The Reatta by any other name???

TheBlackMoon

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else see the Reatta lines in this 2009 Wildcat? I mean, seriously? Is it as obvious to anyone else as it is to me that this is the 2009 Reatta Wildcat?

I mean, the rear window shell is obviously taken from a corvette, but the rest... especially the tail!?!

http://www.autospies.com/news/First-photo-of-the-2009-Buick-Wildcat-Gran-Sport-6661/

Guest Reatta1

If you've seen any of my posts, you have been seeing that car for nearly a year already. It's my avatar. If they actualy build it, and I could scrape up the pennies, I would buy it. The similarities I see in it are to the early 70's boattail Riviera. That back glass looks like it came right off one. I like the open version better than the coupe model. You would have to enlarge my avatar photo to see it. It is in the background. Or send me you e-address and I'll send you the original picture.

Definately '73 Riv back end and that one is a 4-seater (see the headrests). Never have liked the portlets even on the '53 we had. Blunt nose looks a lot like a Chrysler 300 and a Buick needs a full width taillight/chmsl. Unlikely that the coupe has enough headroom for a real rear seat.

Is RWD so I would really like to see the rear seat specs. Front view can be seen here. and looks like one of the Nakasumi Bueno Naco toys from "So the Drama" crossed with a Lincoln and with Caddy "meet FMVSS 108" headlights.

Incitdently the text talks of "T-Tops" but the picture does not show the middle bar. A full removable panel would be nice but the question is "where do you store it ?"

Being of the "form follows function" school rather than the "grab parts and mash together" common today, I really do not care for the front end. I like the "Buick interpretation of an Avanti" of the Reatta better but understand that flip up headlights are Right Out..

Guest Reatta1

When I first came across that Wildcat photo it was in relation to the Chinese auto show and the two door version was to be a 2009 production model in China. Unresolved, was whether it would acctualy make it to the States as an available production model. If the front end carried the 2010 nose of the four door, I think it would detract from it's appeal. The grille especialy does not go with the rest of the design.

One thing that does not compute is the modern day 3 portholes does not match the V8 engine. The V8 should have 4. Padgett's link to the front end picture is of a 4 door car, so maybe it is not the front end of this fastback car. It is a nice looking car, but at 58 to 62 thousand per copy it would be D.O.A. before it ever hit the showrooms. Buick needs some halo cars on the street A.S.A.P.

Guest Bill_Boro

Does anyone know if any post WWII cars had functioning port holes? e.g. to vent heat from engine compartment. I know that on some much older racing cars exhaust ports were used.

If functional now would probably carry hot air into open window.

Exhaust ports in the 30's usually indicated a supercharged engine (e.g. Duesy SJ) but included chrone side pipes. Some aircraft had just stubs during WWII (e.g. P-51/Merlin) and I suspect that was the styling cue.

Ventslots in the lower fender (e.g. 63 Corvette Grand Sport, A.C. Cobra) were common in race cars but were often more for brake cooling than engine ventilation, raising the rear of the hood a few inches had a much greater cooling effect for the engine.

Went to the local buick shop today to ask about the availability of the "new 2 seater" was greeted with blank stares..Was told that no one has heard of the car ,but that even the Lucerne 2009 model was being put off till 2010, which means that only the La Cross and Enclave will carry the buick name this year, Have an Enclave, parked next to the 91 Reatta, but would order the the new two seater in a heartbeat if were to be available. portholes? If I remember right the number of portholes on buicks matched the level of the model not engine size, Roadmaster=4 holer, Century/supermixed ,Special ,3 holer,and all had straight eights prior to 1953. Hank