shift lever hard to move

rofly1

Since it is cable operated, the shifting of the transmission, I would think that there could easily be binding in the cable or even in the shift shaft where it passes into the transmission case. You can easily get moisture up into the case which freezes under 32 degrees. Try spraying penetrating oil into the area where the shifter shaft enters the transmission case.

• 2 weeks later...

The garage where I had the car recommended to take it to a transmission shop. The people at the transmission shop removed the cable from the transmission and it is still not shifting. I asked him about Hemi's recommending to remove the valve body and clean it out and applying grease to the shift shaft and he said the cable is completely removed from the transmission and still hard to shift. He believes it is the cable. Can I get a replacement? Thanks Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Problems solved. The shift cable was bent. I also believe that my starting problems have been solved. This morning was one of the coldest so far this year and the car started right up. I think the cable was not in park all the way not allowing the car to start. I got the new cable from tcparts.

I still cant wait for warm weather Roger

That's the biggest problem in trying to give advise, not being able to see the car or work with the problem.

As for warmer weather, I guess you will just have to wait.

That is certainly one big advantage of living in Arizona and working in California. One hardly ever has inclement weather and cruising in a TC over the road is always a pleasure. Looking forward to it again next week.

• 12 years later...
2 hours ago, 75GL1000 said:

Trying to get the cable out of my 90 3.0 with A406 transmission.  Any suggestions?

Are you aware that the cable passes through the floorboard way up under the instrument panes and passes through a boot that is attached to the floorboard rather tightly to prevent water to enter the interior? 
The carpeting is split down the middle forward of the shifter mounting and held together by a long strip of Velcro. Once you have the carpeting split apart in a similar way as a heart surgeon performing heart surgery, you will be able to access the cable and boot.

Not knowing if you are already at this point makes it virtually impossible to advise further.

A photo of your progress would be helpful.

1 hour ago, Hemi Dude said:

Are you aware that the cable passes through the floorboard way up under the instrument panes and passes through a boot that is attached to the floorboard rather tightly to prevent water to enter the interior? 
The carpeting is split down the middle forward of the shifter mounting and held together by a long strip of Velcro. Once you have the carpeting split apart in a similar way as a heart surgeon performing heart surgery, you will be able to access the cable and boot.

Not knowing if you are already at this point makes it virtually impossible to advise further.

A photo of your progress would be helpful.

I fount the plug in the firewall and got it pulled out after a little battle with it.  Was beginning to think it went all the way to the trunk!  The cable is  catching on the floorboard somewhere when I tried to pull it out to the engine side.  Guess i need to pull more of the lower console out.  Thanks for the help.

IMG_0427.JPEG

IMG_0428.JPEG

IMG_0430.JPEG

Have you not tied a cord to the upper end of the shift cable so that you can ‘fish’ it back up? Pushing any cable up through invisible passages will turn out troublesome to say the least.

The cord could also be helpful in the removal process.

4 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

Have you not tied a cord to the upper end of the shift cable so that you can ‘fish’ it back up? Pushing any cable up through invisible passages will turn out troublesome to say the least.

The cord could also be helpful in the removal process.

Just now, 75GL1000 said:

Opps, got it our before I saw your message.  maybe best to start with a electrical snake and get a cord through.  Some how I have four 8-1.25 x 43 bolts left from somewhere, they have both flat and lock washers on them.  Got any idea where they may belong.  All the water pump bolts are in.  

"Somehow I have four 8-1.25 x 43 bolts left from somewhere, they have both flat and lock washers on them.  Got any idea where they may belong.  All the water pump bolts are in."

Your request for help is riding on another person's question from 2009 [rofly1] 12 years later...

The situation with the shift cable replacement is similar, BUT what is this about your water pump replacement?

Why don't you include a photo of those 4 bolts, washers and lock washers. There must be something that was not fully or properly attached, such as the black plastic covers over the timing belt and water pump.

We try to help people here with their TCs, but how about "playing fair" with us, we are trying to help you. Help us by starting a whole new topic and giving us sufficient information.

When I had my shop, I use to interrogate my customers about their cars problem before beginning a repair. Even then, their willingness sometimes fell short and a much more serious problem was discovered.

It is similar to a criminal attempting not being found guilty of a crime by withholding information. How can you expect reliable assistance if you don't volunteer the information necessary to solve your problem. If you don't wish to reveal everything publicly, you can send your question in a PM. (private message)  Frankly, I think my answer to those 4 bolts location is exactly what I stated above.

• Like 1