ABS Controllers/ Ignition modules

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

(1) I'm in the never ending process of accumulating spare parts for my cars. Yesterday I got an abs contoller out of a 90 Reatta in a wrecking yard. Is this interchangeable with the ABS controller in my 91 cars? Padgett was kind enough to post pictures of all the components he thought we should keep as spares but didn't include the ABS box for the 91.

(2) I see delco ignition coils in the wrecking yard all the time. My 90 coupe has the original Magnavox. I find it pretty easy to tell the difference and to ID the coils. Delco are round and Magnavox are square. Question: Are the round Delco coils all the same and if so are the ignition modules all the same too? I'd like to upgrade my 90 to better ignition. It seems the operators in the wrecking yards here in California are removing the coils prior to crushing the cars. Is it possible the contents of the coils is considered Hazmat. Any thoughts?

Reason I have no 1991 pictures is because I do not have a 91 (yet).

Delco ignitions from 3800's seem to be the same through the start of the coil/plug units. One caveat: the Delco ignition for a 3.3 and for a 3.8 looks identical but is keyed differently (on the 14 pin connector) because they work with a single-ring balancer instead of the later dual ring on the 3800. The coils and bottom plate from any interchange but not the ICM.

Guest steveskyhawk

I guess my question is if I see coils that look like my 91 on a wreck will the coils and module underneath fit if from a 3800?

Guest steveskyhawk

Padgett,

I went to the link you indicated and then to Delco's vehicle list for the module D1977A. That list indicates that the module D1977A was used on 3800s from 90 to 2009.

Are all of these interchangeable? Will newer be better from the pick a part? Will the part number be on the part?

They are all the same part. Newer is geneally better simply because has been used less and exposed to less heat but are very rugged.

Most common problem I see in the yards is broken coil terminals so check for cracks.

When replaced, shops often leave off the third nut underneath (front, closest to engine) because it is a pain to get to.

I always keep a couple of spare complete assemblys around because it is an easy swap to check something out.

Guest steveskyhawk

I followed the links Padgett posted and found that the ignition module and coils were used on many cars.

New Delco parts are available:

Ignition Module Delco #D1977A About $180

Delco Coils (you need 3@ $40 each) About $120

Has anybody bought these parts at the wrecking yard lately? I'm not sure my driftwood coup needs a $300 igntion upgrade. It runs just as smooth as my 91 cars and gets better milage. Go figure? I think I'd better follow the old addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

I agree. $300 for the "wrong" part is not rational. OTOH the most I think I paid for a complete unit from a UPullit was $25 (and sometimes are two for one). A nice one is good to have and lets you put the Magnavox in a big baggie for a points show. (if the nuts are clean & engine cool it is a 10 minute swap).

BTW the $300 list does not include the bottom plate, studs & nuts (3), or coil screws (6)

I find the Delco idles smoother with a .060 plug gap (Rapidfire #14s)