accept the logic the way it worked itself out, won’t we? It was a nice car and was actually my second muscle car. The thing was that after driving the car a bit I noticed that it would load up with carbon and when an opportunity presented itself I would clear the carbon out to improve the performance and return the smooth operation.

One evening I was returning home with a friend and the car was stumbling a bit at a stoplight just at an entrance to the freeway. Well the light turned green and I decided that I was going to run through the gears and clear out the build up yet again. There are those out there that would believe that a 383 would have so-so performance, this was not the average 383 and won its fair share of races. I was pushing about 130 and back down to about 90 and then noticed in my mirror a set of fog lights appear over a hill a ways back and thought to my self that I was not going to let this car catch up and took off again. I noticed that the car was making up some of the distance and decided to drop my speed back down again for what ever reason. Another mile or so and I noticed that the car was a State Police Car and I dropped down to about 70 and when the State Police Car was about 10 – 20 lengths behind me turned his lights on. I did pull over and offered up a long story about the car being new to me, the carbon build up and the first time the friend was in the car. Thankfully radar was not widely in use, but the officer told me that he knew that something was up when he observed me going the opposite direction and first the smoke from the tires and then the carbon from the exhaust and although he could not officially time me he guessed that I was going well over 100 based on the amount of time that it had taken him to catch me. It was a different time back then and I ended up with scolding and a 15 over ticket. This is really one of the more tame stories. I did grow up and did become responsible and have not had a ticket in the last 25 years or more. I would in the end though rather recall the stories where; I rebuilt an engine or started my first vintage car engine for the first time, the first time that I learned of the downside of the front opening vintage windshields and bees. After a lot of years there without question are a lot of stories in most all of us. Now to get back to the here and now…

I spent my youth between Binghamton NY, and Brandt PA ,a small village, population in the mid 40s about 50 not counting cats dogs and chickens. Population today about the same.

My grandmother owned a big old house there built some time in the 1800s. It had no runing water,but did have a two hole out house out back. I dont remember the whole story, but I do remember droping a large yeast cake down one hole. We wont talk about that. There was a famly in the village named Brown.

They had a young man (SON) named Fenton. Today you might call him slow, back then we called him touched,amoung outher names. One day Fenton pulled in the back yard with a real nice model a Ford,got out and sat on the porch with my uncle. Nothing was said for a few moments then Fenton ask my uncle,How ya like me car Pete? Uncle Pete didnt ans. for a moment,just looked at the car and after what seemed like a lifetime said nice car Fenton,be a lot nicer if it was a convertable. After a moment or so Fenton declared he could make it a convertable and my uncle said no you cant and the fight was on. Yes I can no you cant. This went on for a short while then Fenton said, I could take that there ax and chop that top off in no time. My uncle said Fenton, Ill bet you two dollers you cant chop that top off in less than a hr. Well, long story short Fenton got a convertable and uncle lost the bet.

In 1965 Coming back from a party when I was stationed in Kansas, I was in a 1964 Austin Healey Sprite and a friend in a Spitfire, we were travelling down a road we had never been on before at night and in heavy fog as fast as those cars would go. The center line stripe was our only clue as to where the road was. Too long on beer and too short on sense back then.

Actually I did this with the kids in the car.....my daughter's elementary school always blocked off the church/school parking lot with cones so that they could play there and then be picked up by waiting parents in neat and orderly lines. They also blocked access to park in the rear lot which was about the only other place to park besides the lines of parents.

Yes, you guessed it. After being accosted by the empresses of the parking lot about where you can and can't park, I would run down the cones to get out of the lot if blocked in. Yep, those cones would get dragged a bit before they popped out from under my Ford station wagon. The next day you would see the undercoating marks on the cones I hit. Also, we enjoyed serpentining through the cones on Sunday nights when the "empresses" weren't yet around. My only rebellion against chicken-stuff rules in an otherwise law-abiding life! I am so ashamed! (Not!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did you do that was just a little crazy?</div></div> Not a thing. My dad instilled to much fear in me where I was a good boy.

Ex98, I cant hardly believe that. I once had a 2ndLT. spend all morning looking for the key to the hydthestatic lock on my APC. Come on now fess up.

Dick, How do you expect to get a cop to confess. We know that we have a right to remain silent... and usually do when it comes to confessing. grin.gif

MCHinson.....thank the powers that be for the statute of limitations on some things!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not a thing. My dad instilled to much fear in me where I was a good boy. </div></div>

Yeah, kind of like Bill's half sister always raved about what a good boy he was. But then she was sixteen years old by the time he came along and was out of the house less than two years later. Her version of him sure doesn't match the stories he tells on himself. blush.gifwhistle.gifcool.gif

Matt, I have a stepson thats a LT. with the state and a grandson that just graduated the police accad. Thank God for that right and the 5th.

It was late summer 1984. I had just gotten the 4-4-2 back on the road after a 7 year hibernation. The wife and I took another couple with us to a local car show in Terre Haute IN. While there I ran into a fellow I knew from back in the day, with his '71 4-4-2. As usual his mouth was running a mile a minute about how he had beaten my Olds back then. I didn't say a lot at the time, but managed to get my revenge later.

On our way home another friend was following me in his 66 Mustang. The plan was to head north a few miles and hit a favorite pizza place. Well, we did, but not before some revenge was extracted.

We came up to the next to the last stoplight in town. I am in the far right lane, and lo and behold, in the far left was my old nemesis in his 4-4-2. Between us was some kid in a rusty Camaro that was running on 7 cylinders. We paid no attention to him, but did look at each other and nod. The light went green and the race was on. The other 4-4-2 was an automatic and he got out on me. As soon as I got the tires to hook, I was gaining ground. I caught up in 3rd, hit 4th and walked on by. My car had four of us in it, while the other Olds had only the driver. Yeah, I had bragging rights now. Luckily the last light was green as we got to it. We were going way too fast in a 40 mph zone, but it had to be done.

And the kid in the Camaro? My buddy in the Mustang reported that the Camaro driver's head about spun off his shoulders as the two Oldsmobiles roared out of sight. He had no clue as to what was about to happen, and got the surpise of his life as we both blasted away from the light.