2010 LaCrosse

BUICK RACER

This is a copy of the post I put on the "Today Show" thread.

What I do not understand is why do they need to put those 18" tires on cars. Around here you bang up your rims with the regular sized tires that give you some protection when hitting a pot hole the size of Texas. Are they trying to make all of the cars look like a certain drug induced, rap music, low rider type of car?

Also, bring back white wall tires and chrome. This one has a little chrome but could use a whole lot more to accentuate the sweep spear, etc.

Just my thoughts.

stevo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I do not understand is why do they need to put those 18" tires on cars. Around here you bang up your rims with the regular sized tires that give you some protection when hitting a pot hole the size of Texas. Are they trying to make all of the cars look like a certain drug induced, rap music, low rider type of car?</div></div>For the same reason that prolly every show car for the past, I dunno 40 years has giant wheelwell-filling rims, it simply looks good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, bring back white wall tires and chrome. This one has a little chrome but could use a whole lot more to accentuate the sweep spear, etc.</div></div> I suppose E&G or one of those companies will do just that, along with a nifty carriage top and Vogue tyres for those who desire such things.... Personally, I think the car is beautiful "as-is", but vive la difference! grin.gif

Rog,

I am not talking about aftermarket stuff for the chrome and white walls. The designers could put that on a car and it would look great, not like an add on. It is like when someone is putting an addition on their house and it does not jive with the original design and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Looking good for car shows and being absolutely functional are two different things. Being from NY, you should know about the damage that can be caused when hitting a pot hole. A couple of years ago I hit one on the thruway and it cost me about $800 since the great state said they were not responsible for their roads. I bent the rim along the beadline and had to get a new one plus an alignment.

".....but vive la difference!"

stevo

Guest my3buicks

I think the amount of chrome on the car is just about right. Whitewalls would look rediculous on a car like this. If they chrome it up, throw whitewalls on it, then we would be back to a blue haired Buick, exactly the image Buick is trying to dump.

This ones styling will appeal to the younger crowd that buy the Lexus Sedans, it was said a few years ago that Buick had Lexus in their crosshairs - I think with this one, the aim is dead on.

I was going over my presentation of the GM Heritage collection this morning and noted the Invicta concept.

It is nice to see they've taken a number of concept design features and incorporated them into the LaCrosse (and presumably Allure).

Sweepspear:

InvictaConcept181.jpg

Ventiports in hood:

InvictaConcept183.jpg

I see what Stevo means about the short back end...the trunk lid is small, but the trunk itself extends to the rear seat, so it holds a lot (based on 2008 Allure).

In person, the Invicta made me consider a four door sedan...they are practical, but this one is pretty darn nice too. I don't understand why they can't seem to get the fuel economy better though...with that GM would be able to show everyone they are serious - making cars that are quiet, reliable, dependable, attractive (granted not necessarily to everyone's eyes), and fuel efficient would go a long way. If this is really considered a mid-size, then it has to do better for fuel.

Seems that everyone even old car guys still like this stuff. I guess I'm a little bit alone. Good thing there's old stuff...I am SO sick of current auto styling. First the imports all look the same, now our own are doing it too. I think what I hate the most is that d$#n last rear side window. Every. Single. Sedan. Everyone has that. I HATE it with a passion. To the best of my memory the *first* car, that should claim rights to it, is the infiniti g35 sedan. I swear that's the first time I saw it, and when I next saw it on a volkswagen or something I rolled my eyes and prayed MAYBE I wouldnt see it again. That's just one of many issues I have, it just happens to "send me over the edge"

Anyone ever do woodwork? Sanding? Ya know those sanding blocks? Rubber thing that's a semi-circle shape? That's what I see when I look at current 4 door sedans. 1980s was a "box on wheels" right? Well the early 21st century is a semicircle on wheels. frown.gif

I dont mean to be a spoil-sport but Im just getting REALLY bored here. The imports are the worst offenders. I see a ford fusion? What a breath of fresh air. Chevy malibu? Ehhhh still many elements Im bothered by but overall they stand out kinda. Good old chevy grille up front.

Oh well. If that's what people are attracted to these days, whatever. Theyre them and Im me and I got my old worthless stuff and I think its waaaaay better laugh.gif

OK People,

I was just trying to start something with the white walls but I think some more chrome accents would do well. Look at the difference between the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky, the Saturn has a little more chrome that sets it off and makes it look a lot better. (My opinion.)

I know the trunk goes back up to the seats but it looks like my 1989 Cadillac Brougham looked when a semi could not stop on slick pavement and put my back bumper up to the rear windshield. Believe it or not, nobody was hurt...not even the people in front of me that I ended up knocking through the intersection after being pushed into them. (A story for another time).

