ZDDP oil additive

Guest tim hayes

You can search for ZDDP or oil and read several discussions on this site.

I am not an expert, but in 1928 and in 1932, they did not have ZDDP in the oil. My best understanding is that this is more of a concern for those who have later cars than you and I have.

My Pontiac has 490,000 miles on it. Of these 320,000 were after an engine overhaul. The vehicle has been used daily since 1959. I use single weight oil (20 wt now)and change the oil every three thousand miles (3 months). Since the overhaul I have never had to add oil between changes and I have never used an additive of any kind. The car came with a partial flow oil filter but because they are very expensive and very scarce I have not installed one since I overhauled the engine. One third of my mileage is in town and the rest is at highway speeds 50-60 mph with short bursts to 65. I believe if you use good high detergent oil and change it regualarly you do not need any additives.

Some of the later information that I have heard on the subject concerning this additive is that it is needed primarily in high-performance applications with flat tappet, high lift camshafts and heavy valve spring pressures. There seems to be some logic to this claim, if that would mean anything.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can search for ZDDP or oil and read several discussions on this site.

I am not an expert, but in 1928 and in 1932, they did not have ZDDP in the oil. My best understanding is that this is more of a concern for those who have later cars than you and I have. </div></div>

You are correct.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the later information that I have heard on the subject concerning this additive is that it is needed primarily in high-performance applications with flat tappet, high lift camshafts and heavy valve spring pressures. There seems to be some logic to this claim, if that would mean anything. </div></div>

Exactly.

Guest ZondaC12

Yeah I really more and more feel like a lot of these things like the zinc, leaded gas etc seem to apply to the musclecar era...ish. As said, higher performance engines.

Guest Bluesky636

However, you should use a good cam break in lube with ZDDP when the engine is first started no matter what the year of the engine. Anything you can do to prevent killing a cam is good. ALso, you certainly won't hurt anything by using an oil with high ZDDP in an old engine that never saw it before. The purpose of the ZDDP is to increase the anti-wear properties of the oil and that is always a good thing.

Here is a good site for pre-muscle cars:

http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/index.html

• 2 weeks later...