1950 Buick 4 door Sedan Model 72

Guest starkoel19

Guest starkoel19

Hi

I own a 1950 Buick 4 door Sedan Model 72. I bought the car in March 2008 from the US and have it imported to Switzerland (Europe). The car has a two tone paint. Roof is in an different color then the body. The car was re-painted a few years ago but I am really not sure if the car was re-painted as original. Does anybody know where the line is, that split the two colors? Are the door post in the body color or in the roof color painted? Has the rain rail the same color as the roof or the body? I did'nt found any helpful pictures on the web. So, every help would be very appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Starkoel:

Under the hood of your Buick, you will find a body data plate with a line that says "Paint Code". If you post that here, I can tell you what color(s) the car as originally. If you post "Trim code", I can tell you what the upholstery was originally. Also, if you post the frame number and the engine number, I can tell you when and where the car was built and if it has the original engine in it.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest starkoel19

Hi Dave

Thank you very much for your reply!

I have found out the following:

Model: 50-70

Style No: 50-4719

Body No: G10517

Trim No: 78

Paint No: 21 AC

VIN: 15700917

Engine No: 59064837

It would be great to have as much information as possible

;-)

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Have a great day!

Bernard

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Bernard:

Here's some information about your car:

It's a 1950 Model 72R, of which Buickbuilt 53,961 fo USA use and 251 for export. Yours is a USA car.

It appears all numbers match. The car was built in Flint early in June 1950, with the engine assembled the last week in May. The 1 at the start of the frame number tells us it's a Flint car and the 7 at the end of the engine number tells us it's an engine for a 70 series Roadmaster.

The trim code of 78 is for a car with a gray interior, with 2 kinds of gray cloth being used. The materials are described as "Grey Pattern Novelty Broadcloth with plain gray broadcloth".

The paint code of 21 is for a car painted "Verde Green".

To sum up, a very pretty car in a quiet way, and all numbers match as originally built. A great find and one you can be proud of.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave,

I for one and I know everybody on this forum appreciates the information that you have collected over the years. It is very commendable that you share your information with anyone that request help.

Dave, congratulations and may you live 100 years + one.

stevo

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stevo:

Thanks for the kind words which are payment enough.

Actually, my plan is to try to outlive my ancestor Mathias Grisso, who was born in 1748 in Switzerland and died in 1855 in Ohio, 46 days short of 107. If I make it to that, I'll have been a BCA member for about 75 years!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stevo:

At 107, no matter what my condition, I'll probably be being driven. If I have to go, I nominate my friend Ed Logan here in our chapter as driver. His 1950 Roadmaster Flxble hearse conversion is definitely big enough.

For Starkoel: the hearse is like your car, but 38 inches (1 Meter) longer and about 6 inches (15 cm) higher! "Huge" doesn't do it justice. It should be out of the upholstery shop this week, restoration completed.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Just a little bit of the history of Ed Logan's '50 Buick combination ambulance/hearse. I bought the car from a fellow by Mountain Grove, Ark. several years ago. I believe it was the heaviest vehicle I have ever hauled, and believe me, there are some hills down in that part of the country. The wheelbase is 168 inches, that's 14 feet. The motor ran like a new sewing machine, and it had no brakes, so, loading it was a lot of fun. Anyway, I decided that I didn't have the time to restore it, so, I sold it to Ed, who hauled it to Texas, and, if I remember correctly, pulling it on the trailer down the highway took its toll on the tow vehicle, the transmission went out. Just a bit of history on the vehicle that Dave wants his final ride in. Thanks, Paul

Guest starkoel19

Hi David

Thank you very much for all this very valuable information!

Do you know the line were the two colors are separated (Niagara Green = Body and Verde Green = roof)? Know the drip rail is colored like the body (Niagara Green). I think it should be in Verde green like the roof already is. What do you think?

Do you have some pics of the hearse? I would be very intrested to see a 50 Buick that is 1 Meter longer then mine ;-)).

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Bernard

Guest DaveCorbin

Hey Guys: !!!!

Can somebody answer Starkoel's question on where the color splits? I'll admit not knowing that one!!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest starkoel19

Hi Dave

I am sanding the car and found out where the color splits as I saw the original color. The color splits directly under the rain rail. The rain rail has the same color as the roof. With the door chrome moldings it would cover the line perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it!!!

Take care,

Bernard

I may have some information the could be of use to you regarding colours etc. Look at my website http://www.buicknet.com On the site you can see manuals I have for the 1950 here I can look up information for you. There is also information about colour combinations and photos of cars in the dealers album.

I also have had the cloth for the seats reproduced here in Australia and have spare I would like to sell.

MICHAEL MONAGHAN PERTH AUSTRALIA

• 3 weeks later...
Guest starkoel19

Hi Michael

Sorry for the late reply...

Thank you very much for this very interesting information on your website! Its a great website with very helpful information. I like most the "accessoir" site.

It would be great to have some detailed pics of the interior from the dealer book. May you find some minutes to take the pics;-).

I have also a web site shared with some friends. If you like you can visit it on www.the-elks.ch. Its in german only, but the pics shows for itself ;-)

Thanks again,

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

Bernard,

first off, welcome aboard. Hope you'll stop by often and join in the comrodery of this group. I checked out your web site. cool.gif Looks like "The Elks" have a lot of fun with all the nice American cars. Be sure and tell Marla about us and the "Girls on Buicks" special thread. click here

Oh yea, love those 50's. We have the same birthday... wink.gif

Guest starkoel19

Hi MM

Thats great that you will scann the pics of your interior and will post on your web-site. I will visit your web-site frequently to take a look on the pics.

Many thanks for your efforts!!!!

Bernard