Poor GM quality

Reatta1

That was the model "T" ( 1908-1927) during the height of production. The A was always offered in different colors including black. T's were offered in several different colors in the early years, and also, I think in the last year or two of production. All the others were Black because it was the quickest drying paint at avalible at the time. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

there are available paints like Xyrillics and Prismatics that have fantastic effects. Some are in production or about to be. The interior supplier scan do all sorts of colors and textures. So the limit is what the OEM asks for and will pay for. In many cases the cost to supply is small - some OEM's have a lot of difficulty handling the manufacture of more variations. In my opinion that's where the limitation is.

Hmmm lets run down my list of cars

2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx (ugliest damn car Ive ever owned)Gold outside , tan interior

2002 Chevy Impala Silver outside grey interior

1993 Chevy pickup teal green , tan interior.

1977 Buick Electra Limited Light blue , light blue interior, dark blue dash

1973 Pontiac Grandville convertible Kelly Green white interior, black carpet and dash

1967 Skylark Two tone cry.gif!!!!! turqouise exterior, white painted roof, two tone blue interior

I had to go back to 1977 to find a vehicle that I own that didnt have a tan or grey interior......1977

I had to go back to 67 to find a two tone car, unless you count the white convertible roof on my grandville as a two tone

No wonder I like older cars

Hmmmmm, lets see here. My list.

2001 Park Avenue ----- Gold exterior, Tan leather interior

1993 Regal coupe ----- Grey exterior, Grey cloth interior

1989 Silverado ----- Burgundy and Silver two tone exterior,

Burgundy cloth interior

1988 Reatta -------- Black exterior, Tan leather interior

1966 LeSabre convertible -- Green exterior, Black

upholstery/green carpet

interior

That makes one newer two tone exterior and one older two tone interior. Go figure.

The funny thing is, making an interesting interior isn't that hard!

I bought a loaded-up Chevy S-10 in 2000. Great truck; ugly, ugly interior! You guessed it; putty gray.

I had an upholstery shop add burgundy fabric inserts to the seats that matched the burgundy red paint. So instead of the dull gray cloth seats, I had custom two-tone seats. Cost: about $100. Ordered burgundy carpet to match the paint and new fabric inserts; cost: $129. I also added a new Webatso power sunroof (slider type) since it was an extended cab. Took me and my son a weekend to cut the hole and install it. Cost new off of ebay: about $150. I got a power seat frame for the driver's side out of a junkyard. Cost: $75 and one afternoon to install it and wire it to the fuse panel (there was already a space for a power seat fuse; they used it on the Bravada and Jimmy/Blazer, but not on the S-10). Added decent speakers to the back panels; cost, less than $100.

In a few weeks I had a custom interior and added options that should have been available on the truck from the factory. When I sold it several years later, the buyer wanted it BECAUSE HE HAD NEVER SEEN AN INTERIOR LIKE THAT!

I think for a while the car companies were just lazy when designing interiors, but with the addition of wood accents, two-tones, chrome trim and interesting gauges, they may be waking up. Sure hope so.

Joe

I had a 1994 S-10 that I ordered new and it was a non-metallic tan and black 2 tone with the gradient tape separating the colors. It had a pretty tan interior and was a sharp looking truck. I had it 10 years and then purchased a low mileage 2001 S-10, dark blue with the ugly gray interior. It is, to me, nothing more than a transportation appliance. What happened to all of the pretty color combinations? With the boring colors and styling of the new cars, I have no interest in buying new again.

Fortunately, the 2008/2009 Malibu seems to be breaking the mold of the ugly gray rental-car interior, but you have to get the upper-level trim:

http://www.chevrolet.com/2009malibu/photogallery/

The blending of wood, chrome and two-tone leather is great. Unfortunately, you MUST get the upper level model, or you get...tada....putty gray plastic everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand corrected Dave. My mind was more on the slogan than the model. </div></div>

Being you are a BUICK MAN, and not a ffaa....faa..fo...ford man, you are forgiven for not knowing this piece of automotive history. wink.gif

You are hearby sentenced to driving your favorite Buick around the block 5 times when the weather is permissable while repeating. The "T" was Henrys baby, while Edsel pushed for the "A". grin.gif Dandy Dave!

Sintid58,

YOU, sir, have one of the FEW exceptions to the rule; the Buick Lesabre Celebration edition!

Made in Crimson Red Pearl or White Opal (pearl white), that was one of the best-looking cars Buick has made in a few years. Thanks for reminding me about that beautiful Lesabre.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that this thread turned into an interior/exterior decorator's discussion rather than GM reliability discussion.

Had a discussion with my ice fishing buddy while sitting on upsidedown 5 gal. pails and waiting for the northerns to bite. He said that his son-in-law's neighbor found it was cheaper to buy the son-in-law a $3,000+ garage hoist as payment for replacing the headgaskets on her 1998( believe that was the year) Cadillac's Northstar V8 than to take it to a shop.

He also said that the "book" on doing this job states that the replacement can only be done once. When his son-in-law got the engine out of the car, that's why the hoist was needed, he believed that the gaskets probably had already been replaced because many of the clips on the engine holding the wire looms were broken.

Is this engine one of GM's masterpieces that should be avoided?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unclefogey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a discussion with my ice fishing buddy while sitting on upsidedown 5 gal. pails and waiting for the northerns to bite. </div></div>

A man after my heart...hope the pike were good to you. I haven't been out this winter cry.gif I might get out for perch on Monday though.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Buick-ing.

Derek,

I haven't been on the website for quite a period of time, a little like your vacation from ice fishing, but I see your list of Buicks has grown.

On that trip, I caught one that went nose to the top of my belt with tail touching the ice, which turned out to be 42", not big for your area, but for a little lake on the outskirts of the Twin Cities, is not bad. Got him/her back in the lake as soon as possible.

John

Ouch, it appears that my friend's son-in-law didn't exercise due diligence prior to taking on this job. Appears that his feeling sorry for his neighbor's plight might get him into trouble.

He probably should have said that he realized that the car's putty grey interior and all its accessories are in good shape, its body painted in a color chosen from last year's women's wearing apparel trunk show is in good shape, but its engine is worth the equivalant of a garbage bag full of crushed Bud Light cans. It was time to cut her losses and to move on.

It might be a good idea before a backyard mechanic takes on an engine job, is to first check if a short or long block is available from the likes of Schucks, Checker, or Pep Boys.