Hey, most of you know that I like to throw little comments in every once in a while to get a discussion started.

Derek, I also thought the Invicta at Flint was well presented. This new LaCrosse/Allure looks very much like it. GM/Buick might finally be starting to join the 21st century.

I'll lay back for awhile while since I have to go out. I'll check in later to see if everything is going smoothly.

Stevo

Paul,

The little non-functioning vent window on the rear doors are there for a purpose. They are right above the cut out for the wheel well. That design allows a window that functions to be put into the door. If it was not there, the window would not function because there would be no place for it to recede into.

Think about it.

stevo

Drek. Has anyone noticed how much it looks like a Camry? Rearward vision is going to be terrible due to the high back end and the design of the quarters. And why do all GM cars have to hem you in inside with a console that comes up to your shoulders? I took the one out of my Tahoe and sold it on evilbay. baah. I guess I'll start looking again for a nice low-mileage '04 base Regal with a bench seat. I've been a loyal GM fan and customer since before I learned how to drive, but I'm about to blurp them. Luckily, between my age and the number of cars I have right now, I can probably get by without ever needing to buy another one. This car is not gonna save GM.

I am so hyped about this new Buick that if I had the oppertunity to buy a new car, this one would be it. Of course Being a certified Buicknut I will expect this to drive as good as it looks.

The LaCrosse looks like it will fit right in on the road over here on the european side of the big pond, and it still has that american car feeling about it.

Over here we expect american cars to be big and powerful, so they will have to offer a hi-po option like a modern day GNX, and ofcourse for a car this size in europe there has to be a wagon bodystyle in the line up.

Her is my take on the GNX

2010buicklacrossegnxmj6.th.jpg

And here a wagon

buicklacrossewagonla1.th.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Now the Wagon does it for me big time!!!! I just today said I wish they would do it in a wagon - a loaded wagon with AWD, perfect!!

GM does not offer anything in this type of vehicle - thus the reason I didn't replace the Rendezvous with a GM car. I have always liked/preferred station wagons - this is a market that really needs revisited.

I don't know how many people are in my situation where they really need the extra cargo capacity not offered in a car, but really don't need the mass of an SUV. They prefer the driving and handling of a car like vehicle.

Sure there are mini vans (yawn) I for one don't want to look like Mr Soccer Mom, been there done that - that was probably one of my main things about my Rendezvous was that I still felt like I was driving a mini van to some degree.

When you reach a point in life where you want something that has some prestige, performance, and style in that particular market segment, there just isn't much out there.

I don't know how you'd go about getting that draft pic of a wagon to GM top execs BUT I sure wish you could. That is a GREAT IDEA! What's really nice is how you kept the roof line level with the ground instead of the Dodge Magnums where the roof slopes to the ground at the rear.

Maybe it's just me and getting older but I am not really interested in feeling like I'm hemmed into a box, on a voluntary basis.

But really, that drawing/ draft or whatever you call it, is freaking awesome. GOOD JOB!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paul,

The little non-functioning vent window on the rear doors are there for a purpose. They are right above the cut out for the wheel well. That design allows a window that functions to be put into the door. If it was not there, the window would not function because there would be no place for it to recede into.

Think about it.

stevo</div></div>

Yes that makes sense. I can understand that. What I dont like is the exact look of it. wink.gif How it slants backward and then at the last minute swoops right back forward. Again just me. That wagon is kinda sharp!

Thanx for all the positive comments about my "doctored" images.

The wagon rearend crafted to the original LaCrosse pictures are actually from the new (they are not going to like this blush.gif ) Toyota Avensis. The Avensis is an european built salesleader for Toyota, I dont think you have a similar model in the US.

http://www.velocityjournal.com/journal/2009/toyota/20373/index.html

The styling of that wagon tail and sidepanels (level to the ground, big spoiler on top) is how it's supposed to look over here in 2009, the latest rage if you will.

The Buick might be a bit upscale to compete with the Avensis, for the very lucrative companycar/salesmen vehicle, the Avensis and the Ford Mondeo has that market cornered.

I think I know why the Buicks are selling like hot cakes in China, they are being bought by people who likes to be a little different than the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSJOHN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #33CC00"><span style="font-weight: bold">Personally, I prefer the Metallic Pea Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

"If you think you hate it now, wait til you drive it"!! sick.gifTruckster.jpg </span></span> </div></div>

I guess you could argue that this car has a certain attraction. If I had it I would definitely want to mate it with a Mack truck grin.gif