Packards International Membership Meet and Swapmeet

Guest BigKev

Guest BigKev

Well that time has come again. Jan 30th-Feb 1st are the dates for the 2009 PI Membership Meet and Swapmeet at the DoubleTree Hotel in Orange, CA.

The Membership Meet itself is for PI members only (so sign up now! wink.gif ), but the Swapmeet on Sunday is open to the public.

I am planning on attended the entire meet this year, so if you see a mid-30's big guy walking around in a PackardInfo.com T-shirt, then please come up and say hello.

Also here is the link to the information for this years Membership Meet:

http://www.packardsinternational.com/pdf//Membership_Meet_Details.pdf

Thanks,

Guest Trunk Rack

RE : PACKARDS INTERNATIONAL MEET

Need to correct BigKev's error in above post. True, the "indoor" meetings and tech. sessions at PACKARDS INTERNTIONAL events are for members only. And true, there will be a swap meet Sun. Morn Feb. 1.

HOWEVER, the big car show is SATURDAY JAN 31 and the Packards are on display for EVERYONE.

This year PI is celebrating the V-12 series. They may well have more of them gathered in one place at one time than you are likely to see again. Of course all PI members with ANY kind of Packard in ANY kind of condition will want to show off their cars (heck, they even have Packard "customs" & hot-rods on display sometimes !) ( yuch....!)

The Sat. Jan. 31 Packard car show and Sun Feb 1 swap meet will be in the rear parking lot of the DOUBLETREE HOTEL, just off Interstate 5 in Orange, Calif (not the one in Santa Ana !).

If you like to see a bunch of Packards and their owners getting together for fun and the exchange of tall tales, this is the time and place!

NOTE - word to the wise. Funny thing about the DOUBLETREE HOTEL. Its published address is THE CITY DRIVE. That's the name of the off-ramp on the Interstate 5. 'Cept you cant get there that way! The actual hotel entrance is off of CHAPMAN.

So - do come - do get off the I-5 at THE CITY DRIVE. But when you head in a generally west direction on THE CITY DRIVE, turn RIGHT at the light at CHAPMAN, go down to the next block, and THAT is where you can turn in to the DOUBLETREE!

• 2 weeks later...

Petey, thanks for the correction. I was not aware the actual show was open to the public as only the Swapmeet had the Open to the public comment next to it. Great news for folks that might want to stop by and check out the magnificant Packards that will be in the show.

A few pics of some of the "early birds" at the PI Meet are posted on the Pinfo website. More pics to follow tomorrow when all the cars have arrived (or are de-trailered) for the actual Concours.

I have posted pictures of all the Packards that were at the PI Concours today on the website. There are some great cars represented from 1958 to 1926, with the majority of them being 30's-40's. Please feel free to check them out on the website.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Now Online!</span>

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Carl G. Evers Postwar Clipper Concept Sketches</span>

Thanks to John Lawrence for donating these. Here is the desciption and backstory provided by John.

<span style="font-style: italic">"Here are seven illustrations of concept designs for the post-war Packards. They were drawn by Carl G. Evers (1907-2000). Evers is a renowned marine illustrator and artist. He came to the U.S. in 1947 after working as an auto illustrator in Sweden. He created illustrations for Argosy and other magazines in addition to many fine paintings using a nautical theme. You can find some of Evers work on the Internet.

The sketches were concepts for the post-Clipper senior Packards. You can see a Roll Royce and Mercedes Benz influence in some of them. It would have been interesting if these neo-classical designs had been produced, or parts of them incorporated into the post-21st series cars. They would have had most attractive styling, especially with the vertical grille treatment.

The story of how these drawings survived is somewhat typical of other items rescued from the Packard trash bin. When Packard was shutting down, its design studio material was being discarded indiscriminately. John Rienhart was a designer for Packard at the time. He managed to retrieve the original Evers sketches, among other things. Later, in the early 1970s, Rienhart worked at the Ford Design Center, at the same time as a fellow Art Center graduate of my brother’s. He was shown the sketches by Rienhart and was given permission to make copies of them. Knowing my brother’s Packard background, he allowed him to make copies of the drawings, which I am sharing with you."</span>